• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

I don't think it's really so much a problem of losing business as much as it is he's done things the same way forever and just doesn't want to deal with the compliance part of it. Which sounds silly, and probably isn't representative of the business community as a whole...but still, it's a psychological thing. It's a headache and it's more that these small businesses have to deal with. It's just like the small business owners who are concerned with the added headache of complying with Obamacare...well this just adds another something they have to spend time and money to comply with. I think if one is a concern, then the other has to be as well.

that's probably right. For businesses that already have electronic payment options (credit card reader) adding sales tax is no big deal, the vendor will do it for you and will submit it to the state on your behalf. So larger businesses like HVAC servicers or general contractors will not see too much impact.

On the other hand, I can definitely see the complaint from people like the old-school barber who cuts my hair - he accepts nothing but cash, $14 even. Now he has to start charging $14 plus whatever the sales tax rate is and start filing monthly or quarterly sales tax returns, which he's never had to do. That is a big change in his business model. Same for the guys who run little home repair/handyman businesses, stuff like that.

So I can see both sides of it. Bottom line though is that the NC state tax system is horrible and antiquated and the base needs to be spread to services. That's going to cause some short term compliance pain but in 5 years everyone will be on the new system.

Not saying I support either the House or the Senate plan as currently written, but I do support the general notion that the tax base needs to be broadened.

Anecdotal, but I was back in my hometown this past weekend and some hardcore Republicans I know are not happy about this tax overhaul they're talking about. My Dad, who has run his own business for 30+ years now said if he has to start charging his customers tax, he's done. He'll sell off all his equipment and head to retirement.

Job creation, baby!

that's probably right. For businesses that already have electronic payment options (credit card reader) adding sales tax is no big deal, the vendor will do it for you and will submit it to the state on your behalf. So larger businesses like HVAC servicers or general contractors will not see too much impact.

On the other hand, I can definitely see the complaint from people like the old-school barber who cuts my hair - he accepts nothing but cash, $14 even. Now he has to start charging $14 plus whatever the sales tax rate is and start filing monthly or quarterly sales tax returns, which he's never had to do. That is a big change in his business model. Same for the guys who run little home repair/handyman businesses, stuff like that.

So I can see both sides of it. Bottom line though is that the NC state tax system is horrible and antiquated and the base needs to be spread to services. That's going to cause some short term compliance pain but in 5 years everyone will be on the new system.

Not saying I support either the House or the Senate plan as currently written, but I do support the general notion that the tax base needs to be broadened.

Broaden wages and taxes will be broadened as a result.

"when I see local governments not representing what’s in the best interest of all the folks, that’s where I like to involve myself."

i'm sure Rep. Moffitt will have no problems when and if the feds ever involve themselves in North Carolina state issues.

Man, these guys have really delivered on their small government promises.

some details emerging on the tax reform bill.

http://projects.newsobserver.com/under_the_dome/as_senate_writes_tax_bill_possible_components_emerge

Among the ideas on the table: capping localities ability to add to the state sales tax at 1.5 percent instead of the current 2 percent. It's part of how lawmakers get the 6.5 percent combined state and local sales tax. (The state sales tax would go from the current 4.75 to 5 percent.) But any change is likely to unnerve local governments, given the restraint on their ability to raise revenue.

Sen. Bob Rucho, a Charlotte Republican, said localities won't lose money because the plan will create more economic growth for them, and thus more tax revenue. "We want to make sure municipalities and local governments are kept where they are," he said. "And any growth will come from economic opportunity."

Sales tax is usually the second highest revenue generator for cities and counties after property tax. Should be interesting to see if broadening the base will indeed keep them at the same level of revenue.

I loved this line from the Tesla story:
“We care about the franchise system,” said Robert Glaser, president of the N.C. Automobile Dealers Association. “The whole point of the retail system is to protect the consumer.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/09/2883125/law-would-stop-tesla-electric.html#storylink=cpy

Yep, nobody looks out for the little guy like a car dealer. :rulz:

My favorite part was: “You tell me they’re gonna support the little leagues and the YMCA?” Glaser asked, directing his glance at the Tesla contingent milling about a few feet away in the legislative building.

I hate the crooked politicians in this state.

this is the #1 issue in NC politics. All the other stuff happening in the legislature flows from the fact that the Tea Party wave of 2010 coincided with the census. Anybody who wants to make a difference in NC should be shouting about reforming the redistricting process to a non-partisan, geographic based system like California's. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-21/californias-redistricting-shake-up-shakes-out-politicians#p1

http://www.wral.com/trial-ordered-for-redrawn-nc-voting-maps/12441405/

Back