• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Jeeeesus. Come on.

https://www.wral.com/republicans-move-to-keep-critical-race-theory-out-of-nc-schools/19672798/

The surprise legislation on a controversial subject drew quick rebuke from some Democrats, including Rep. James Gailliard, D-Nash, who called it "a bill of hatred ... a bill of privilege ... a bill of fragility.”

When House K-12 Education committee Co-chairman Hugh Blackwell, R-Burke, who is white, called on Gailliard to debate the measure in committee, he initially mistook him for Rep. Brandon Lofton, D-Mecklenburg. Both Gailliard and Lofton are Black lawmakers, but Lofton isn't on the education committee.

"That's exactly the purpose of my comments, all due respect, Mr. Chairman," Gailliard said. "I'm Rep. Gailliard. I think this is an anti-education bill."

If Republicans keep this up they won't be able to keep or get enough teachers to adequately staff all the public schools. Some member of the NC legislature just proposed that all public school teachers be required to make their daily lesson plans public for parental approval. Of course if there was a severe teacher shortage they'd just use it as more evidence that the public schools are a failure and more money should be spent somewhere else.

Surry county combats Coke: “I don’t think that the taxpayers and citizens of this county want us to spend their money on anything that is associated with the social justice, woke, Critical Race Theory, intolerant, bigoted, Democrat mob that is so prevalent in our country today,” said commissioner Eddie Harris shortly before the vote.
http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/news/49797/county-pushes-back-against-corporate-wokeness-bans-coke-machines. Apologies for the local to me, not the story, article but I don't want to give the Carolina Journal the clicks.

"Coca-Cola is one of a growing number of major American corporations who have pushed Democratic Party talking points."

Coke is for voting.

as a tit for tat, it is time to eliminate the church tax exempt status. this should have happened a long time ago.

In a letter sent to Coke executives, the Surry County commissioners criticized the company for its political activity while remaining silent on human rights abuses in countries like China.

From the structure of this sentence alone, I can't tell which party (Surry County or Coke) is being called out for not speaking out against human rights abuses in China.

Chances those dumb dumbs get Minute Maid orange juice with their morning meeting bagels and smart water in the afternoon.

Well, that didn't take long. Surry County Commissioners voted 3-2 to rescind the ban on Coca-Cola machines in the county courthouse after it was pointed out to them that the Coke machines are owned by an independent bottling company in Charlotte and not directly by the Coca-Cola corporation, and after national ridicule and a local lashback that led to numerous people criticizing the commissioners at their latest meeting.

Following Coke CEO James Quincey's criticisms of GA's new voting laws, "Surry County Commissioner Eddie Harris made a motion during a May 17 board meeting to remove Coke machines from county property, calling Quincey’s statement an “attempt by the major corporations and globalists to circumvent our election process.” Harris said the Georgia voting law was an issue of “election integrity” and suggested Quincey, who is British, “go back to England and mind his own business"...Harris was later interviewed on Fox & Friends, where he said the vote stemmed from wanting to “push back against this woke cancel culture.” “Our citizens support this,” he said. “They’re absolutely sick and tired of this outrageous left-wing mob that is attacking freedom of speech, that is attacking people’s jobs.”

Several residents also spoke out against the ban — including Julian Charles Robinson, who described the previous board meeting as “full of conspiracy, hate talk and far right-wing activism.” “How much will it take for the far-right Republicans sitting here who spoke last week, how much evidence will it take for them to accept and go home having lost the election?” he said. “What’s it going to take?” Wes Caudill from Elkin said commissioners passed the vending machine ban against Coca-Cola Consolidated and “didn’t have a clue about what they did.” He said he also heard commissioners talk about not wanting companies like Amazon to come to the county. “Quite frankly, if you sit on the Board of Commissioners for Surry County and you would refuse any company to bring economic development to our county, you are a moron,” Caudill said.

My, how far Mayberry has fallen.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/moron-north-carolina-county-ends-211327124.html

NC representatives Foxx and Cawthorn introduced a similar bill in the US House.

Well, it's not surprising that Foxx or Cawthorn would be "anti-education" seeing as how neither of them has ever shown any sign of being educated.

I'm sure that some of our Tunnels Right posters will be very pleased to hear this. A constitutional amendment to ban Affirmative Action programs in NC. The NC GOP is going all-in on culture war issues, it appears.

Republicans love to invent “problems” to “solve”.

Good thing we don’t have any real ones whut needs ‘dressin’.

Back