• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

that's a truly pathetic effort at spin, since as the article notes you have to work for 6 months in the state of NC before becoming eligible. Plenty of true believers are not going to look behind this or the unemployment statistics the Guvnah is pimping to see the truth, and the mainstream newspapers are generally too lazy/afraid of seeming partisan to print any real analysis of these claims.

How...how did this man become Governor? What a massive disappointment. This is going to be a real make or break year for him.

Because Bev Perdue and her Democratic cronies sucked so hard nobody could stand having them in charge, either?

Did they suck this bad? This is what happens when you let Republicans govern.

The Dems were at least a little more subtle in screwing people. This admin is like a drunken hillbilly comparatively.

RALEIGH, N.C. Gov. Pat McCrory and other Republican leaders will propose Monday a higher minimum salary for North Carolina's least experienced public school teachers as part of a long-awaited proposal designed to improve morale and retention.

The plan, detailed in a document obtained by The Associated Press, would in part ensure all public school teachers make a base salary of at least $33,000 during the 2014-15 school year and at least $35,000 the following year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...wsbreak-gop-seeks-higher-nc.html#.UvjVmrQo6M8

What will be interesting to see with this are how it's paid for and whether the majority in Raleigh can agree on that.

Also, what, if anything, will be done to deal with compression issues? If the minimum is bumped up, then what about the teacher who is making slightly over the minimum with several more years experience (and little to no increase over the past several years)? Will they be bumped up as well or will first year teachers now be making the same as those that have been around longer? Will be interesting to see this play out.

RALEIGH, N.C. Gov. Pat McCrory and other Republican leaders will propose Monday a higher minimum salary for North Carolina's least experienced public school teachers as part of a long-awaited proposal designed to improve morale and retention.

The plan, detailed in a document obtained by The Associated Press, would in part ensure all public school teachers make a base salary of at least $33,000 during the 2014-15 school year and at least $35,000 the following year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...wsbreak-gop-seeks-higher-nc.html#.UvjVmrQo6M8

What will be interesting to see with this are how it's paid for and whether the majority in Raleigh can agree on that.

Also, what, if anything, will be done to deal with compression issues? If the minimum is bumped up, then what about the teacher who is making slightly over the minimum with several more years experience (and little to no increase over the past several years)? Will they be bumped up as well or will first year teachers now be making the same as those that have been around longer? Will be interesting to see this play out.

This is a good thing, kind of. Why do away with raises for teachers getting Master's degrees, then bump up pay of 1st year teachers?

This is a good thing, kind of. Why do away with raises for teachers getting Master's degrees, then bump up pay of 1st year teachers?

Politics. They can look like they are being supportive, yet it is still a big cut for current teachers, and it still saves the state money.

Most research shows that advanced degrees have no impact on teacher performance, so paying for them doesn't make much sense. Redirecting money into higher salaries all around is a better use of the funds, IMO. McCrory's plan barely dents the overall problem, though, and I'm not sure some of the true believers in the general assembly will be able to swallow their pride and give a raise to the Moral Monday people. I bet you the eventual bill gives less money to teachers and finds some more money to give to vouchers and charter schools.

So, it sounds like the raise may only be extended to 1st through 5th year teachers...in which case a rookie teacher would be making more than a 6th-10th year teacher? Am I understanding that correctly? Because if so, that doesn't make good sense, unless the only point is to be able to say "we pay more than SC and TN!"

Greg Brannon telling people that Planned Parenthood and other evils will begin killing newborns as old as 3 months.

Well how far will [it] go? Last year, February 29, 2012, the Journal of Ethics in Australia, they debated that. They said we already know abortion is fine, why stop in the womb? Why not three months after. Why should we end the responsibility at that point? It could happen in America. Florida's trying to do it right now and so is Georgia. Planned Parenthood. Because we allowed that slippery slope. Every human being deserves life, liberty, and property.
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/201...e-says-planned-parenthood-wants-kill-newborns

So, it sounds like the raise may only be extended to 1st through 5th year teachers...in which case a rookie teacher would be making more than a 6th-10th year teacher? Am I understanding that correctly? Because if so, that doesn't make good sense, unless the only point is to be able to say "we pay more than SC and TN!"

the real point is they want to be able to run campaign ads in the fall saying "we gave teachers raises!" and rely on the ignorance and apathy of voters to fail to understand what they really did and how little it really means. They've taken a pounding in the media on teacher pay and they need to do something to counteract it. It will be just enough to give them a talking point and a soundbite for the fall ads.

woops.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/20/3717486/house-speaker-thom-tillis-forced.html

The Republican gave a radio interview in 2012 in which he said he graduated from the “University of Maryland.” A resume posted in 2011 to his campaign website listed the same thing.

More recently, his LinkedIn page and legislative website identified his alma mater as the University of Maryland-College Park.

But according to the state’s flagship university, Tillis is not a graduate. Instead, he received a bachelor’s degree in 1997 from University of Maryland University College, an accredited, distance-learning institution affiliated with the state’s university system.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/20/3717486/house-speaker-thom-tillis-forced.html#storylink=cpy

Should be good for his Republican cred. He stayed as far away as possible from those evil liberal professors.

I'm hearing from an NC GA source that there are legislators trying to repeal the ban on smoking in bars & restaurants.

every restaurant worker/owner I have talked to about it says the ban increased business. Certainly has increased my patronage of places that used to be too smoky for me to walk into.

every restaurant worker/owner I have talked to about it says the ban increased business. Certainly has increased my patronage of places that used to be too smoky for me to walk into.

I thought the numbers that came out pretty well established that as fact?

Back