• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

They're at it again: Motorcycle Safety Bill

"North Carolina House Republicans have, without notice, inserted sweeping changes to the state's abortion rules into a motorcycle safety law. Effectively, they've reintroduced the abortion bill that Governor Pat McCrory had threatened to veto."

http://boingboing.net/2013/07/10/north-carolina-house-republica.html

(oops, see this on the other thread as well)

1003451_10153002880040366_2008577439_n.jpg

How does NC expect to have good teachers?

I've said it before but my wife has 8 years of teaching experience and is paid like a second year teacher with decreased real income every single year. It's straight bullshit.

I've said it before but my wife has 8 years of teaching experience and is paid like a second year teacher with decreased real income every single year. It's straight bullshit.

It is your obligation to your wife to make sure her feet are clad in boots with stronger straps.

Some damning numbers from Public Policy Polling

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/07/abortion-bill-hurting-nc-republicans.html

For the first time since taking office Pat McCrory has a negative approval rating at 40/49. Down net 15 from June:

McCrory's approval has dropped by a net 20 points with independents and 17 with Democrats over the last month:

North Carolina voters oppose the abortion bill 47/34 and think McCrory should veto it by a 48/33 margin:

Only 29% of NC voters support legislation that caused 70,000 to lose unemployment benefits July 1st, 55% opposed

By a 76/13 margin NC voters think fracking companies should have to disclose chemicals, contra GOP Senate efforts

Only 17% of NC voters and even just 23% of Republicans think combating Sharia Law is important priority for state

Overall approval for GOP run state government in NC is 35% with 55% of voters disapproving

The protestors at General Assembly have a 47/40 favorability rating, voters like them more than legislature 47/41

By a 46/36 margin North Carolinians think the legislature is causing the state 'national embarrassment'

I forgot about the fact that the House could pass it and McCrory could do nothing...allowing to become law without ever having to sign it.

I do wonder if the GOP has become overconfident. How much can they press their luck before the backlash becomes too much in 2014 and 2016.

Pubs won the big one when they got to draw new district lines. So I don't foresee much backlash. Maybe moderate Dems getting beat by radical left newcomers.

This the Dems fault for corruption, mismanagement, and arrogance.

Pubs won the big one when they got to draw new district lines. So I don't foresee much backlash. Maybe moderate Dems getting beat by radical left newcomers.

This the Dems fault for corruption, mismanagement, and arrogance.

all true. The house (NC and nationally) will be GOP for at least 10 years. The Dems can take back the governor's mansion and possibly the senate, though, as the districts are not as micro-gerrymandered as the house. If they can do that in time for the 2020 census, maybe they can bring the redistricting back into a more reasonable balance.

awesome

That kind of closeness between Tillis and Berger could explain some of the chippiness between their operations, highlighted by the apparent discovery last week that Berger's staff was running a parody Twitter account of Tillis.

I don't think she can win a statewide election. Her district is so choice for her politics. That part of the state is nearly completely devoid of minority voters.

Back