• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

nc_law_school_tuition_0.JPG

Charleston School of Law just sold to InfiLaw recently - it's caused quite a stink amongst local students and alumni.

Yeah, the owners of the school there basically founded the school with the purpose of selling it to their friends at InfiLaw. They sound like real winners.

Yeah, the owners of the school there basically founded the school with the purpose of selling it to their friends at InfiLaw. They sound like real winners.

they do sound like winners to me. probably made a fuck ton of money on this venture.

realize that not all of the 1500 are paying sticker price, but the fact that some people are paying $120,000 tuition for a degree from charlotte law school is nuts

realize that not all of the 1500 are paying sticker price, but the fact that some people are paying $120,000 tuition for a degree from charlotte law school is nuts

So dumb

Which of our posters are currently in LS? My 10 yr reunion is in a couple weeks. Shit was way different back then, and I can't imagine starting out now or in the near future. I think there are going to be some significant shakeups in BigLaw in the next 5 years, which could either make things better, but possibly even worse (depending on your perspective). I am currently in the process of interviewing summer candidates and I find their perspectives and their naivety interesting.

Which of our posters are currently in LS? My 10 yr reunion is in a couple weeks. Shit was way different back then, and I can't imagine starting out now or in the near future. I think there are going to be some significant shakeups in BigLaw in the next 5 years, which could either make things better, but possibly even worse (depending on your perspective). I am currently in the process of interviewing summer candidates and I find their perspectives and their naivety interesting.

do lawyers get out of the game around retirement age often or is it more common to keep working? I'm wondering if there's potential for lots of retirements with the baby boomers getting older

do lawyers get out of the game around retirement age often or is it more common to keep working? I'm wondering if there's potential for lots of retirements with the baby boomers getting older

Many work well beyond retirement age. Maybe even the majority. One guy I'm working with now is 72 and there are no signs that he is slowing down.

This is one of the problems. Old partners are increasingly unwilling to transition their clients to those that are up and coming.

Know a girl from undergrad going to Belmont Law School. They just got their ABA accreditation and don't even have buildings yet.

There are a few of us who are 3Ls right now on the boards. Job opportunities are looking slim at this point. I only know of a few that have positions locked up for next year. I can count the number of clerkships on one hand, and those that have them are not prestigious. Even the top 10% are not safe at this point. A lot of friends and classmates are getting interviews but no offers at big firms as well as medium sized.

Streets is hard.

0.jpg

I think the older generation of lawyers mostly got into it because they liked the work, so they are more likely to keep doing it past retirement age. I think the younger generations mostly got into it because of the $$ and "one of the only two professions for smart people" so view it more as a job than a lifelong commitment. So I think you'll start to see more of the younger generations retiring in their 50s and 60s whereas the older guys will be outlasting them into their 70s and 80s.

I graduated last spring and just got through my character committee interview. Thank God the dude who was assigned to me was cool as shit and didn't care about my past (not that it's bad, just thought he would ask me about speeding tickets and other irrelevant shit just to be a dick). I was told that I was one of three out of 15 he's talked with who currently have jobs. Jesus Christ.

Also, we find out bar results in 6 weeks. I don't hope I failed because that was a lot of fucking work, but I won't be pissed if I did. This shit sucks, though to be fair, I'm the one getting dumped on while the seasoned vets hit up happy hours at 4 and take 3-day "work trips" ie mini vacations.

You graduated right when I started, then (or close to it). Hard to believe that (a) it has been that long; and (b) how much has changed. From the time I graduated (06) to when I finished my clerkship (08) the job market had gone from booming to tanking (though it wasn't even close to the bottom we learned later).

I am 59 and have been practicing 34 years. I have no plans to retire, and quite frankly, don't want to. I really love what I do, and have no desire to quit. Many fellow lawyers my age feel the same way. When I start drooling, I'll quit!

The lawyers that don't die of a heart attack in their 50s then work forever.

My five year reunion is in May and the number of people I know that have already stopped practicing law is ridiculous.

Back