• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

well pit, my boss (who i loved!) is leaving after 8 years at my current company to take a completely different kind of position (so i can't follow her). with that said, they're looking for her replacement.I've been at the company/on the job longer than any of my other coworkers in Raleigh-- there are 6 of us in the office, 4 remote. The 4 remote workers are all MUCH older/more career experienced than I am (like 20+ years for some of them), but all of the other leadership at this level is in Raleigh, and i think it would do our team a severe disservice to hire a leader who isn't also in Raleigh. If I want to throw my name in the ring, I need to do so Monday at the latest-- my hesitations are as follows:
- my boss is actively supporting a coworker, who told me in confidence that she does not want the job (too stressful, she's trying to start a family soon). I would support this coworker wholeheartedly if she changed her mind. boss has not approached me to talk about the job at all, which i think is telling.
- this job has two major responsibilities-- one of which is to be the "boss" for 10 people. I've never managed anyone before-- managing 4 remote workers with more experience than me is scary. I think I'd be great at the other aspects of the job.
- i currently work in client management with a side of marketing. i was actively working to move more into marketing-- this move would put me firmly into client advocacy since I would be the director of our department.

however-- it's a SICK job, i think i'd rock at one part of it, and some other coworkers are pushing me to apply. don't want to regret not applying, and I do think I would be the best choice out of the applicable folks in Raleigh.

with that said-- should I even try? I don't want to get laughed at for throwing my name in the hat-- main concern is managing folks who are so much more experienced.

Defs apply. Managing #olds isn't that bad. Most of them are pretty much pegged in their role and are used to seeing youths storm past them. Frankly managing olds is way easier than managing fucking millennials. If you think you are qualified you need to let people know it. I applied for a hail mary job this summer which I didn't get but as a result I got on the radar and got a sick promotion in December. Gotta go for it dash!

I highly doubt you get laughed at, based on the context you provided.

This seems like a prime opportunity - definitely go for it!

Defs apply. Managing #olds isn't that bad. Most of them are pretty much pegged in their role and are used to seeing youths storm past them. Frankly managing olds is way easier than managing fucking millennials. If you think you are qualified you need to let people know it. I applied for a hail mary job this summer which I didn't get but as a result I got on the radar and got a sick promotion in December. Gotta go for it dash!

I highly doubt you get laughed at, based on the context you provided.

This seems like a prime opportunity - definitely go for it!

get after it dash

Don't be a pussy. What's the worst that happens, they say no.

These are all correct.

Do it.

You'll never fulfill the Peter Principle if you never apply for jobs you aren't qualified for. Go for it.

Recently been sending a decent amount of applications for SF area. Initially was just a method of gauging my value in the market. Got some momentum with a few different companies and heading out on Tuesday for interviews.

Still going to be a tough sell to make that move considering the pay bump would only be about 40% more than I currently make in Richmond.

well pit, my boss (who i loved!) is leaving after 8 years at my current company to take a completely different kind of position (so i can't follow her). with that said, they're looking for her replacement.I've been at the company/on the job longer than any of my other coworkers in Raleigh-- there are 6 of us in the office, 4 remote. The 4 remote workers are all MUCH older/more career experienced than I am (like 20+ years for some of them), but all of the other leadership at this level is in Raleigh, and i think it would do our team a severe disservice to hire a leader who isn't also in Raleigh. If I want to throw my name in the ring, I need to do so Monday at the latest-- my hesitations are as follows:
- my boss is actively supporting a coworker, who told me in confidence that she does not want the job (too stressful, she's trying to start a family soon). I would support this coworker wholeheartedly if she changed her mind. boss has not approached me to talk about the job at all, which i think is telling.
- this job has two major responsibilities-- one of which is to be the "boss" for 10 people. I've never managed anyone before-- managing 4 remote workers with more experience than me is scary. I think I'd be great at the other aspects of the job.
- i currently work in client management with a side of marketing. i was actively working to move more into marketing-- this move would put me firmly into client advocacy since I would be the director of our department.

however-- it's a SICK job, i think i'd rock at one part of it, and some other coworkers are pushing me to apply. don't want to regret not applying, and I do think I would be the best choice out of the applicable folks in Raleigh.

with that said-- should I even try? I don't want to get laughed at for throwing my name in the hat-- main concern is managing folks who are so much more experienced.

Imagine walking into work on the first day wearing the most baller outfit you can find completely owning the joint. If you can do that, apply for the job.

but quality of life.
It's pretty damn nice right now. And I work around 35-40 hours a week. Pay $500 in rent. And salary is still very competitive compared to just about everywhere except SF or NYC.

If I did make the move, it would be primarily due to being a better career move.

Recently been sending a decent amount of applications for SF area. Initially was just a method of gauging my value in the market. Got some momentum with a few different companies and heading out on Tuesday for interviews.

Still going to be a tough sell to make that move considering the pay bump would only be about 40% more than I currently make in Richmond.

I'd do it if for no other reason to become a bandwagon Warriors fan for the next 5 years.

Last edited:
well right now I'm in-house at a major non-profit with a long storied legacy, #2 in my dept, but have plateaued since the #1 guy is firmly entrenched and is way senior. so if he ever left pretty sure they'd hire someone rather than promote me. I've never done agency work, but I'm not unopposed. I'm relatively agnostic on the industry, though I don't have a huge interest in finance or anything like that. would like to work at a for-profit since I've been in the non-profit space for years and know the limits, though I'm not ruling that out and am certainly open to governments or universities.

awesome -- thanks! we are just really ready to get back to NC, focusing on Triad first, then Charlotte, the Triangle, Asheville, maybe Wilmington.

yeah will probably start later this week. too late tonight and going to a show tomorrow.

my professional network is very sparse. ironically our CEO, who I'm very close with, actually lives in Clemmons, worked for Wake and later Wachovia and has a great network here. but I obviously can't really utilize it.

Sent you a PM about a few triad places/contacts

I'm not tryna live there, it just exceeded my expectations.

SF is cute. Let's talk when you hit a milli, bruh.

yeah, richmond is cool for a midtier city, but it's small. opps are limited professionally, and if you can live in an amazing city while your young why not? today is 65 and sunny. they called mavericks today and the skiing is amazing in tahoe. how many michilin starred restaurants in richmond?

anybody have tips on a phone interview in HR with a large insurance company? Phone interview is with person at Corporate HQ, not where the job is. I assume this is a screener before the sit down at the job location. Any assistance is appreciated.

Imagine walking into work on the first day wearing the most baller outfit you can find completely owning the joint. If you can do that, apply for the job.

this is definitely the way to get me to apply. booked a meeting with the man in charge for monday!

anybody have tips on a phone interview in HR with a large insurance company? Phone interview is with person at Corporate HQ, not where the job is. I assume this is a screener before the sit down at the job location. Any assistance is appreciated.

Just the usual stuff; prepare as if you were doing it in person, smile when you talk on the phone, sit tall and/or stand if you can, be in a distraction free environment, etc. Assuming this is a recruiter/gatekeeper, more than likely they're just assessing whether or not you can speak to your resume, understand the position, and sound normal; the trick is you have to impress that person to get you to the decision makers.

Back