• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

I'm still not convinced he's completely off base in his numbers. If you read the email, he does not say the state is actually putting in $16,000 a year, he says that a private employer would need to do that to guarantee 35,000 per year for life after a 30 year career. Running the math, total contributions of $18,000/year for 30 years = $540,000. If a teacher retires at 55 he would probably get at least 20 years of benefits, if not more, which is 20x35,000 = $700,000. Obviously you're expecting the $540,000 to grow in the market to support that $700,000, and there's inflation to factor in as well. Not that far off.

Why don't you fact check it? Sounds like he would be in a good position to know the number and I doubt he would make it up on a mass email to other legislators. Feel free to prove him wrong.

Yes I realize how defined pension benefits work and that the cash doesn't go to a retirement account. NC probably faces a pension shortfall despite the huge contribution. It's a benefit and it is compensation and it is cash that goes from the state to teachers. There is more to compensation than just salary. Like I said, if teachers want a bigger paycheck they should lobby for a 401k equivalent instead of a pension that allows them to retire in their 50s on full salary.

You doubt that? Really?

"The main obstacle in the bill is a provision capping local privilege taxes on business at $100 – a move that would cost local governments across the state between $11.4 million and $24.6 million combined.

“It’s something that is definitely hurting economic development inside the cities,” said Rep. Julia Howard, the Republican committee chairwoman and bill sponsor."

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05...l.html?sp=/99/102/105/135/1554/#storylink=cpy

State lawmakers taking more control from municipalities.

"The main obstacle in the bill is a provision capping local privilege taxes on business at $100 – a move that would cost local governments across the state between $11.4 million and $24.6 million combined.

State lawmakers taking more control from municipalities.

Yet their response last year about teacher salaries was "well, the counties and cities can choose to supplement more!"

Largest teacher pay raise in history put on the table. The benefits of economic growth come to North Carolina public schools.

Largest teacher pay raise in history put on the table. The benefits of economic growth come to North Carolina public schools.

so increased revenues is how these raises will be paid for, not expense reductions in other areas of the budget?

A solid proposal from McCrory...but those tea party darlings Berger and Tillis are standing in the way. I assume some tea party shenanigans are forthcoming.

Back