• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

When we were investigating the HSA with a high deductible, one of my first calls was to my doctors to find out the cost of an appointment. At my GP, the cost for a sinus infection is the same whether I see my doctor, a PA, or a NP.

It's that way everywhere. Just like I said earlier. It's no offense to the great NP's and PA's out there, but since it costs the same then I'll be seeing the MD. Call me crazy. I call it getting my moneys worth.

When we were investigating the HSA with a high deductible, one of my first calls was to my doctors to find out the cost of an appointment. At my GP, the cost for a sinus infection is the same whether I see my doctor, a PA, or a NP.

I moved to an HSA. Costs are little higher all the way around but I will end up saving more doing the HSA.

So what's a normal amount of vacation time for you lawyers and doctors? Are you mired in jobs where you will never get more than 3 or 4 weeks off in a year or is the sky the limit?

Good question. I bet I take about two weeks per year but usually one full week and a handful of long weekends.

I moved to an HSA. Costs are little higher all the way around but I will end up saving more doing the HSA.

Same with us. I just found it interesting that my $40 copay visit would by $60 with the hsa, no matter who I saw.

I've honestly had better luck with pa than mds that aren't my regular dr. I've been prescribed meds three times that I was allergic to and all of them were prescribed by mds who didn't take the time to read the chart.

I'm assuming that, for attorneys, a lawsuit is no big deal. As in, it's Tuesday so let's go down to the courthouse and file all of these suits. Understand that from the physician's standpoint, it's a giant fucking deal. It's personal, and it causes you to question your self-worth as someone pledged to help others. It will irrevocably alter the way that you practice medicine. Even getting named in a suit, even frivolously, has to be reported to every licensing board, to every credentialing committee, and on every job application for the rest of your life. Actually, forget about a patient-initiated tort, just the microscope that the hospital puts you under is extremely disruptive. In short, when I make a CYA decision at work that costs extra money, it's not because I'm worried about losing a suit. It's because I'm looking for 100% avoidance of ever getting named in association with a potentially compensable event.

Good question. I bet I take about two weeks per year but usually one full week and a handful of long weekends.

In 6 months I've taken 1.5 days off. I'm taking 1.5 days in May for UF graduation and I'm planning on taking a week at some point in the summer.

I'm about the same in terms of total time, but I haven't taken a full week since 2008. Have one coming up in June.

Dude, you clean wax out of people's ears. It's not like much can go wrong. ;)

Well played. ENT usually goes very smoothly. Unfortunately when it goes wrong it can go very wrong very quickly. The whole airway/no breathing/death thing and large blood vessels bleeding a lot can get tricky :) Hard thing to explain to families.

I'm assuming that, for attorneys, a lawsuit is no big deal. As in, it's Tuesday so let's go down to the courthouse and file all of these suits. Understand that from the physician's standpoint, it's a giant fucking deal. It's personal, and it causes you to question your self-worth as someone pledged to help others. It will irrevocably alter the way that you practice medicine. Even getting named in a suit, even frivolously, has to be reported to every licensing board, to every credentialing committee, and on every job application for the rest of your life. Actually, forget about a patient-initiated tort, just the microscope that the hospital puts you under is extremely disruptive. In short, when I make a CYA decision at work that costs extra money, it's not because I'm worried about losing a suit. It's because I'm looking for 100% avoidance of ever getting named in association with a potentially compensable event.

Much better description than I could have ever given, sums up my feelings a lot. I am well aware that as as surgeon I will likely be named in a suit at some point. I just want that day to be a long time from now and as infrequently as possible.

I can only speak for myself (and maybe it is because I am not a litigator), but when it comes to malpractice suits, I feel exactly the same was you do. It would be a huge fucking deal, it would be totally personal, it would make me change my practice, and I would have to report it on a lot of damn things for the rest of my career.

Agreed. I don't know how you lawyer types do it. Or why.

I can only speak for myself (and maybe it is because I am not a litigator), but when it comes to malpractice suits, I feel exactly the same was you do. It would be a huge fucking deal, it would be totally personal, it would make me change my practice, and I would have to report it on a lot of damn things for the rest of my career.

This.

I don't think many people realize that lawyers get sued for malpractice and also carry malpractice insurance.

I get 15 days PTO, and I will end up taking maybe 11 this year. That number will probably end up being a little higher than the next few years just because I'm going to Italy for a week this summer. Also, they don't really care that much when I'm actually in the office, they care that I bill my hours and get my work done. Last time I took a day off, I technically didn't because I had already billed enough hours to make up for it earlier in the week.

Agreed. I don't know how you lawyer types do it. Or why.

I assume the money is pretty good eventually.

I get 6 weeks of PTO and I use almost all of it every year.

They dont keep track of my time off at my shop, they keep track of monthly and yearly hours billed. Im supposed to take 3-4 weeks a year, but usually end up taking around 2.

Im usually the same as BSD, I take a full week (or a little more) off and then a few 4 day weekends. That being said, about every other summer I've taken a 10 day trip overseas.

My firm doesn't track vacation as long as I get my hours billed. I bet I will take 3 weeks or so total this year plus a few marketing trips

My firm doesn't track my vacation I just have to meet my billable hour requirement.

I'm gonna go with the answer, "the money." At least for big firm types.

I genuinely enjoy the legal work I do, but I don't work for a big company anymore.

What is money if you're chained to X number of billable hours or 50 weeks?

Back