• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

They released numbers last week showing the impact of their actions with big upticks in teachers leaving and fewer enrolling in teaching degrees. All they really have to do is lift the freeze and pay teachers based on the salary schedule they already have. That would fix the problem overnight.

An "endowment made up of donations"? Does he think we're trying to save Pandas from deforestation or something? These are real life state employees that deserve a real life raise from state funds. Republicans and their fucking charity. Just raise taxes on something and shut the fuck up.

Donate to the fund if you think it is important. Imagine that the Republicans raised your taxes on something and send it in. You don't need to be nasty toward other citizens.

McCrory's proposal itself doesn't seem bad...under his plan a teacher could make a considerable amount extra above their base pay if they meet certain criteria that are clearly defined (relatively, anyway).

But this funding idea is pure idiocy...and that's what I don't get. McCrory made his pitch at A&T...alone. The rest of the GOP hung back in Raleigh and made their announcement in Raleigh at a completely separate event. In the past they've done these things together as a display of being on the same page. What's going on here? Is McCrory ditching the Tea Party darlings and trying to be his own Governor finally? Or is this something else?

@NCCapitol: Berger: Will move on teacher pay. Examine McCrory's Career Pathways plan, as well as boost in base pay.

@NCCapitol: Berger: Medicaid costs may crowd out some of McCrory teacher pay plan, but raising base for starting teachers is priority for #ncga.

@NCCapitol: Berger: "Unfortunate" some districts fighting against giving contracts to 25% of teachers.

I'm really getting the sense there is a rift between McCrory and the rest of the legislature. They don't really seem to be on the same page.

There is a rift between most of the state and the GOP legislature as far as teachers are concerned.

There is a rift between most of the state and the GOP legislature as far as teachers are concerned.

That I really don't get. Why are the Tea Partiers so adamant about continuing to be at odds with teachers? What is there to gain at this point? Businesses have been pretty vocal about wanting to improve education and teaching in this state due to their need for a well educated work force...McCrory himself seems to be coming around...why are Berger and his merry band still on this crusade of theirs?

That I really don't get. Why are the Tea Partiers so adamant about continuing to be at odds with teachers? What is there to gain at this point? Businesses have been pretty vocal about wanting to improve education and teaching in this state due to their need for a well educated work force...McCrory himself seems to be coming around...why are Berger and his merry band still on this crusade of theirs?

Given that their voting base is largely uneducated, rural pubs, they probably don't see anything wrong with wrecking the education system for the rest of us.

As someone with 2 children in our public schools, and a 3rd starting in 2 years, I see this as the biggest problem our state faces. The damage being done right now will take a decade to undo.

Tea Partiers are doing the work of their big business leaders. The goal is to destroy public education from the inside and build it back up through vouchers, charters, and other intervention from the private education industry.

Donate to the fund if you think it is important. Imagine that the Republicans raised your taxes on something and send it in. You don't need to be nasty toward other citizens.

It is important, and we all need to pay for it. I'm wouldnt donate to that stupid fund in a million years because I refuse to support bullshit legislation like that.

It is important, and we all need to pay for it. I'm wouldnt donate to that stupid fund in a million years because I refuse to support bullshit legislation like that.

You think it is important. I don't think it is as important as some other charitable things I could do with my resources. Why don't you donate to this particular cause while I donate to what I think is important? That way you do not have to try to force me to donate to your cause and I don't have to resist your aggression.

You think it is important. I don't think it is as important as some other charitable things I could do with my resources. Why don't you donate to this particular cause while I donate to what I think is important? That way you do not have to try to force me to donate to your cause and I don't have to resist your aggression.

1. I think it's an absolutely terrible idea to introduce private donations into the public, state employment sector.
2. This isn't a "cause", as an NC tax payer you already pay teacher salaries, just as you pay for all state maintained infrastructure. Just as public property requires maintainance, so does NC public education. The people buffing the floors in the capitol building have received increased wages throughout the years, and I bet you were never given the option to "support that cause", your taxes just went up and you moved on with life.

Last edited:

Just curious. What charities do you believe are more important than education?

1. I think it's an absolutely terrible idea to introduce private donations into the public, state employment sector.
2. This isn't a "cause", as an NC tax payer you already pay teacher salaries, just as you pay for all state maintained infrastructure. Just as public property requires maintainance, so does NC public education. The people buffing the floors in the capitol building have received increased wages throughout the years, and I bet you were never given the option to "support that cause", your taxes just went up and you moved on with life.

If the elected representatives of the people of NC in their wisdom have set the funding for the government schools but you want certain employees of the schools of the state to be paid more, then it certainly is a "cause". While you are lobbying the state lawmakers to spend more of the taxpayer's money on your particular desire, shouldn't you be donating heavily to that "cause"? Perhaps the lawmakers have other priorities right now, but that should not deter you from your mission to help public school teachers with your own money.

If the elected representatives of the people of NC in their wisdom have set the funding for the government schools but you want certain employees of the schools of the state to be paid more, then it certainly is a "cause". While you are lobbying the state lawmakers to spend more of the taxpayer's money on your particular desire, shouldn't you be donating heavily to that "cause"? Perhaps the lawmakers have other priorities right now, but that should not deter you from your mission to help public school teachers with your own money.

It's not a matter of "thinking they should make more." It's a matter of living up to what was promised. That's why they have a salary schedule. Nobody is even asking for huge pay raises, they're asking to be given what they were promised when they took the job.

Tea Partiers are doing the work of their big business leaders. The goal is to destroy public education from the inside and build it back up through vouchers, charters, and other intervention from the private education industry.

I'm not so sure big business is still on their side in this fight. I think the tea party is starting to isolate themselves with the rigid ideology.

It's not a matter of "thinking they should make more." It's a matter of living up to what was promised. That's why they have a salary schedule. Nobody is even asking for huge pay raises, they're asking to be given what they were promised when they took the job.

I would not base any important decision on the promises of government This a good example.

I would not base any important decision on the promises of government This a good example.

That is not a rebuttal of the argument, nor is it a defense of your point. You've basically turned a broken government promise regarding labor practice into a charitable cause that people can choose not to support.

It's always easy to tell who has doesn't have children in the public school system on these threads.

Back