• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

A dome over memorial stadium would have royally fucked Ric Flair's helicopter entrance for the Great American Bash

Gov. Cooper appoints Democrat to be a state district judge in northeastern NC, and the day after she's sworn in she changes her party registration from Democrat to Republican. "I've always been a conservative. It's [the GOP] has always been the party that best represents my values", said District Court Judge Jennifer Bland. Strange how she didn't notify Cooper of her intention to switch parties before she was appointed. Cooper's office blamed the switch on the GOP-controlled state legislature making judicial offices partisan again.

Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-day-after-swearing-in-new-nc-judge-switches-registration/ar-AAPwvc8?ocid=entnewsntp

Last edited:

Not at all surprising, but that's kind of the whole point of extreme gerrymandering and voter restriction laws - turn a purple state into one whose government is still deep red. The NC GOP is setting themselves up nicely to dominate US House districts and the state legislature for at least another decade, no matter what the statewide vote may be. They've also split Forsyth and especially Guilford and Wake Counties into pieces to dilute the Democratic strength in them and leave them in mostly Republican districts.

Lol Guilford is in three different districts with voters from Concord, West Jefferson, and Sanford.

BTW, that's only one of five different proposed maps.

And here's your likely GOP candidate for NC Governor in 2024, folks:

“Choking on my own blood” huh? What’s the GOP stance on covid again?

The next step will be to just outlaw the Democratic Party altogether. Having an official one-party state will save money by negating the need for elections and allow the state legislature to cut corporate taxes again. Everybody wins!

So remind me how this works. The state had to redraw the maps bc too gerrymandered but the new “better” map is even more gerrymandered?

So remind me how this works. The state had to redraw the maps bc too gerrymandered but the new “better” map is even more gerrymandered?

The NC Supreme Court had a 6-1 Democratic majority when the original ruling was made. It is now down to a bare 4-3 majority. Maybe the NC GOP is thinking they can get one of the 4 Dems to switch, especially as some of them are up for reelection in 2022. Or maybe they're just following the new GOP playbook and going to the fullest extreme and daring the Democrats or anyone else to do anything about it.

Back