• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

I was told last nite by a Dem in the legislature that voter ID is gonna happen. Was also told that the issue fights are not really a Dem vs Repub thing as its commonly commented; its a urban vs rural conflict that crosses party lines

this is my sense as well. NC cities have become fairly cosmopolitan, wealthy, and increasingly sophisticated places, while the rest of the state is stuck in an economic depression wishing that the 1960s would return and they could get their textile mills back. Just look at the voting results for Amendment One - the urban areas all voted against, while in many rural counties the "yes" vote was over 90%. When the Pubs took over in 2010 they gerrymandered the hell out of the state so the rural voters are now way disproportionately represented. The reality is that for at least the next 10 years NC is going to be run by people who will pander to rural voters while the real economic engines of our state, the cities, are going to be actively stepped on.

As someone living in one of the podunk backwood parts of the state, most of us feel like the government is being run by Charlotte and Raleigh rather than the rural areas. Considering that the proposed budget guts the Golden Leaf fund and the Rural Center's funding as well as MetLife getting almost all of the state incentives, we don't see the state helping our area anytime soon.
So while I agree that the state is splitting rural vs. urban, I don't see rural winning many of the battles.

As someone living in one of the podunk backwood parts of the state, most of us feel like the government is being run by Charlotte and Raleigh rather than the rural areas. Considering that the proposed budget guts the Golden Leaf fund and the Rural Center's funding as well as MetLife getting almost all of the state incentives, we don't see the state helping our area anytime soon.
So while I agree that the state is splitting rural vs. urban, I don't see rural winning many of the battles.

This. Golden Leaf was funded by tobacco companies, not the taxpayers, to help the rural areas where tobacco was farmed. Urban trying to put this in the general fund.
I too live in a Podunk area and the proposed cuts gonna hurt.

Baden, I live in GSO now but grew up in serious podunk and my parents still live there, so I see both sides. The way I see it is the rurals have already lost. The whole economy was textile mills plus farming. Farming's OK if you own the land, but no jobs as it is mostly mechanized or taken over by low wage migrants. That sucks and the state government should help, but doing crap like gerrymandering the Guilford County school board, confiscating the Asheville water system, and taking over the Charlotte airport ain't bringing back the Pillowtex mills.

The economy of the future is city-centric, and those cities provide markets for the products grown in the rural areas. Crapping on the cities for political gain is ultimately not in anyone's best interest.

http://www.news-record.com/news/latestnewsnews/1086350-98/wades-rewrite-of-guilford-school#continue

A good example of the rural vs. city dynamic. The Guilford school board elections are about to be rigged so that the podunk parts of the county can run the show, instead of the voters in Greensboro and High Point where most of the kids are and who pay most of the taxes to keep the schools running. I'm sure this will work out well.

Aren't they doing the same thing in Wake county?

It appears that the Republican party learned a lot while sitting on the sidelines as the Democractic party ran NC for the last 100 or so years. The shame is, it appears that only the petty and vile acts are the ones they seem to remember. So much for Hope and Change NC style.

olddke, can you give some examples of bills passed by NC Dems that were on the level of these bills?

NC Dems had two shitty governors, but the General Assembly for the most part did good work. NC was a progressive, business friendly state that was on the rise economically and population wise under their watch.

"There definitely is a feeling that the cities have too much power, and many times they have too much power over the county. I think what you're seeing more of, especially in Buncombe County and a few other places, is we're trying to give the county more of a say in what happens. I think cities have been given carte blanche over the past 25, 30 years, and now they're seeing some push back." Apodaca, of Henderson County, also said: "History shows you can't trust Asheville City Council."

Read more here: http://obsdailyviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/nc-lawmaker-cities-have-too-much-power.html#storylink=cpy

I think you missed my point, these idiots don't seem to have learned anything about governing. We the voters screwed the pooch putting them in charge.

NC Dems had two shitty governors, but the General Assembly for the most part did good work. NC was a progressive, business friendly state that was on the rise economically and population wise under their watch.

This was my impression. Couldn't stand Mike Easley. Lottery was a sham, though.

I'm a NC Democrat and it wasn't just crap governors. These govs busted NC financially, We also had criminals in the house. Now the pendulum has shifted too far the other way. I have no problem with the pubs throwing out stuff to see what may work but I'm getting concerned that the pubs seem to oppose anything that a Democrat supports.

In general I believe that government works better the closer it is to the voters. The state messing in a district's school board goes too far.
On the other hand Wake County school board seems to gone crazy.

"on the rise economically" = significantly higher unemployment than the national average. Good God, I'd hate to see what your definition of decline is by those lofty standards. Keep lying to yourself, BBD.

:bowrofl:

Back