• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

What? 19th Ammendment, Voting Rights Act, etc. happened after 1850 and made it less stringent to vote. Did they have early voting in 1850? Did they have photo ID's in the 1850's?

The Constitution says you have the right to assemble. It doesn't say you need a permit. In certain places you need a permit to assemble.
The Constitution says you have a right to bear arms. It doesn't say you need a background check. In certain states (and hopefully all soon) you need a background check.

An age limit is less stringent than a voter id. And like i said, we should be making it easier for people to vote than harder.

An age limit is less stringent than a voter id. And like i said, we should be making it easier for people to vote than harder.

Who said anything about an age limit? and no its not less stringent than a voter id. Anyone can get a photo ID. A teenager can't go to the DMV and make himself 18.

I have already stated multiple times that Voter ID laws are stupid. Some of the crazy arguments that people put forth about how harmful they would be are just plain asinine though. Voting is easy enough as it is. If you want to vote in this country but don't the only one stopping you is you.

Then the question on the table is how horrid were the Democrats? These awful, no-good, horrid Republicans didn't all run unopposed, did they?

You seem to be assuming that voters make rational decisions. I wouldn't make that assumption.

Also, I'm sure some of the Democrats are/were terrible, too. Stupidity has always been bi-partisan.

Correct, which is why the anti-Dem backlash shouldn't be a mystery. If you want to see where your taxes have been going for the past 25 years, go to Roanoke Island. They lit the public's trust on fire and drove it head first into a bridge embankment at 100 mph, and gave Mary Easley a lifetime pension after a career where she was essentially suspended with pay for her highest earning years....AFTER they got caught doing it the first time. NC Dems only have themselves to blame for their current predictament.

So the gist of your argument is that the NC 'pubs suck, right? I haven't heard a peep from you about what they are doing right, other than their transparent attempt to disenfranchise voters. Will of the people, amirite?

is Easley's pension the best you've got?

BY ALL MEANS, let's have this debate. Jim Black went to federal prison for buying votes in a Waffle shop bathroom. The "Education" Lottery ("But really, we care about the poor." [giggles uncontrollably]). Mike Easley. Mike Nifong. Mike Hunt. Before you end up like Mike Spinx, might I suggest that you act like a Dem and abort.

A half-chewed Easter Peep would be an improvement over prior management of this State (and I'm sure the Dems would have appointed said Peep to a pension-bearing faculty position at NC State). Compared to their predecessors, these PUBS are the lovechild of Lincoln and FDR.

I for one believe that anyone who demonstrates even a passing notion of integrity, accountability and the value of the public's trust would be a dramatic improvement. Reminder: The Dems gave us Jim Black (convicted), MSP (convicted), the Sleasleys (disgraced), the most regressive tax in the history of man (the "education" lottery, wink, wink) and overall "lead" in a manner that demonstrated an intellect insufficient to the prerequisites necessary to impersonate a fainting goat. If you ask me whether the current regime meets the exceptionally low standards of an improvement on their predecessors, the answer is a resounding "Yes."

Please detail the actions taken by the current General Assembly which you favor. Go.

Please detail the actions taken by the current General Assembly which you favor. Go.

Changes to the lottery to be more honest with its victims are long overdue; including truth-in-advertising requirements about actual odds of winning something (other than your money back); dropping the pretense of education is an important step;

The proposed income tax reforms to restore competitiveness of our market versus other States is also important;

Also, not treating the public treasury like your personal piggybank (What's up, Roanoke Island? When did you walk in? #awkward) is also a refreshing change.

Not in love with the fracking position; hope that hits pushback.

This thread is a terrifying microcosm of the Tea Party's view of governance. What's scarier is the right elected these people, rather than qualified, intelligent conservatives, and gave them free reign to pursue such aggressive stupidity.

This thread is a terrifying microcosm of the Tea Party's view of governance. What's scarier is the right elected these people, rather than qualified, intelligent conservatives, and gave them free reign to pursue such aggressive stupidity.

And yet it wasn't "the right"; it was "the state". These were general election results in a Dem year...and as they say, yall still got [Redacted]'d.

Conservative are the majority in NC, and will vote for anything with an R next to it during a general election. That's fine, except when that same faction completely loses any semblance of reason when selecting its candidates in closed primaries.

This is, by far, the dumbest government ever elected in NC history, and the left didn't vote for any of them. This dumpster fire should be the shame of every conservative living in the state.

Conservative are the majority in NC, and will vote for anything with an R next to it during a general election.

That is really strange, if your statement above is true I do not understand why NC has only elected 3 republican governors in the last 100 years (none in the last 20 before this election). I think your partisan strips are showing through. The shit show currently on display in Raleigh is in direct response to the gross mismanagement of NC state government over the past 12 years. Yes, the voters went too far in electing these numb nuts but it is mostly due to the two prior administrations being absolutely criminal.

It's sad that board conservatives see the problems with the government they elected but have no other response than:

Back