• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Is there a research expectation for the lecturer job?

Nope. I think they just require it standard. Which is lame. I can come up with some pedagogical research interests and summarize the type of work I have done in the past, but it seems silly when no matter what I wrote, the job doesn't include it

Good first interview with a company I worked for 4.5 years ago; interesting role and salary is on target. Hope to get some good news and continue on in the process. Finding jobs in CHS right now is a fucking GRIND.

So that fizzled out, but I'm interviewing for a position in Portland (OR) this week.

How's everyone else doing with transitions/job changes?

we're looking to relocate (likely NC) around about June or July. wife is a teacher/principal so she can get a job wherever (likely private, we know NC schools are awful now), and we'll go wherever I can find a job. when's the best time to start looking? just updated my resume on Sunday so it's ready to go.

You're looking to relocate, but neither of you have a job lined up? The best time to start looking is immediately, if it were me.

You're looking to relocate, but neither of you have a job lined up? The best time to start looking is immediately, if it were me.

Well we know we want to leave DC...we're going to only leave with a job lined up, just wondering when the search process should start. I haven't applied for a job since 2009 and that was after I was already in DC, and DC orgs are notoriously slow.

My plan was to start at the new year to find something for this summer thinking it would take awhile.

I applied to one job in August that was too intriguing to wait for and a month later was living in Atlanta.

we're looking to relocate (likely NC) around about June or July. wife is a teacher/principal so she can get a job wherever (likely private, we know NC schools are awful now), and we'll go wherever I can find a job. when's the best time to start looking? just updated my resume on Sunday so it's ready to go.

You're likely talking a just in time hiring situation. A lot depends on the industry and company. Some you could be hired within 1 mos. others could take up to 6. What industry are you thinking?

I need someone who is a savant at Radiology/Cardiology workflow. Someone who understands PACS, VR, Worklist Software, VNA, and HL7 Interfacing principles. Basically a Clinical Systems Design/Implementation guru. We offer move expenses, competitive salary, start people at 4 weeks of vacation, quarterly bonuses, put 8% in your 401k before you put in a dime, let you live in Greensboro which is roughly 312789 miles and 10 x cooler than Winston Salem unless it's game day, and believe that working from home is fine as long as you get your work done. We're growing 30% per year and have no debt. apply here:
http://www.canopy-partners.com/about-us/careers
We have other jobs available as you can see, but this one I actually need.

Would you want to go industry or agency? Any thoughts on what kind of biz you'd focus on? If technology, I might have a lead or two for you in Raleigh.

I might know of some in GSO too.

My grant ends in late March. I have had some promising interviews (at other colleges doing similar work) and the college is still finding a way to keep me. So I may or may not have some transitions/job changes coming soon.

Well we know we want to leave DC...we're going to only leave with a job lined up, just wondering when the search process should start. I haven't applied for a job since 2009 and that was after I was already in DC, and DC orgs are notoriously slow.

I've been looking for the better part of 6 months; hiring seems slow right now across the board. I offer that anecdotally as someone who's been at it for a while, and based on conversations with friends.

The whole timing thing seems really hard to line up, so if you got the right offer tomorrow and would move in the next 6-8 weeks, you might as well start now. How's your professional network in NC?

Would you want to go industry or agency? Any thoughts on what kind of biz you'd focus on? If technology, I might have a lead or two for you in Raleigh.

well right now I'm in-house at a major non-profit with a long storied legacy, #2 in my dept, but have plateaued since the #1 guy is firmly entrenched and is way senior. so if he ever left pretty sure they'd hire someone rather than promote me. I've never done agency work, but I'm not unopposed. I'm relatively agnostic on the industry, though I don't have a huge interest in finance or anything like that. would like to work at a for-profit since I've been in the non-profit space for years and know the limits, though I'm not ruling that out and am certainly open to governments or universities.

I might know of some in GSO too.

My grant ends in late March. I have had some promising interviews (at other colleges doing similar work) and the college is still finding a way to keep me. So I may or may not have some transitions/job changes coming soon.

awesome -- thanks! we are just really ready to get back to NC, focusing on Triad first, then Charlotte, the Triangle, Asheville, maybe Wilmington.

I've been looking for the better part of 6 months; hiring seems slow right now across the board. I offer that anecdotally as someone who's been at it for a while, and based on conversations with friends.

The whole timing thing seems really hard to line up, so if you got the right offer tomorrow and would move in the next 6-8 weeks, you might as well start now. How's your professional network in NC?

yeah will probably start later this week. too late tonight and going to a show tomorrow.

my professional network is very sparse. ironically our CEO, who I'm very close with, actually lives in Clemmons, worked for Wake and later Wachovia and has a great network here. but I obviously can't really utilize it.

Last edited:
I need someone who is a savant at Radiology/Cardiology workflow. Someone who understands PACS, VR, Worklist Software, VNA, and HL7 Interfacing principles. Basically a Clinical Systems Design/Implementation guru. We offer move expenses, competitive salary, start people at 4 weeks of vacation, quarterly bonuses, put 8% in your 401k before you put in a dime, let you live in Greensboro which is roughly 312789 miles and 10 x cooler than Winston Salem unless it's game day, and believe that working from home is fine as long as you get your work done. We're growing 30% per year and have no debt. apply here:
http://www.canopy-partners.com/about-us/careers
We have other jobs available as you can see, but this one I actually need.

I read that website for about 10 minutes and I have no idea what Canopy actually does.

i'm looking to hire a financial software consultant in the bay area. 2-5 years experience in finance/consulting/accounting with solution consulting, alternative assets (pe or vc), software implementations, etc a plus. may also be looking in nyc area for a good candidate. may offer relocation as well. pm me with questions. the position is joining a small team that's part of a large multinational fintech firm. primarily working from home with about 30% local onsite work and some travel (depends on desire to travel really).

Last edited:
ironically our CEO, who I'm very close with, actually lives in Clemmons, worked for Wake and later Wachovia and has a great network here. but I obviously can't really utilize it.

why is that obvious? a lot of times employers will help out, just gotta be up front.

Has anyone hired, or been hired from a boards connection?

#OGBoardsNetwork

Has anyone hired, or been hired from a boards connection?

#OGBoardsNetwork

not sure if this guy posts on the boards, but we're actually interviewing a deacon who was my year (yeah '09!) today for my same position. i've got my fingers crossed for him!

If you think you want a different job than just start applying to stuff. Never understood why people sit around wringing their hands to submit two resumes six months after deciding they need a change.

Back