Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 946

Thread: Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

  1. #181
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    45,931
    might still be unusual in your field but you also might need/want to get general and/or professional liability insurance and possibly worker's comp on yourself.

  2. #182
    just declined another lateral move

    "we are hiring an inner department candidate for the (promotion) but we are excited to offer you the (lateral move)"

    i might have to eventually take one of these to get ahead

  3. #183
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    45,931
    Quote Originally Posted by freakadeac View Post
    just declined another lateral move

    "we are hiring an inner department candidate for the (promotion) but we are excited to offer you the (lateral move)"

    i might have to eventually take one of these to get ahead
    one of those companies that values candidates well-rounded with respect to various SBUs

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    As a contractor, you are responsible for a lot more stuff on the tax side (e.g. employer and employee parts of FICA) than if you are an employee. Also, you need to figure in any retirement type stuff (IRA etc.) as part of your contract price. Make sure you get enough in your contract to cover all that stuff. I'd want at least 25% and probably 50% more to contract than I would accept in salary if I was a hired employee.
    A lot of places will want to pay less or equal because you're going to pick up the value of the benefits.

  5. #185
    Looking to make a move to Charlotte in early/mid August. When should I start applying for new positions? In an ideal world, I lock something down soon and take off as much as mid-July/early-August off as possible then make the move and start. I'm still on my first job out of college (going on 3 years) so I'm not overly familiar with the application/acceptance process; if offered a position, how flexible are companies with choosing a starting date over a month out? I have a few vacations lined up that I would like to take if feasible.

  6. #186
    Are cover letters typically needed on an internal position in a closely related department? We just have an optional space to upload one. Don't wanna fuck this up.

  7. #187

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    Looking to make a move to Charlotte in early/mid August. When should I start applying for new positions? In an ideal world, I lock something down soon and take off as much as mid-July/early-August off as possible then make the move and start. I'm still on my first job out of college (going on 3 years) so I'm not overly familiar with the application/acceptance process; if offered a position, how flexible are companies with choosing a starting date over a month out? I have a few vacations lined up that I would like to take if feasible.
    I think some of it depends on your job search strategy; do you have an extensive, pre-established network in CLT that can help push your resume and get you in the hunt for opportunities or are you applying blind for open positions you find online? What are you looking for in the next job and how big is the pool of companies that can give it to you? If the goal is simply to get to CLT regardless of the job, you can probably wait another 15-30 days before you start your hunt in earnest. If you're looking for specific opportunities or don't have a good network you may consider starting sooner rather than later.

    As for the vacations and shit you've got lined up, I would personally keep that close to the vest until an offer is in hand. As a junior resource wherever you end up (given your relative lack of work experience) I would be prepared for a company to expect you to start within 30 days of accepting an offer, so you may start thinking about what you'd give up this summer if the right position presented itself. I've got a 4 week paid sabbatical starting in September and while I'm actively hunting for jobs, I'm being really selective about what I'm applying to as I'm not going to give up 4 weeks of paid leave for any old job #anecdote.

    Good luck in your job search.

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoneydeac View Post
    Are cover letters typically needed on an internal position in a closely related department? We just have an optional space to upload one. Don't wanna fuck this up.
    I would think yes, unless you know the hiring managers really well and have talked to them about your interest in the position, but I will admit to only recently having gotten back into the job market after 4 years at the same place so I'm a little rusty on this kind of stuff.

    What did you decide to do?

  10. #190
    I have a lead on an opening for a recent accounting grad. Job is at a Washington, DC law firm.

    PM for additional details.

    Also, any other places this should go to find the right candidate?

  11. #191
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    nvm

  12. #192
    Steve Lepore WFfb115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    1,075
    When a job posting says to submit three references without clarifying personal/professional, do they expect all references to be people you have worked for or with? I've only had one job since graduating from school and I can't list anybody there as references because I don't want them to know I'm looking for a new job.

  13. #193
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    I doubt they expect professional references....drop that dad bod babysitter ref and good ol moms

  14. #194
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    and PM biff to provide the 3rd one

  15. #195
    Broderick Hicks

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    4,075
    Quote Originally Posted by WFfb115 View Post
    When a job posting says to submit three references without clarifying personal/professional, do they expect all references to be people you have worked for or with? I've only had one job since graduating from school and I can't list anybody there as references because I don't want them to know I'm looking for a new job.
    Typically, yes, they are expecting people you've worked with/for. They won't be contacted unless you are the top choice for the position. You could ask the people at the job you're applying for to notify you before checking references so that you can let your current employer know.

  16. #196
    Looking for some thoughts on a job interview situation:

    I've had a first round of interviews with people in what would be my department and the company's HR. Have a second round this coming week with a couple people in other departments that I'd also be working with. I already get the feeling the job is mine if I want it (meaning both that I think they like me and will make an offer and that I don't sense there are a lot of other competitive candidates in play right now). When I met with HR last week, she threw out a number for salary range, and I expect that's what their offer would be. After some thought, I probably wouldn't take it if they couldn't come up at least 15% from that number.

    Ordinarily I'd plan to just go through the process, try to get an offer and then negotiate from there. In this case, I wouldn't have a problem turning this down if they couldn't meet me on numbers as I'm pretty happy with my current job. Given that, should I go ahead and mention to HR where I stand on $? I don't want to waste my time or theirs if that's not doable on their end, but I'm not sure that I want to put the cart before the horse and disrupt the process.
    Last edited by timthedeac; 08-15-2015 at 10:20 PM.

  17. #197
    Broderick Hicks

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    4,075
    Quote Originally Posted by timthedeac View Post
    Looking for some thoughts on a job interview situation:

    I've had a first round of interviews with people in what would be my department and the company's HR. Have a second round this coming week with a couple people in other departments that I'd also be working with. I already get the feeling the job is mine if I want it (meaning both that I think they like me and will make an offer and that I don't sense there are a lot of other competitive candidates in play right now). When I met with HR last week, she threw out a number for salary range, and I expect that's what their offer would be. After some thought, I probably wouldn't take it if they couldn't come up at least 15% from that number.

    Ordinarily I'd plan to just go through the process, try to get an offer and then negotiate from there. In this case, I wouldn't have a problem turning this down if they couldn't meet me on numbers as I'm pretty happy with my current job. Given that, should I go ahead and mention to HR where I stand on $? I don't want to waste my time or theirs if that's not doable on their end, but I'm not sure that I want to put the cart before the horse and disrupt the process.
    If they've thrown out the salary number at this point in the process, then they probably don't want to waste anyone's time either. I think you're fine to express your concerns and give them a number that would motivate you to switch. Express that you're happy to continue the interview process but you wanted that salary request to be known now instead of later.

  18. #198

  19. #199
    Good first interview with a company I worked for 4.5 years ago; interesting role and salary is on target. Hope to get some good news and continue on in the process. Finding jobs in CHS right now is a fucking GRIND.

  20. #200
    Applied for 2 jobs on Monday. Still waiting to hear if I will have a job at my current place when the grant ends. I am hopeful, but having to keep applying for things.

    Want to apply for another, but it requires a research interests statement for a lecturer gig. I kind of want to just write "I am not interested in doing research."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •