• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

NC GOP "compromise":

1. Being gay in NC will only be punishable by 15 years in maximum security rather than a capital offense.
2. BKF will vote for all the black people left in NC as they don't know how to vote correctly for themselves.

Governor Cooper HB2 proposal

1. Repeal HB2
2. Tougher penalties for crimes in bathrooms
3. Local governments must give 30 day notice on any discrimination (or non-discrimination?) votes

Seems like a really reasonable compromise.

Seems like a really reasonable compromise.

per the Twitter, the NC Speaker wasn't made aware of the compromise until the press conference, and Cooper stated that he didn't want to negotiate through the media. So not the smartest/smoothest move on his part, IMO. Hopefully everyone acts like adults and they find a middle ground. But let's be honest...

From their responses to Cooper's proposal, doesn't seem like Moore or Berger are serious about repealing HB2. I guess at this point it's more important to them to deny Cooper a "win" than to, you know, not continue hurting the NC economy.

From their responses to Cooper's proposal, doesn't seem like Moore or Berger are serious about repealing HB2. I guess at this point it's more important to them to deny Cooper a "win" than to, you know, not continue hurting the NC economy.

Winning! So much!

this was the compromise i suggested weeks ago (not that Cooper got the idea from me). NC pubs are moving the goalposts here. For the last year it's been protecting our womenfolk from sexual assault. Dems come up with something to address that which could allow pubs to walk back from the precipice and declare victory. In fact, the Cooper proposal actually has an enforcement mechanism and teeth that HB2 never had. Now its about "basic privacy concerns" and hetero men pretending to be trans so they can just hang out in bathrooms and make women "uncomfortable". the law already addresses that and has for years - specifically, the laws against peeping toms and stalking and so forth. They have penalties that are being bolstered by Cooper's proposal.

Not that this is surprising from the Berger boys.

this was the compromise i suggested weeks ago (not that Cooper got the idea from me). NC pubs are moving the goalposts here. For the last year it's been protecting our womenfolk from sexual assault. Dems come up with something to address that which could allow pubs to walk back from the precipice and declare victory. In fact, the Cooper proposal actually has an enforcement mechanism and teeth that HB2 never had. Now its about "basic privacy concerns" and hetero men pretending to be trans so they can just hang out in bathrooms and make women "uncomfortable". the law already addresses that and has for years - specifically, the laws against peeping toms and stalking and so forth. They have penalties that are being bolstered by Cooper's proposal.

Not that this is surprising from the Berger boys.

Cooper at least lurks here to negrep and troll 2&2.

16807476_10210685604848983_7149333619732112829_n.jpg

Well done. There has been reporting on this very issue, but media outlets don't command the respect they used to (I wonder who might be undercutting their credibility?), so private citizens are forced to spend their time, money, and resources on ads/billboards/etc.

And Big Chalk

Representative Democracy!

Burr officials could not be reached for immediate comment on the graffiti, including whether they have requested an investigation. The voicemail to Burr’s local office was full.

Last edited:

Constitutional scholars; has the no-secession section always been in the Constitution, or was it amended after the Civil War?

Another would repeal the constitutional requirement that voters be able to read.

It reads: "Sec. 4. Qualification for registration.
Every person presenting himself for registration shall be able to read and write any section of the Constitution in the English language."

Inclusivity! Kind of.

What's the reason for repealing the section on secession? Just neo-confederate nuts or is there some other angle I'm not seeing. The California effort is funded by the Russians. So it would be a good way to scam some money if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
I'll link the complaint later, but two NC District Attorneys and a District Court judge were sued yesterday in a whistleblower lawsuit. Pretty incredible allegations.

What's the reason for repealing the section on secession?

I guess it motivates the base? #StatesRights

If everything is so FUBAR that you're seriously considering secession, no one is consulting the state Constitution to inform the decision.

Back