• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

http://raleighpublicrecord.org/featured/2012/06/06/senate-passes-controversial-fracking-bill/

"However, this new version of the bill also specifically legalizes waste water injection wells. This means that wastewater from drilling operations can be pumped directly in the ground as a means of disposal. It also specifically re-enacts the forced pooling of landowners, which means that if enough landowners in a specific area decide to allow fracking on their property, then all landowners must do so."

WTF

Could have sworn this was America. Guess not. Apparently, businesses can poison water and your neighbors can tell you what you have to do with your property.

Could have sworn this was America. Guess not. Apparently, businesses can poison water and your neighbors can tell you what you have to do with your property.

Compare this to the new law they passed last year allowing one landowner in an area to veto annexation by a city even if all neighbors are in favor. Cities bad, big petro good

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Compare this to the new law they passed last year allowing one landowner in an area to veto annexation by a city even if all neighbors are in favor. Cities bad, big petro good

Great comparison.

what's funny about the changes in annexation law is that NC used to have one of the most lax annexation laws in the country, then the GOP took power, wanted to limit some of it, got some resistance, and went all HAM and made it damn near impossible to annex in the future. Had a very vindictive feel to it

The NC Legislature is the Jeff [Redacted] of state governments.

update on tax cut negotiations

HOUSE OFFER MOVES ON CORPORATE TAX: From AP: The House's latest tax offer to the Senate would reduce the corporate income tax rate more quickly compared to the package the chamber approved two weeks ago and agrees to the Senate's position on the future of several sales tax exemptions, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press. The House offer would still retain the 2 percent local tax on groceries. The Senate wants to eliminate it. Both proposals would result in several hundred million fewer dollars for state tax coffers over the next two years, with the Senate proposal now sitting in a committee holding the higher price tag.

http://projects.newsobserver.com/un..._civitas_protester_database_draws_complaints#

I highly recommend the Morning Memo from the News & Observer, a good listing of articles around the state on politics in the state

We must cut unemployment insurance to fix the debt. We must not expand Medicare because it will explode the debt. We must eliminate the earned income tax credit because we have to fix the debt. We must cut education because we have to fix the debt. WE'RE GOING TO CUT TAXES (even though it will explode the debt). :dancindeac:

We must cut unemployment insurance to fix the debt. We must not expand Medicare because it will explode the debt. We must eliminate the earned income tax credit because we have to fix the debt. We must cut education because we have to fix the debt. WE'RE GOING TO CUT TAXES (even though it will explode the debt). :dancindeac:

Dude we have to cut the taxes to make the magic job fairies come so we can give them free land and cash incentives.

General Assembly passed a continuing resolution to keep the government running as they hash out a budget deal.

in tax reform news:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...COL-?SITE=NCWIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Gov. Pat McCrory said Wednesday that he and North Carolina legislative leaders are going through a "tough process" working on a tax overhaul, but he isn't going to spend a long time trying to facilitate a deal.

I found this interesting but not surprising. As Mayor in Charlotte, McCrory could focus on a few areas and then let city management and City Council do all the actual work and decision-making, basically embracing the role of NC Mayor as a mostly figurehead office. Regardless of whether you agree with his politics or not, it'd be nice to see some stronger leadership from the Governor on major issues like tax reform :noidea:

should be quiet on the NC front until after the holiday, not like passing a budget or major tax reform are important, especially after the start of a new fiscal year

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/06/27/2994184/impasse-over-competing-tax-plans.html

The House later announced it would not hold full sessions the week of July Fourth – meaning lawmakers will return to Raleigh on July 8, weeks after they had hoped to adjourn for the year.

Later in the article:

State law doesn’t require lawmakers to end session by any specific date, but Republican leaders hoped to leave this week. Each day they remain in session costs about $50,000.

just for the hell of it, here's one more article that illustrates with science why cutting unemployment benefits and hoping for bootstraps is bad policy. Turns out when you cut benefits for the long-term unemployed, they tend to stop looking for work (probably a lot of them become "disabled") instead of getting their bootstraps out, borrowing money, and opening a Bass Pro Shop.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/07/dont-blame-unemployment-insurance-for-our-jobs-crisis/277402/

It almost seems like piling on at this point, but since GOP legislators are still determined to practice faith-based economic policy I guess it's worthwhile to keep pointing out how stupid and counterproductive it is.

Fuck it...at this point I'm just hoping that the NC GOP will take enough rope to hang themselves with.

Senate says f it, here's our tax cut plan

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/01/3004723/senate-makes-final-tax-offer.html#

The major concessions in the new Senate plan include no state tax on Social Security, a lightning rod in the original plan that spurred political blowback. Other changes would maintain local government privilege taxes, allow unlimited charitable deductions for those who itemize, and offer a $15,000 maximum break for mortgage interest and property taxes – all points that drew loud opposition in the plan’s previous iteration.

It also includes a compromise personal income tax rate at 5.75 percent, which is about midway from the House’s proposal for 5.9 percent and the Senate previous position at 5.25 percent.

But the differences between the House and Senate are still considerable.

The Senate plan still gradually eliminates the state’s 6.9 percent corporate income tax, which the House maintains at 5.4 percent. Senate lawmakers also want to significantly lower the state franchise tax on businesses and eventually replace it with a privilege tax on all business entities. The House only moderately lowers the franchise tax.

Another significant sticking point is the Senate’s cap on the sales tax refund for nonprofits. The latest plan raises the tax break cap to $2.85 million at full implementation, a big shift from the previous $100,000 ceiling. The House proposes no changes to the tax break.

DeacHawk - Has Forsyth country decided yet if they are going to raise the prop tax rates to offset the lost revenue from the miserable appraisals this cycle? I've been out of the loop for a month or so.

DeacHawk - Has Forsyth country decided yet if they are going to raise the prop tax rates to offset the lost revenue from the miserable appraisals this cycle? I've been out of the loop for a month or so.

FY 13
Forsyth: 67.4 cents per $100 of valuation
Winston-Salem: 49.1 cents per $100 of valuation

FY 14:
Forsyth: 71.68 cents per $100 of valuation (increase of 4.28 cents)
Winston-Salem: 53.0 cents per $100 of valuation (increase of 3.9 cents)

If your property value decreased by less than 8% or did better (stayed the same, increased, etc.), then your taxes will increase. This is maybe 35-40% of the County if i remember correctly

i will note that it would have taken a rate of 74.18 for the County and 54.25 for the City for each to bring in the same amount of revenue as in FY 13.

Wasn't directed at me, but IIRC, they did increase tax rate to offset the general loss of home value, but not enough to be revenue neutral.

EFB

Back