• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

So are they going to vote for Democrats instead?

Some have said they will not vote Republican for the legislature, whatever that means (one said he simply leaves the ballot blank for those offices, and given how much he hates the legislature, I believe him). I do know they all vote Republican for pretty much everything else, including Trump. I know it's contradictory and frustrating. I just posted the information to show how hated this legislature is. As to whether it's enough to get them to vote Democratic, I don't know. The mayor I spoke about has said that Berger is the most arrogant, power-hungry, and dishonest person he's ever met in politics, in either party.

So are they going to vote for Democrats instead?

They should.

I voted mostly Republican for my entire adult life until about 8 years ago.

Republicans in NC and nationally have proven to me they are incapable of understanding what is good governance.

So, it’s getting simpler for me, especially in this horror show Trump era.

Just vote for the Democrat. Get the Pubs out of power.

WAPO: Three-judge panel rules unconstitutional gerrymandering in North Carolina

A panel of three federal judges held Monday that North Carolina’s congressional districts were unconstitutionally gerrymandered to aid Republicans over Democrats and said it may require new districts before the November elections, possibly impacting control of the House.

The judges acknowledged that primary elections have already produced candidates for the 2018 elections but said they were reluctant to let elections take place in congressional districts that it has twice found violate constitutional standards.

North Carolina legislators are likely to ask the Supreme Court to step in. The court currently has eight members since Justice Anthony M. Kennedy’s retirement earlier this summer. Senate hearings on President Trump’s nominee, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, commence on Tuesday.

The North Carolina case is a long-running saga, with federal courts first striking down the legislature’s work as a racial gerrymander and then as a partisan gerrymander.

The Supreme Court told the three-judge panel to take another look at the case in light of the court’s decision in a Wisconsin partisan gerrymandering case, in which the justices said those who brought that case did not have legal standing.

NC manages to make the local news up here for political reasons once every two or three weeks. Let’s aim to avoid that as a starting point.

Nice Constitution you got there if you can enforce it in time.

nc_banana_flag.jpg

Back