• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

:jhmdbatsignal:

Once again, you all seem to be confused. Fortunately for you all, I'm standing by and able to assist.

[sarcasm font]

To the extent that this exercise of long-vested, pre-Constitutional state sovereignty has been mischaracterized by the lamestream media as a repeal of the Establishment Clause, let me hasten to assure you that such is not the case. The attempt at (gasp!) self-governance without Washington's consent is nothing other than the selective nonenforcement of laws with which the current administration is not particularly fond. While conservatives are new to this concept/tactic, they have a long and establish track record to immulate of the Democrat Party disregarding inconvenient laws whilst in power with respect to so-called laws against illegal immigration and marijuana use and distribution. Don't think of North Carolina as having an "established religion"; you should just view it as a "sancutary city-State" truly worthy of the name. We won't have an "established religion"; it will merely be an "undocumented official belief system." [/sarcasm font] Happy to help, anytime you guys need it.

Last edited:
What does this mean?

I told you that I thought it was a good idea to adopt racially-neutral policies and stop segmenting the population by their skin color as a matter of official policy (yes, apparently I have to argue this in 2013). You replied that [it] "Seems like it's just a way to make sure whites can organize and get their voices heard while minorities sit in the back."

I apparently have more optimism than you do that minorities are just as capable of organizing as any other group, and don't need the government to maintain offices to do it for them.

I told you that I thought it was a good idea to adopt racially-neutral policies and stop segmenting the population by their skin color as a matter of official policy (yes, apparently I have to argue this in 2013). You replied that [it] "Seems like it's just a way to make sure whites can organize and get their voices heard while minorities sit in the back."

I apparently have more optimism than you do that minorities are just as capable of organizing as any other group, and don't need the government to maintain offices to do it for them.

this type of thinking leads to these things:
"white student union"
"why does Wake Forest need a "women's center""?

it's just a bunch of WASP male butt hurt

Last edited:
When were race neutral policies first instituted?

Medicaid reform is badly needed so I'm interested to see where this goes. At first read this press release seems to beg a huge question: what is a "Comprehensive Care Entity" going to be? A new government agency? A for profit entity like an HMO? A non-profit but non-governmental? What will they cost? Who will work there? From whence the money to create and fund these things? Whatever these things are they seem to be the centerpiece of the plan but there is almost no information about them in the presser, other than that they are supposedly going to compete with each other (which suggest for profit status) and coordinate care.

A lot of the ideas in the presser (like breaking down silos between mental and physical health - that's a big deal) are laudable but I have to reserve judgment until I know more about these CCEs.

Of course it is. Everyone knows that any knucklehead can propose whatever s/he thinks the base wants to hear. Let's not pretend for a second it has a chance of passing...in fact, let's apply a confidence test. If it passes and is signed into law (as the Puff Host piece dishonestly implied was imminent), I will buy an ad in the GNR advocating "#PatOut." If by the end of his first term, we haven't declared a religion, you can buy me a Cookout milkshake of my choosing. Deal?

It sucks when idiots on the right give you guys a bright shiny object to chase instead of talking about the massive income tax overhaul (a debate you'd lose), long-overdue UNC-system budget reform (ditto) and Medicaid reform (needed, but probably more controversial). Believe me, nobody hates it more than me. I'd rather confine the debate to income tax reform and spending control.

There are some really bad pols on the right. Pretty startling.

[QUOTE
It sucks when idiots on the right give you guys a bright shiny object to chase instead of talking about the massive income tax overhaul (a debate you'd lose), long-overdue UNC-system budget reform (ditto) and Medicaid reform (needed, but probably more controversial). Believe me, nobody hates it more than me. I'd rather confine the debate to income tax reform and spending control.
[/QUOTE]
What sort of income tax overhaul is need in this state? It is very favorable to "job creators" already. Almost ridiculously so. And I'm fine with reform of the UNC-system. I got no dog in that fight.

http://www.wral.com/senate-votes-to-repeal-racial-justice-act/12300868/

The state Senate voted 33-14 Wednesday to repeal the state's historic Racial Justice Act and restart executions in North Carolina.

The 2009 Racial Justice Act allowed death row inmates to appeal their sentences on the grounds of racial bias in the court system. If a judge agreed, the inmate's sentence could be commuted to life without the possibility of parole.

I think it'd be great if people of every skin color had exactly the same opportunity to succeed as everybody else. If that were the case, then your "racially neutral" policies would be applicable. Since that's not the case yet, I'm fine with investing a small amount of money in helping people who DON'T have a helping hand from their ancestor's investments (or just their college educated parents), in order to help those people to be productive members of society.

If the world was what jhmd thinks, he wouldn't need optimism.

There needs to be a government mandate to listen to people of color. Otherwise they wouldn't no matter how much organizing takes place.

The hits keep on coming. State religion? Dumbest elected body in America.

Yet some here will struggle mightily to argue otherwise, while dodging the insanity/inanity of the actual platform. I'll just watch.

The hits keep on coming. State religion? Dumbest elected body in America.

Yet some here will struggle mightily to argue otherwise, while dodging the insanity/inanity of the actual platform. I'll just watch.

I'll argue that while one of the dumbest, they're not THE dumbest. Alabama and their food ignorance bill comes to mind.

Part of me hopes these fools are just trolling. I know they're not, but I can dream.

Back