• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

DHHS Secretary Aldona Wos grilled by a bi-partisan committee for 9 hours yesterday.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/08/3265489/dhhs-meeting-with-legislators.html

Nor were some happy with DHHS Secretary Dr. Aldona Wos’ explanation that she followed state rules when paying two 24-year-olds $85,000 and $87,500 respectively.

It’s hard to respond to constituents who read that someone with an English degree and one year out of college is making more than twice what a teacher with five years experience earns, Sen. Tommy Tucker, a Union County Republican, said. “I’m disappointed,” he said. “We get blamed for your actions.”

Dr. Aldona Wos Fundraiser $1 The Greensboro physician and former ambassador to Estonia worked as a fundraiser last year for Gov. Pat McCrory.
Margaret 'Mardy' Peal Fundraiser $95,000 Peal gave $1,250 to the McCrory campaign in 2012 and helped organize the Eastern North Carolina Tea Party in 2010.
Ricky Diaz McCrory campaign $85,000 Diaz, who graduated from Vanderbilt with a bachelor’s degree in economics, worked as Pat McCrory’s campaign press secretary and, before that, for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and his campaign.
Matt McKillip McCrory campaign $87,500 McKillip has an English degree from Georgetown University and spent 11 months as a policy research assistant at the American Enterprise Institute. He joined Pat McCrory’s campaign as policy and research coordinator from April 2012 to November 2012.
Joe Hauck Donor $228,000 Hauck is a vice president for New Breed Logistics where Wos' husband Louis DeJoy is CEO. Hauck was hired under a contract worth $310,000 for 10 months. He gave $6,500 to Pat McCrory.
Les Merritt Former state auditor $58,500 Merrritt, a former state auditor, is under a $312,000 annual contract.
Aaron Mullins McCrory campaign $68,000 Mullins, a lobbyist and filmmaker who made an election-night video for Pat McCrory was a legislative aide to former U.S. Sens. Elizabeth Dole and Don Nickles of Oklahoma.

On a brighter note, all positive Election Days results for progressives in Wake County. Voters approved bonds for schools and transportation improvements, and also swept out the last of the Republican school board members.

On a brighter note, all positive Election Days results for progressives in Wake County. Voters approved bonds for schools and transportation improvements, and also swept out the last of the Republican school board members.

at least until General Assembly gets back in session and nullifies the election or redistricts Wake County to guarantee a tea party school board.

residents in wake county are probably some of the best educated in the state

at least until General Assembly gets back in session and nullifies the election or redistricts Wake County to guarantee a tea party school board.

I actually think they already did by attempting to change the districts.

I'm more interested in where the rest of that $90M is going.

Chris Fitzsimon on the problem with the truth at DHHS

Quote:
----------
...McCrory knows that administrative costs of the Medicaid program are not 30 percent higher than other states, but he keeps saying it anyway. His own department knows, too.

It is no longer a matter of the problems with medical payments and processing food stamps, or even paying political cronies high salaries.

The question now, in light of Hoban’s story, is more fundamental. Can we trust the folks running DHHS to tell us the truth?
----------

McCrory has halted plans to renovate the bathrooms.

Gov. Pat McCrory has decided against spending up to $230,000 in taxpayer funds remodeling bathrooms in his private living quarters at North Carolina's Executive Mansion.
http://wral.m0bl.net/r/1oh3le

Look for an announcement tomorrow that he hired a 23 year old University Studies major as his PR rep and is paying that person $230k/yr.

1mzoRv.AuSt.156.jpeg

I think it is a concerted effort from workers in other industries to strike in favor of teachers for there to be any real reform in favor of teachers.

Along the way Aasif Mandvi interviewed Don Yelton, a GOP executive committee member in North Carolina. In addition to getting Yelton to admit on-camera that the new laws were less about preventing fraud and more about making it harder for Democratic voters to vote (“The law is going to kick the Democrats in the butt,” Yelton said.) Yelton added that “one of my best friends is black” as a defense against charges of bigotry. Yes, he really said that. He also tossed in these gems…

“When I was a young man, you didn’t call a black a black — you called him a negra.”

“I had a picture one time of Obama sitting on a stump as a witch doctor, and I posted that on Facebook…for your information I was making fun of my white half of Obama, not the black half.”

“Now you have a black person using the term n*gger this n*gger that and it’s okay for them to do it.”

It was all so ridiculous that at one point Mandvi jumped in to ask, “You know that we can hear you, right?”

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/po...tee-member-daily-show-one-best-friends-black/

My grandma uses "niggra" too. She thinks it's the acceptable alternative to the more offensive n-word.

Back