• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Is it just for free charging though? I didn't even know that was a thing on public property -- think it's awesome though.

yeah, lots of people who rent or live in an apartment rely on these public level 2 chargers to be able to charge their car. Lots of government owned ones are free (in Durham we have some free charging in city parking garages) because it incentives reducing localized pollution in city centers.

A frightening thought: Democrats currently have a bare 4-3 majority on the NC Supreme Court, and 2 of the 4 Democratic seats are up for reelection this year. And polls currently show the 2 GOP candidates for those seats leading the Democratic candidates by substantial margins. If the GOP wins control of the court in November, we'll see a completely different State Supreme Court starting next year, and not in a good way.

JHC. smh

JHC. smh

You would think being instructed to remain ignorant would raise a red flag with your average rube that maybe this guy is trying to con them. But I guess that never dawns on them.

it takes roughly 2nd grade reading level to recognize which of those tweets is divisive and antagonistic. thankfully we don't fund public schools so nobody can read

It wasn't even two years ago that Republicans rioted because the country elected a multiracial presidential ticket.

Tying teacher's pay to their standardized test score results is a really, really bad idea, and will likely lead to even more people leaving the profession and make it even harder to recruit new ones. I read an article when this new system was first discussed that it had already been tried in the Houston, TX public schools and it was such a disaster that some teachers took it to court and a federal judge sided with the teachers and overturned the pay system. Supposedly there will be other metrics, such as teacher observation reviews by school administrators and how many extracurricular/leadership roles teachers take in their schools, but I suspect that Republicans will have it eventually come down mostly to test scores.

Also, not every subject has a state standardized test anymore, so I wonder if that means they're going to bring back standardized tests for all subjects, which isn't good for the students. One reason NC cut back on the number of standardized tests was because they noted the stress for students and the sheer cost of giving so many standardized tests. This will likely prove to be a major screw-up, but it will give the NC GOP another excuse to divert even more money to charters and vouchers.

I found the article discussing the Houston, TX case: "There are numerous problems with the value-added system, on top of the overall failure of using standardized test data to improve teacher or student performance. In fact, an EVAAS-based system for teachers was attempted over a decade ago in Houston, TX. Research by experts in the field found that the system was a failure, and that EVAAS produced data that was no better than random numbers assigned to teachers. Houston teachers took the system and EVAAS to court, where experts laid out twelve damning findings about the value-added model and the US Magistrate agreed with the teachers, saying “high stakes employment decisions based on secret algorithms (are) incompatible with...due process.” The suit had been filed in 2014; the court ruled against EVAAS in 2017."

Link to article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterg...pays-teachers-its-a-bad-plan/?sh=49199bf11d7a

Last edited:
It’s a bold (read: completely fucking moronic) strategy considering that many of these rural white conservative school districts already have to subsidize teacher pay at the county level to attract teachers.

These corrupt dipshits should probably start building out their private school/charter/home school infrastructure beyond the suburbs into the country before they torpedo “poor performing” schools.

Back