• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

The article mentions pet waste and allowing dogs off leashes inside athletic parks and playgrounds that are fenced in...both of which are already against the law.

One thing I do know? One of the last groups you want to pick a fight with is dog owners.

That makes sense. I do let my dogs off leash from time to time at an empty soccer field at Sherwood Forest Elementary, but I always pick up after them and make sure no one else is there.

Sounds like they're trying to get dogs off of athletic fields and playgrounds...which I thought was already illegal. No idea what Raleigh is really trying to accomplish here.

It is already illegal. I once had a City animal control officer follow me TO MY HOUSE from my neighborhood park and accuse me of having had my dog off the leash in the park. I didn't (dog was on an extendable leash, so I guess she couldn't tell sitting in her car 200 feet away), she was wrong, and I told her so (I was super pissed about the accusation and let her have it, it was pretty cool). But, yeah, it's like a $50 ticket to have your dog off leash, and also a violation not to pick up pet waste, there are already signs to that effect on our parks, so I'm not exactly sure what this committee intends to do other than publicize it and try to get the enforcement officers to crack down.

Clorox_Concentrate.jpg

Hadn't heard about this one. Another rural vs. city power grab.

Senate Bill 236 allows the Boards of Commissioners in nine counties, including Wake, to take control of school construction and ownership away from school boards. The bill passed the Senate in a party-line vote and is awaiting action in the House. It moved to the House on Thursday.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/17/2897873/which-bills-survived-crossover.html#storylink=cpy

This one kills me: Senate Bill 956 would have required anyone taking ownership of pit bulls, Rottweilers, mastiffs, chows, Perro de Presa Canarios and any “wolf hybrids” to submit to a criminal background check, enroll in a four-hour course provided by the Humane Society or another rescue organization approved by the state Department of Insurance and get a special permit from the Department of Insurance to possess a dog “belonging to an aggressive breed.” It remained parked in the House rules committee.

Background checks for guns? NO! Background check to own an aggressive dog breed? HELL YES!

I realize this bill appears dead, but regardless it's hilarious it ever made it this far, yet we can't even discuss background checks for guns.

Just a whole lot of bullshit from this legislature.

This one kills me: Senate Bill 956 would have required anyone taking ownership of pit bulls, Rottweilers, mastiffs, chows, Perro de Presa Canarios and any “wolf hybrids” to submit to a criminal background check, enroll in a four-hour course provided by the Humane Society or another rescue organization approved by the state Department of Insurance and get a special permit from the Department of Insurance to possess a dog “belonging to an aggressive breed.” It remained parked in the House rules committee.

Background checks for guns? NO! Background check to own an aggressive dog breed? HELL YES!

I realize this bill appears dead, but regardless it's hilarious it ever made it this far, yet we can't even discuss background checks for guns.

Just a whole lot of bullshit from this legislature.

this was introduced by a Democrat, FYI. It's actually House Bill 956.

Column: Chris Fitzsimon says legislators know better than you

Quote:
-------------
...The folks in the majority in the General Assembly think they know better than anyone else about what should be happening in North Carolina, better than city councils and school boards, better then public health experts and law enforcement officials, better than scientists in the executive branch of state government, even better than the businesses leaders they claim they are trying to help create jobs...

...The folks running Raleigh now, the ones who claim to be for small, less intrusive government, want more control over your lives, your health and your city and county. They simply know better
-------------

^ I don't have a problem with an extra fee for electrics as long as it isn't punitive (they seem to be proposing $50 or $100/year, so, the equivalent of one or two tanks of gas). They drive on the roads too and somebody's got to pay for keeping up those roads. Every state is having a problem with declining gas taxes as cars get more efficient.

We drive fewer miles but we keep building more roads which add to efficiency. The math is tough.

Trucks are the ones who cause the most damage to the roads.

And truck owner/operators and transportation industries also pay more to upkeep those roads. The trucks/truckers/transportation industry ins't an issue.

I drive a hybrid that gets, at best 20mpg. It does, however, have the capability to power a TV at a tailgate while slow roasting some meats.

"Better teachers" does not necessarily equal "teacher with a masters degree". Plenty of studies say getting an advanced degree does not correlate with being a better teacher. http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2012/07/18/liberal-think-tank-says-advanced-degrees-dont-make-better-teachers/

There are plenty of better uses for that money than giving an automatic bump just because a teacher goes and gets an extra diploma.

"Better teachers" does not necessarily equal "teacher with a masters degree". Plenty of studies say getting an advanced degree does not correlate with being a better teacher. http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2012/07/18/liberal-think-tank-says-advanced-degrees-dont-make-better-teachers/

There are plenty of better uses for that money than giving an automatic bump just because a teacher goes and gets an extra diploma.

Except that automatic pay bump takes a beginning teacher from a salary of $30,800 to $33,880 or an increase of only $3,080 (http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/fbs/finance/salary/schedules/2012-13schedules.pdf). Pretty shitty pay bump for obtaining a graduate degree. Doesn't seem worth it to get an advanced degree if you are a teacher.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I see this as part of a grander scheme by the local GOP (I.e. not requiring licensure for private school teachers) to devalue traditional education and replace it with something else more to their liking. No, a Masters doesn't make a better teacher, but actively taking away any incentive for better training and education should be one of the last line items on the chopping block.

Back