• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

We explained the leverage. They don’t want to get shunned at the country club.

My pet conspiracy theory is that the GOP stuck with Kavanaugh through the assault allegations because that had something specifically impeachable on him that they would't necessarily have on another justice, and they wanted this material to hold over their justice's head should he decide to grow a conscience.

I will just have to respectfully disagree with your jaded and depressing point of view of the one institution that has been the engine of more social progress than any other.

RBG and Scalia were incredibly close friends off of the bench despite being diametric opposites on it.

I guess I’d like to think that there are 9 people willing to put the rule of law and over 200 years of jurisprudence over party affiliation.

Maybe I’m the rube.

Also, the federalists arent going to pick somebody that has been faking being right wing their entire life.

Whoa. Wasn't really expecting to see that.

I will just have to respectfully disagree with your jaded and depressing point of view of the one institution that has been the engine of more social progress than any other.

RBG and Scalia were incredibly close friends off of the bench despite being diametric opposites on it.

I guess I’d like to think that there are 9 people willing to put the rule of law and over 200 years of jurisprudence over party affiliation.

Maybe I’m the rube.

Scalia is the guy who overturned 200 years of jurisprudence and created an individual right to bear arms. Nobody even conceived of that as a right until the NRA started pushing it about 50 years ago. They spent those 50 years working to find 5 justices who would write into law for them, and it worked. What makes you think overruling Roe is any different than overruling the settled precedent Scalia dismantled in Heller?

But you can crap all over them if you believe you’re following the law — which you’ve dedicated your life to doing — because you have a lifetime appointment.

Nobody has any leverage over a Justice in that scenario because they have a lifetime appointment.

The Justice will continue to make $255K a year for the as long as he or she continues to serve.

I’m sure they can just turn off Fox News if their feelings get hurt.

Kennedy just retired out of the blue while his son was linked to the bank unit that lent to Trump. Maybe that’s all 100% coincidental but it sure looked like someone got some leverage on him.

This shouldn't be a surprise.

[h=1]Hofeller files: Lawmakers lied to federal court in 2017, preventing NC from getting special election[/h]
http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2019/0...-preventing-nc-from-getting-special-election/

The 2011 North Carolina legislative maps are among the largest racial gerrymanders ever encountered by a federal court, and the state could have held a special election under new voting districts, but GOP lawmakers lied about needing more time to draw them, according to documents from deceased mapmaker Tom Hofeller.

It turns out the maps had been drawn all along and the “public” process the legislature put on at the time was a sham.

“In July 2017, legislative defendants convinced the federal district court in [North Carolina v.] Covington not to order special elections under new remedial maps in 2017, based on legislative defendants’ repeated statements that they had not yet started drawing new districts at all and needed sufficient time to develop criteria, draft the plans, and receive public input,” states a court motion filed Thursday in Wake County Superior Court. “The Hofeller files reveal that Dr. Hofeller had in fact already substantially completed drawing the 2017 plans in June 2017 before legislative defendants stated the process had even begun and a month and a half before the adopted criteria were even introduced and adopted.”

In addition to lying about the maps not having been drawn, the legislative defendants told the federal court and the public that neither they nor Hofeller had any racial data on the new districts being developed.

“They said that ‘data regarding the race of voters … was not even loaded into the computer used by the map drawer to construct the districts,’” states Thursday’s motion. “The Hofeller files reveal that Dr. Hofeller had data on the racial composition of the proposed districts in every one of his draft maps, including drafts prepared after he was formally retained by legislative defendants.”

Pubs talking = lying.

There’s a reason they were ripe for takeover by a despotic conman.

http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2019/07/22/nc-supreme-court-justice-publicly-maligns-colleagues-urges-critics-of-america-to-just-leave-the-country/?fbclid=IwAR2g4uRWyqPRmKsM0jPcJ_kxv-CxQv45Uvm9EYO4rye8v3MTQg74_rpzBL4

One of NC's top justices whips up a crowd by telling them to watch out for power grabs by his colleagues, and parrots Trump's "just leave" line.

Newby, a NC Supreme Court justice, is basically encouraging Republicans to disregard the rule of law if they don't like the outcome of court cases.

I am increasingly worried about how all of this is going to end.

Seems to be a violation of judicial ethics, but then again I think the concept of publicly electing judges also runs counter to most tenets of judicial ethics.

ETA: I'm sure NC, like most states that elect judges, has a section in the judicial canons regarding permissible conduct as a candidate. Seems like he's publicly declared that he's running for chief justice so I'd imagine he can engage in any constitutionally protected speech as long it is not explicitly prohibited.

Regardless, electing judges remains a stupid fucking idea.

Last edited:
That asshole got off way too easy. 18 months probation to dismiss his crime of a history of threatening his ex.

I’m going to push back on the idea that electing judges is a stupid idea, at least at the statewide level. Either the judges are elected directly by the people or the people elect representatives who appoint and vote on them. For our appellate courts, it seems the people have done a generally decent job as of late. However, I’d like to see appointments at the local level, where voters will be far less educated on the candidates.

Back