Page 3 of 338 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 6744

Thread: Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by 94Deac View Post
    Delete this thread. Just not worth the risk Georgia politicians might see it and realize another state has found even more fucked up ways to shit on education and voting than they have.
    To whom should I address the email?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Ball State Deac View Post
    No way, man. Love the straight ticket.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. If you're (plural) so blinded that you think one party is the solution, you should at least have to pick them out, line-by-line.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by 94Deac View Post
    This ranks up there with saying the inability to use a typewriter is a problem. It's a "problem" which is gradually becoming irrelevant.
    Thanks, I laughed. I can see you using your finger "quotes" to make your point.

  4. #44
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,545
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    Sounds like very minor problems to me.

    If it's that important to you, teach them to read cursive yourself.
    I taught myself cursive in the 1st grade by looking at a handwriting book. I'm sure there is an iPad program to learn cursive.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    Show us some evidence that that's a problem, and then we can talk about a solution. If there's no problem, then there's no need for a solution.
    "I'll take proving a negative, for $2,000 Alex."

    You'll never be able to prove that there is a problem when the laws forbid factual inquiry. I could ban radar guns, but that wouldn't stop speeding.

    NC is an Organizing for America playground: Sunday voting with no voter i.d. laws. El-Oh-El.
    Last edited by jhmd2000; 03-29-2013 at 10:13 PM.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmd2000 View Post
    "I'll take proving a negative, for $2,000 Alex."

    You'll never be able to prove that there is a problem when the laws forbid factual inquiry. I could ban radar guns, but that wouldn't stop speeding.

    NC is an Organizing for America playground: Sunday voting with no voter i.d. laws. El-Oh-El.
    You're talking about gun violence, right?

  7. #47
    I write everything in cursive and so do my bosses. If I couldn't read cursive there is 0% chance I'd be able to do my job. It's faster to write so when taking notes in a meeting it's how I write and that's how my bosses take notes in their meetings.

    I do think that cursive is important.
    Hungry

  8. #48
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Why doesn't the GOP in NC just drop the pretense and say, "blacks can't vote in our state. Scalia said the VRA is a racial entitlement and we don't believe in entitlements."

    You wonder why the GOP loses blacks by 90 points and Hispanics by 50 points and growing. Their overt actions to keeps these groups from voting is hard to miss.

  9. #49
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,545
    You're pretty old school in 2013.

  10. #50
    When I was in school, handwriting was a grade and we were required to write everything in cursive from 3rd grade on.
    Hungry

  11. #51
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,545
    Yeah. Same here. That's why I taught myself. You could probably take notes just fine on a tablet in 2013. You'll probably be able to think notes in 2043.

  12. #52
    I practiced on my own because I was getting straight A's (in elementary and middle school which was a joke) except for my handwriting grade...

    My big issue isn't that I want to know how to write cursive, it's that all of my boss's notes are in cursive. I have a hard enough time reading the handwriting even though I was taught how to write in cursive. I can't imagine that some recent grad will have any idea what that chicken scratch looks like.
    Hungry

  13. #53

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    NC Legislature targets "arrogant" cities

    http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/...-arrogant.html
    "Democrats, once as strong in rural counties as in metropolitan areas, now find their strength confined largely to urban cores."

  15. #55
    The most frustrating thing about the General Assembly's attack on municipalities is that municipal board meetings in NC are by and large non-partisan affairs. Pick any random municipality in NC, attend a meeting, watch them discuss police and fire protection, garbage collection, parks and recreation, planning and zoning, water and sewer, streets and sidewalks, etc and you will see very little partisanship. In fact, you could likely attend 5 meetings and walk away having little idea the party affiliations of most members of that board or council. The fact is, when it comes to the vast majority of issues most NC municipalities deal with on a regular basis, party affiliation is meaningless. Citizens just want to know their trash will get collected and that when they flush their toilets, the waste goes away.

    Yet here we are with these idiots going after municipal governments, which in NC have relatively little authority anyway compared to other states, because urban areas tend to vote Democrat. It's extremely frustrating.

    It would be nice to think these legislators will face the consequences during the next election, but the way they've rigged the district boundaries, it's a tall task. Another example of politics sucking.

  16. #56
    I have known Senator Tillman for over 25 years and he is a good man. I get sick of the tired old arguments that any laws that make voters prove who they are are racist, or disenfranchise anyone. That's bullshit and anyone with half a brain knows it. It's never a problem showing ID to do a multitude of things, EXCEPT to vote. That on it's face is wrong. I think early voting and absentee voting opens the door for fraud. What ever happened to showing up, standing in line and casting a vote? Have we gotten so damn lazy that we can't be inconvenienced with standing there on Election Day with our friends and neighbors to decide who should represent us?

  17. #57
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Why is early voting bad unless don't want people to vote?

    The reality is ID laws are a poll tax. If you don't pay, you cant' vote. Poll taxes are unequivocally unconstitutional.

  18. #58
    Well let's see. First you vote early, and then you vote on Election Day. That's 2 votes you cast. Throw in an absentee ballot and there ya' go. 3 votes! Do you honestly think every multiple vote will be caught and disallowed?
    The argument of a 'poll tax' is the classic deflection/straw man argument. As I said, Folks have to show ID to do ANYTHING anymore. Shouldn't we require it in something as important as our elections?

  19. #59
    Punishingly Intricate
    DeacHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WINSTON-SALEM
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by SCdemondeacer View Post
    I have known Senator Tillman for over 25 years and he is a good man. I get sick of the tired old arguments that any laws that make voters prove who they are are racist, or disenfranchise anyone. That's bullshit and anyone with half a brain knows it. It's never a problem showing ID to do a multitude of things, EXCEPT to vote. That on it's face is wrong. I think early voting and absentee voting opens the door for fraud. What ever happened to showing up, standing in line and casting a vote? Have we gotten so damn lazy that we can't be inconvenienced with standing there on Election Day with our friends and neighbors to decide who should represent us?
    maybe people can't miss work on Election Day. Providing another means for them to decide who should represent them should be encouraged, not limited, which you seem to be advocating.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by SCdemondeacer View Post
    Well let's see. First you vote early, and then you vote on Election Day. That's 2 votes you cast. Throw in an absentee ballot and there ya' go. 3 votes! Do you honestly think every multiple vote will be caught and disallowed?
    The argument of a 'poll tax' is the classic deflection/straw man argument. As I said, Folks have to show ID to do ANYTHING anymore. Shouldn't we require it in something as important as our elections?
    this isn't tammany hall dude. show me some sort of actual proof of this happening, and not just an isolated incident.
    This sentence is false.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •