• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Congrats LCD

Everyone I know who has moved to Denver loves it and plans on staying there forever

All fair points. But in the most recent situation, it's a startup with around $10M in funding. 10 person team, looking to ramp up to 30, and I'd be joining as the #3 guy in the company (Head of Biz Dev). Not much opportunity at all for training.

The budgetary and management examples were for a different position in a more traditional, large company role. Definitely possible there.

Have an interview with their advisory board member on Tuesday.
Had the interview with the advisory board member and I believe it went well. Next step is a longer, more-in depth conversation after reviewing some of their materials.

In the conversation, he was very transparent in that while they are not looking for a certain age or amount of experience, they are looking to hire someone who will be the #2 guy in the company and has the clout to go toe-to-toe with CEOs and CIOs. Came right out and said that the other people being considered are VP+ level execs, most in their late 30s or 40s (I’m 27).

So I at least know what I’m up against. And it’s fair, all else equal, who is a CEO more likely to give his business to? But just need to show that I’m a superior candidate than the others however I can.

Last edited:
Had the interview with the advisory board member and I believe it went well. Next step is a longer, more-in depth conversation after reviewing some of their materials.

In the conversation, he was very transparent in that while they are not looking for a certain age or amount of experience, they are looking to hire someone who will be the #2 guy in the company and has the clout to go toe-to-toe with CEOs and CIOs. Came right out and said that the other people being considered are VP+ level execs, most in their late 30s or 40s (I’m 27).

So I at least know what I’m up against. And it’s fair, all else equal, who is a CEO more likely to give his business to? But just need to show that I’m a superior candidate than the others however I can.

Glad you got to that discussion phase. As you said, now you know what they are looking for. Sounds like they do want a very unique skill set - strong technical skills in a small field and strong executive skills and experience. Sounds like they are really looking for a strong executive, and probably willing to take a little less technical skill. Nonetheless, good luck with your next round of discussions.

Might want to put some info (location, length of program, knowing if you meet their admission criteria) on a nearby "executive MBA" in your back pocket. (From what you wrote previously, I assume you don't have one.) Even if you have the personal chops to handle the role, the magic letters can be helpful. That would at least give you a plausible path to getting one "soon."

making a bit of a career trajectory change right now (hoping to move from marketing client management to product marketing)-- luckily with my company's acquisition earlier this year a ton of people have moved around and are offering to help me. just got word that a company wants to bring me in to meet with their product team next week-- woot!

this was especially happy because they originally only wanted to talk to me about client management, and i convinced them that i'd be a better fit for product marketing :). hooray!

as soon as i typed the above, was informed i was getting a 25% pay increase at work. #theyknow #monitoringthepit?

Glad you got to that discussion phase. As you said, now you know what they are looking for. Sounds like they do want a very unique skill set - strong technical skills in a small field and strong executive skills and experience. Sounds like they are really looking for a strong executive, and probably willing to take a little less technical skill. Nonetheless, good luck with your next round of discussions.

Might want to put some info (location, length of program, knowing if you meet their admission criteria) on a nearby "executive MBA" in your back pocket. (From what you wrote previously, I assume you don't have one.) Even if you have the personal chops to handle the role, the magic letters can be helpful. That would at least give you a plausible path to getting one "soon."
Definitely possible, especially since my current place of employment would pay for it. The main downside is I'd have to stay with this company for another 2+ years which not sure is my best career move given the options.

Definitely possible, especially since my current place of employment would pay for it. The main downside is I'd have to stay with this company for another 2+ years which not sure is my best career move given the options.

Your prospective employer doesn't need to know that you don't really want to stay with your current company for long enough to get the MBA. You need to have enough about an MBA program to get the prospective company to look at your situation more favorably because you have a plan to get the magic letters.

Here's another vote for getting the magic letters- in my insurance field the terminal advanced designation is CPCU ("Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter"). It's a hybrid insurance/business concentration. My dad used to always say that you can never have enough education.

Took me as many years to get as to be a lawyer, but it hasn't failed me yet and I got an all expense trip to Hawaii for the graduation ceremony! :)

making a bit of a career trajectory change right now (hoping to move from marketing client management to product marketing)-- luckily with my company's acquisition earlier this year a ton of people have moved around and are offering to help me. just got word that a company wants to bring me in to meet with their product team next week-- woot!

this was especially happy because they originally only wanted to talk to me about client management, and i convinced them that i'd be a better fit for product marketing :). hooray!

after all of this, i got a form "rejection" email this morning, saying they were going to pursue other candidates. really shocking since on my call with the recruiter last week, she said she would talk to the hiring manager about bringing me in for an interview.

what are the odds my application somehow got put into the wrong pile? I do know the recruiter is on vacation this week, as she told me not to expect any news until she's back next week. I just send her an email, explaining that I was confused to receive this response based on our conversation last week-- so maybe there's still hope?

after all of this, i got a form "rejection" email this morning, saying they were going to pursue other candidates. really shocking since on my call with the recruiter last week, she said she would talk to the hiring manager about bringing me in for an interview.

what are the odds my application somehow got put into the wrong pile? I do know the recruiter is on vacation this week, as she told me not to expect any news until she's back next week. I just send her an email, explaining that I was confused to receive this response based on our conversation last week-- so maybe there's still hope?

It is not uncommon for there to be communication gaps between clients & recruiters when both sides are conducting a parallel search. Hopefully it was a case of the client not knowing that you were on the recruiter's list of candidates to bring in.

Sorry, Dash. I hope you get an adequate explanation.

A form rejection after an in-person meeting/interview sucks.

apparently my intuition was right, and communication was off between the recruiter and whoever was supposed to be covering her stuff while she was out. still in the running!

So, there's an open permanent position doing the same thing that I am doing now (in a temporary position) in a different department. Should I apply or hope that my temp position here gets funded during budget time to full time? would it be weird to talk to my (brand new) boss about whether or not to apply?

Last day of work at my position in Charleston, so it's fitting that I just got a call from the new office confirming my background check cleared and I'm all set to start there in May! Here comes fun employment!

Think I crushed my interview today. The CEO really seemed to like my answers to a lot of her questions. Now we play the waiting game.

So, there's an open permanent position doing the same thing that I am doing now (in a temporary position) in a different department. Should I apply or hope that my temp position here gets funded during budget time to full time? would it be weird to talk to my (brand new) boss about whether or not to apply?

If you're in a temp position, I would go for the permanent one. Maybe talk to your boss about how likely your position is to become permanent.

The risk a boss takes with a temp position is that the person in it leaves for something permanent. Hard to fault someone for doing that. Part of "temporary" is that they can let you go when the temporary period is over, or they declare it over. The flip side is you can go get a permanent position and leave anytime.

Back