• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

maybe people can't miss work on Election Day. Providing another means for them to decide who should represent them should be encouraged, not limited, which you seem to be advocating.

well it's mainly just people who vote democrat anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

maybe people can't miss work on Election Day. Providing another means for them to decide who should represent them should be encouraged, not limited, which you seem to be advocating.

Don't you think that early/absentee voting is easier to corrupt than showing up on Election Day and casting a vote? Of course it is. I also understand that people have different obligations and circumstances that may prevent them from voting on Election Day. But I see nothing wrong with requiring them to show positive proof of who they are to do either!

Some of us are busy and don't have all day to stand in line to vote. Early voting allows me to slip downtown and vote quickly when I know I can get in and out in 30 minutes or so.

The idea that this would be done away with is ridiculous.

Some of us are busy and don't have all day to stand in line to vote. Early voting allows me to slip downtown and vote quickly when I know I can get in and out in 30 minutes or so.

The idea that this would be done away with is ridiculous.

Did you read the article? No, of course not. Sen Tillman's bill limits the time frame of early voting, it doesn't eliminate it. People like you can still vote early. I'm so sorry you are so busy that you can't devote a little time for democracy.

Well let's see. First you vote early, and then you vote on Election Day. That's 2 votes you cast. Throw in an absentee ballot and there ya' go. 3 votes! Do you honestly think every multiple vote will be caught and disallowed?
The argument of a 'poll tax' is the classic deflection/straw man argument. As I said, Folks have to show ID to do ANYTHING anymore. Shouldn't we require it in something as important as our elections?

Are you high?

Did you read the article? No, of course not. Sen Tillman's bill limits the time frame of early voting, it doesn't eliminate it. People like you can still vote early. I'm so sorry you are so busy that you can't devote a little time for democracy.

I devote as little time as I possibly can to the mechanical act of voting, but if you want to spend all day doing so, then knock yourself out.

And what purpose is there of limiting the time period of early voting, unless it is just a desperate GOP manuever to limit turnout.

There is no legitimate objection to early voting, especially with a voter i.d. requirement.
There is no legitimate objection to a voter i.d. requirement, especially with ample opportunity to vote early (and once).

Glad to take any honest arguments otherwise (no offense, RJ).

There is no legitimate objection to early voting, especially with a voter i.d. requirement.
There is no legitimate objection to a voter i.d. requirement, especially with ample opportunity to vote early (and once).

Glad to take any honest arguments otherwise (no offense, RJ).

I agree wholeheartedly.

As far as voting early the historical reasons for having national elections on a Tuesday in November were to allow maximum participation (after harvest and allowed travel from rural areas). I find it interesting that in the 21st century we have to expand it to multiple days/weeks to maximize participation.

Election Day just needs to be a national holiday and then you can end early voting.

No you can't people will be traveling or ill.

How about having enough polling locations and workers? Many states can't even handle as it is. To think we have the infrastructure or manpower to do your option is not realistic.

Because it's the 21st century we should use all instruments to get the most people to vote.

Election Day should be a holiday weekend. Polls open Saturday, Sunday, Monday (or Friday, Saturday, Sunday). You can make it one of those days or fill out an absentee ballot.

No you can't people will be traveling or ill.

How about having enough polling locations and workers? Many states can't even handle as it is. To think we have the infrastructure or manpower to do your option is not realistic.
Because it's the 21st century we should use all instruments to get the most people to vote.

In case you were playing RJ Hypocrisy Bingo at home, if you had "We don't have the infrastructure or manpower to run once every four years, but we DO have it to run a single-payer health care system everyday, everywhere", please come claim your prize.

#RJOut

Election Day should be a holiday weekend. Polls open Saturday, Sunday, Monday (or Friday, Saturday, Sunday). You can make it one of those days or fill out an absentee ballot.

F that. I'm going to the beach on a holiday weekend.

The most frustrating thing about the General Assembly's attack on municipalities is that municipal board meetings in NC are by and large non-partisan affairs. Pick any random municipality in NC, attend a meeting, watch them discuss police and fire protection, garbage collection, parks and recreation, planning and zoning, water and sewer, streets and sidewalks, etc and you will see very little partisanship. In fact, you could likely attend 5 meetings and walk away having little idea the party affiliations of most members of that board or council. The fact is, when it comes to the vast majority of issues most NC municipalities deal with on a regular basis, party affiliation is meaningless. Citizens just want to know their trash will get collected and that when they flush their toilets, the waste goes away.

Yet here we are with these idiots going after municipal governments, which in NC have relatively little authority anyway compared to other states, because urban areas tend to vote Democrat. It's extremely frustrating.

It would be nice to think these legislators will face the consequences during the next election, but the way they've rigged the district boundaries, it's a tall task. Another example of politics sucking.

Yeah, maybe. But partisan issues do crop up in the cities. Like mass transit. The Republican legislature is looking to cut off any state funding for proposed mass transit projects at the knees as they require state funding. It's blatant.

Also, some of these small towns run by Republican cabals who control the police force, the DA's office and any and all development. Those are generally awful places to live.

So people are going to all this trouble to get like 1 or 2 extra votes in? who, exactly? I've still never seen any proof of this nor do I know anyone who would do so.

The only time this would be worrisome is if there was some kind of organization behind it.

The GOP doesn't lose elections by voter fraud. They lose elections by being less appealing.

So people are going to all this trouble to get like 1 or 2 extra votes in? who, exactly? I've still never seen any proof of this nor do I know anyone who would do so.

The only time this would be worrisome is if there was some kind of organization behind it.

The GOP doesn't lose elections by voter fraud. They lose elections by being less appealing.

This message brought to you by Gore/Lieberman 2000.

Back