Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 946

Thread: Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

  1. #301
    Congrats LCD

    Everyone I know who has moved to Denver loves it and plans on staying there forever

  2. #302
    Welcome to the front range...it is truly the shit

  3. #303
    #ClawsIn #ManUp
    AnonymousDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    19,975
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousDeac View Post
    All fair points. But in the most recent situation, it's a startup with around $10M in funding. 10 person team, looking to ramp up to 30, and I'd be joining as the #3 guy in the company (Head of Biz Dev). Not much opportunity at all for training.

    The budgetary and management examples were for a different position in a more traditional, large company role. Definitely possible there.

    Have an interview with their advisory board member on Tuesday.
    Had the interview with the advisory board member and I believe it went well. Next step is a longer, more-in depth conversation after reviewing some of their materials.

    In the conversation, he was very transparent in that while they are not looking for a certain age or amount of experience, they are looking to hire someone who will be the #2 guy in the company and has the clout to go toe-to-toe with CEOs and CIOs. Came right out and said that the other people being considered are VP+ level execs, most in their late 30s or 40s (I’m 27).

    So I at least know what I’m up against. And it’s fair, all else equal, who is a CEO more likely to give his business to? But just need to show that I’m a superior candidate than the others however I can.
    Last edited by AnonymousDeac; 03-22-2016 at 03:46 PM.

  4. #304
    Sweet just got the call for a second round interview. See you cats in the Triad next week.

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousDeac View Post
    Had the interview with the advisory board member and I believe it went well. Next step is a longer, more-in depth conversation after reviewing some of their materials.

    In the conversation, he was very transparent in that while they are not looking for a certain age or amount of experience, they are looking to hire someone who will be the #2 guy in the company and has the clout to go toe-to-toe with CEOs and CIOs. Came right out and said that the other people being considered are VP+ level execs, most in their late 30s or 40s (I’m 27).

    So I at least know what I’m up against. And it’s fair, all else equal, who is a CEO more likely to give his business to? But just need to show that I’m a superior candidate than the others however I can.
    Glad you got to that discussion phase. As you said, now you know what they are looking for. Sounds like they do want a very unique skill set - strong technical skills in a small field and strong executive skills and experience. Sounds like they are really looking for a strong executive, and probably willing to take a little less technical skill. Nonetheless, good luck with your next round of discussions.

    Might want to put some info (location, length of program, knowing if you meet their admission criteria) on a nearby "executive MBA" in your back pocket. (From what you wrote previously, I assume you don't have one.) Even if you have the personal chops to handle the role, the magic letters can be helpful. That would at least give you a plausible path to getting one "soon."

  6. #306
    Robert O'Kelley
    dashionista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Raleighwood
    Posts
    6,179
    making a bit of a career trajectory change right now (hoping to move from marketing client management to product marketing)-- luckily with my company's acquisition earlier this year a ton of people have moved around and are offering to help me. just got word that a company wants to bring me in to meet with their product team next week-- woot!

    this was especially happy because they originally only wanted to talk to me about client management, and i convinced them that i'd be a better fit for product marketing . hooray!

  7. #307
    Robert O'Kelley
    dashionista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Raleighwood
    Posts
    6,179
    as soon as i typed the above, was informed i was getting a 25% pay increase at work. #theyknow #monitoringthepit?

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by dashionista View Post
    as soon as i typed the above, was informed i was getting a 25% pay increase at work. #theyknow #monitoringthepit?
    If that's your "consolation prize" it's a pretty good one.

  9. #309
    #ClawsIn #ManUp
    AnonymousDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    19,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Glad you got to that discussion phase. As you said, now you know what they are looking for. Sounds like they do want a very unique skill set - strong technical skills in a small field and strong executive skills and experience. Sounds like they are really looking for a strong executive, and probably willing to take a little less technical skill. Nonetheless, good luck with your next round of discussions.

    Might want to put some info (location, length of program, knowing if you meet their admission criteria) on a nearby "executive MBA" in your back pocket. (From what you wrote previously, I assume you don't have one.) Even if you have the personal chops to handle the role, the magic letters can be helpful. That would at least give you a plausible path to getting one "soon."
    Definitely possible, especially since my current place of employment would pay for it. The main downside is I'd have to stay with this company for another 2+ years which not sure is my best career move given the options.

  10. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousDeac View Post
    Definitely possible, especially since my current place of employment would pay for it. The main downside is I'd have to stay with this company for another 2+ years which not sure is my best career move given the options.
    Your prospective employer doesn't need to know that you don't really want to stay with your current company for long enough to get the MBA. You need to have enough about an MBA program to get the prospective company to look at your situation more favorably because you have a plan to get the magic letters.

  11. #311
    Here's another vote for getting the magic letters- in my insurance field the terminal advanced designation is CPCU ("Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter"). It's a hybrid insurance/business concentration. My dad used to always say that you can never have enough education.

    Took me as many years to get as to be a lawyer, but it hasn't failed me yet and I got an all expense trip to Hawaii for the graduation ceremony!

  12. #312
    Robert O'Kelley
    dashionista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Raleighwood
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by dashionista View Post
    making a bit of a career trajectory change right now (hoping to move from marketing client management to product marketing)-- luckily with my company's acquisition earlier this year a ton of people have moved around and are offering to help me. just got word that a company wants to bring me in to meet with their product team next week-- woot!

    this was especially happy because they originally only wanted to talk to me about client management, and i convinced them that i'd be a better fit for product marketing . hooray!

    after all of this, i got a form "rejection" email this morning, saying they were going to pursue other candidates. really shocking since on my call with the recruiter last week, she said she would talk to the hiring manager about bringing me in for an interview.

    what are the odds my application somehow got put into the wrong pile? I do know the recruiter is on vacation this week, as she told me not to expect any news until she's back next week. I just send her an email, explaining that I was confused to receive this response based on our conversation last week-- so maybe there's still hope?

  13. #313
    Sounds odd - maybe somebody's kid got the position or something

  14. #314
    Beer me DeaconPeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wherever good beer is
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by dashionista View Post
    after all of this, i got a form "rejection" email this morning, saying they were going to pursue other candidates. really shocking since on my call with the recruiter last week, she said she would talk to the hiring manager about bringing me in for an interview.

    what are the odds my application somehow got put into the wrong pile? I do know the recruiter is on vacation this week, as she told me not to expect any news until she's back next week. I just send her an email, explaining that I was confused to receive this response based on our conversation last week-- so maybe there's still hope?
    It is not uncommon for there to be communication gaps between clients & recruiters when both sides are conducting a parallel search. Hopefully it was a case of the client not knowing that you were on the recruiter's list of candidates to bring in.

  15. #315
    Sorry, Dash. I hope you get an adequate explanation.

    A form rejection after an in-person meeting/interview sucks.

  16. #316
    Robert O'Kelley
    dashionista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Raleighwood
    Posts
    6,179
    apparently my intuition was right, and communication was off between the recruiter and whoever was supposed to be covering her stuff while she was out. still in the running!

  17. #317
    So, there's an open permanent position doing the same thing that I am doing now (in a temporary position) in a different department. Should I apply or hope that my temp position here gets funded during budget time to full time? would it be weird to talk to my (brand new) boss about whether or not to apply?

  18. #318
    Last day of work at my position in Charleston, so it's fitting that I just got a call from the new office confirming my background check cleared and I'm all set to start there in May! Here comes fun employment!

  19. #319
    Think I crushed my interview today. The CEO really seemed to like my answers to a lot of her questions. Now we play the waiting game.

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicdeaC View Post
    So, there's an open permanent position doing the same thing that I am doing now (in a temporary position) in a different department. Should I apply or hope that my temp position here gets funded during budget time to full time? would it be weird to talk to my (brand new) boss about whether or not to apply?
    If you're in a temp position, I would go for the permanent one. Maybe talk to your boss about how likely your position is to become permanent.

    The risk a boss takes with a temp position is that the person in it leaves for something permanent. Hard to fault someone for doing that. Part of "temporary" is that they can let you go when the temporary period is over, or they declare it over. The flip side is you can go get a permanent position and leave anytime.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •