• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

you don't think the civil war and the KKK had anything to do with it, among other things?

you don't think the civil war and the KKK had anything to do with it, among other things?

My calendar says 2013, so I'm pretty sure failed welfare state policies on the 1960's have a lot more impact on modern life than conflicts from before the Gilded Age. Good try, though.

We've had three Republican governors since reconstruction. This State's problems lay squarely at the feet of the Dems.

All 3 since the civils rights change when conservative NCers started their migration from D to R.

My calendar says 2013, so I'm pretty sure failed welfare state policies on the 1960's have a lot more impact on modern life than conflicts from before the Gilded Age. Good try, though.

the point that you may have missed is that problems don;t occur in a void and blaming one entity for all the problems, whatever they are, is asinine

the point that you may have missed is that problems don;t occur in a void and blaming one entity for all the problems, whatever they are, is asinine

When the State has essentially been under one-party rule the entire time, it sure provides a heck of a starting point, doesn't it?

When the State has essentially been under one-party rule the entire time, it sure provides a heck of a starting point, doesn't it?

it does i'm not absolving the dems, just saying they had help

But seriously, what sort of income tax reform is needed?

crickets20chirpingjpg1.gif

Returning our state to a competitive position against places like Texas and Florida where there is no state income tax.

i know that several different bills have been filed with regards to tax reform and the state income tax but i haven't seen one that takes it to 0%. The lowest I saw was 4%, unless I've missed it somewhere among the many bills filed?

i know that several different bills have been filed with regards to tax reform and the state income tax but i haven't seen one that takes it to 0%. The lowest I saw was 4%, unless I've missed it somewhere among the many bills filed?

There was some brief talk about 0% income tax and making up the difference with much higher sales tax plus adding tax to services (like legal services). That died out pretty quickly when even some if the most conservative in the State realized that would be pretty regressive.

The repeal of the Racial Justice Act is particularly disturbing and will be the worst thing IMO the GOP has done so far if it passes the House. I did an internship in high school that looked at racial bias in capital cases in NC and elsewhere and it is pervasive. It's very difficult for a black man accused of murder to get a fair trial in this state.

Bill filed to allow gifts from lobbyists again

http://www.wral.com/bill-filed-to-allow-lobbyists-gifts-again/12323945/

Brawley said via email that required ethics classes on gifts and disclosure requirements "are useless for anyone without internal ethics anyway."

"They only tell you the law. They do not guarantee integrity," he said. "What makes you think a person without ethics is going to obey a law anyway?"

Back