• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Can’t wait to see all the investments they make in children’s health and education

So...they’ll be welcoming and caring for pregnant immigrants and asylum seekers?

Sweet.

https://www.wral.com/judges-order-another-nc-redraw-say-districts-too-partisan/18609222/

In a unanimous ruling, the judges said N.C. House and Senate maps "are significantly tainted" and "do not permit voters to freely choose their representative, but rather representatives are choosing voters based upon sophisticated partisan sorting."

The court gave the Republican-controlled legislature two weeks to draw new maps, and ordered the body to do so only during public hearings, with computer screens used in the process visible to the public.

Hell yea. Finally some good news for NC politics

Hell yea. Finally some good news for NC politics

I can't wait to see what our law-abiding state legislature does to try and get out of this. I wouldn't put anything past Phil Berger and this crew.

I can't wait to see what our law-abiding state legislature does to try and get out of this. I wouldn't put anything past Phil Berger and this crew.

Saw Sen. Jackson post this on his Facebook page as follow up:

“An appeal is likely, but if granted it would go to the state Supreme Court, as this is a matter under the state constitution. Last year's U.S. Supreme Court ruling was under the federal constitution, so this ruling can stand despite the fact that we lost at the U.S. Supreme Court.”

Berger statement

EDk4OvrWwAMZKHj

So apparently it's not too hard to come up with a nonpartisan map.

I guess Phil figures he can still keep his thumb on the scales of that map and if they continue to fight a special master might end up getting appointed to do it for him.

He's not appealing it because (1) they still get to draw the "nonpartisan" maps and (2) they avoid a binding precedent from the NC Supreme Court where Dems currently enjoy a 6-1 majority. Short term, this is good for Dems. Long term, it may have been better had this decision either gone the other way and been appealed to the NC Supreme Court or had the GOP appealed it. A ruling that the NC Constitution prohibits partisan gerrymandering would have been great.

Also, Berger's son is on the Court of Appeals. Surely he knows that the USSC ruling was not binding precedent as it did not interpret the North Carolina Constitution.

I'll be curious to see what the "nonpartisan" maps Berger & Company draw up look like.

Trump has suggested that to help do the redistricting in NC people of color should have to have a big C on their voter registration documents.

So apparently it's not too hard to come up with a nonpartisan map.

I guess Phil figures he can still keep his thumb on the scales of that map and if they continue to fight a special master might end up getting appointed to do it for him.

You mean they were purposefully misleading the court to protect their gerrymander?

Back