• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Well said. This is a shot at colleges of education and graduate education.

I agree that there is an overarching theme of wrecking public ed in favor of private and especially religious schools. That doesn't mean that this isn't a good reform. Spend the money on incentive pay and performance based bonuses. I don't think a masters in education does anything to improve classroom teaching.it might make better administrators but we've got no effing shortage of those.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

State Senator Thom Goolsby

"Raleigh, NC - The circus came to the State Capitol this week, complete with clowns, a carnival barker and a sideshow. The “Reverend” Barber was decked out like a prelate of the Church of Rome (no insult is meant to Catholics), complete with stole and cassock. All he was missing was a miter and the ensemble would have been complete.

Several hundred people – mostly white, angry, aged former hippies – appeared and screeched into microphones, talked about solidarity and chanted diatribes. It was “liberal theater” at its best. Just like having a honey bun and double espresso for breakfast, the impact of it all left the participants jittery and empty in the end.

Never short on audacity, the Loony Left actually named their gathering “Moral Monday.” Between the screaming, foot stomping and disjointed speeches, it appeared more like “Moron Monday.” The gathering was supposed to influence legislators. However, no one thought to bring out any senate or house member from either party."

http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekl...adical-left-just-does-not-get-it-130607.shtml

Lesson here in NC must be if you dont get your way just bitch, moan, complain and protest each week and get arrested

dont these people have jobs? (wait, nevermind)

Lesson here in NC must be if you dont get your way just bitch, moan, complain and protest each week and get arrested

dont these people have jobs? (wait, nevermind)

lol. Good job aligning yourself with Reff. Whenever you find yourself doing that, you should probably re-evaluate your life.

It's a shame the NC protest didn't start 60-90 days ago. They may have had an impact on the Voting Rights Act case in front of the Supreme Court.

Tricia Cotham
Breaking News Moms- you can now take your gun to the playground. This was just passed in the NC Senate. Pack that diaper bag, sippy cup and your gun. Oh and others can bring their guns too.

Tricia Cotham
Breaking News Moms- you can now take your gun to the playground. This was just passed in the NC Senate. Pack that diaper bag, sippy cup and your gun. Oh and others can bring their guns too.

But for some strange reason, they won't allow guns in the General Assembly.

Admire the guy for sticking with his principles. Rare.

was thinking about this the other day before he resigned. no matter how much I disagree with his version of tax reform, he stuck to it and wanted no loopholes or exemptions. he definitely predicted the wave of special interests that are dumbing down any legit chance of semi-decent tax reform right now.

It's an impressive feat to be too far right for this legislature. Ruccho's biggest problem was not necessarily "special interests," (as he referred to the same industries that paid for his campaign) but rather the fact that very few citizens in NC are actually calling for wholesale tax reform of the type contemplated in his bill. It just wasn't popular. His fellow legislators know that, but he wanted them to go along anyway and got mad when they didn't. I admire his principles, but the ability to cooperate and seek compromise is a pretty basic trait for a good politician.

It's an impressive feat to be too far right for this legislature. Ruccho's biggest problem was not necessarily "special interests," (as he referred to the same industries that paid for his campaign) but rather the fact that very few citizens in NC are actually calling for wholesale tax reform of the type contemplated in his bill. It just wasn't popular. His fellow legislators know that, but he wanted them to go along anyway and got mad when they didn't. I admire his principles, but the ability to cooperate and seek compromise is a pretty basic trait for a good politician.

true. The whole tax reform process has been interesting. It seems Republicans thought it would be easy until they actually started putting the proposals together. The new Senate plan, IMO, is garbage. Hopefully it's just a placeholder to get something approved and then they can work off the House plan in conference.

One thing that isn't getting much attention in all of this is the fact that every plan I believe takes some revenues away from cities and counties, some replaced, others not. Worst case scenario there is higher property taxes or reductions in service.

true. The whole tax reform process has been interesting. It seems Republicans thought it would be easy until they actually started putting the proposals together. The new Senate plan, IMO, is garbage. Hopefully it's just a placeholder to get something approved and then they can work off the House plan in conference.

One thing that isn't getting much attention in all of this is the fact that every plan I believe takes some revenues away from cities and counties, some replaced, others not. Worst case scenario there is higher property taxes or reductions in service.

People are waking up to this. It was highlighted in both articles on tax reform in the GSO News and Record this morning. They're talking about revenue losses of over a hundred million dollars to municipalities five years out. Due to the imprecise way the media covers these issues I can't tell if that's a loss from today's actual revenue or a loss from five years out projected revenue (makes a huge difference). Assuming its a loss from today's actual revenue, the munis will have no choice but to impose higher property taxes. The articles also talked about the Senate bill allowing cities to add back sales taxes on food, but I can't tell if they will allow cities to hike their own sales tax rates without legislative approval (which in today's rural vs. urban environment would never be granted).

I don't know enough about Rucho or his plan to really defend him. I do know that the current Senate plan is shit. It un-taxes all corporate income and partially pays for it with a sales tax on utilities and a few additional services that don't have good lobbyists, plus revoking sales tax exemption for nonprofits (we'll see if that survives the onslaught by lobbyists for the big nonprofit hospitals). It doesn't get much more regressive than that. Small businesses are organized as S corps and LLCs and already don't pay corporate level tax, so this is just a giveaway to big publicly traded C corporations, while all our power bills will go up to pay for it. What a crock of shit.

[/B]

People are waking up to this. It was highlighted in both articles on tax reform in the GSO News and Record this morning. They're talking about revenue losses of over a hundred million dollars to municipalities five years out. Due to the imprecise way the media covers these issues I can't tell if that's a loss from today's actual revenue or a loss from five years out projected revenue (makes a huge difference). Assuming its a loss from today's actual revenue, the munis will have no choice but to impose higher property taxes. The articles also talked about the Senate bill allowing cities to add back sales taxes on food, but I can't tell if they will allow cities to hike their own sales tax rates without legislative approval (which in today's rural vs. urban environment would never be granted).

re: sales tax. Muni's will be helpless with regards to adding back the sales tax on food. Sales tax are controlled by the counties, who determine the method of distribution and whether or not to add additional sales taxes. I believe there are 2 additonal types of sales tax counties can levy (by voter approval). One is just a quarter cent for anything (and not to be shared among the municipalities), the other is for transit-related spending (Mecklenburg/Charlotte comes to mind).

Large cities receive around 30% of sales tax for the county they are in

If any of the plans currently out there were to get to McCrory's desk, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he vetoed them. He called for revenue neutral proposals and everything I've seen brings in many, many millions less than what is needed for the State to operate. That and these plans basically screw everyone.

Back