• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

If you're in a temp position, I would go for the permanent one. Maybe talk to your boss about how likely your position is to become permanent.

The risk a boss takes with a temp position is that the person in it leaves for something permanent. Hard to fault someone for doing that. Part of "temporary" is that they can let you go when the temporary period is over, or they declare it over. The flip side is you can go get a permanent position and leave anytime.

Yeah, I actually have the job for a year and I just started, but this is where my thinking falls on it

If you're in a temp position, I would go for the permanent one. Maybe talk to your boss about how likely your position is to become permanent.

The risk a boss takes with a temp position is that the person in it leaves for something permanent. Hard to fault someone for doing that. Part of "temporary" is that they can let you go when the temporary period is over, or they declare it over. The flip side is you can go get a permanent position and leave anytime.

As someone who works in the same environment as you, I would agree with this synopsis. Go for the full time permanent employment and benefits. If you stay internal there won't be as many hard feelings.

So we have some big consultant in for meetings on branding and such. I definitely get the sense he wants to reorg the whole place -- CEO told my boss and me before these meetings we were "non-negotiables" if it came to staffing changes. But seems like this guy hates everything we do and wants to start from scratch (the #vibes I'm getting). Hoping to get that call about a job offer any day now...

So we have some big consultant in for meetings on branding and such. I definitely get the sense he wants to reorg the whole place -- CEO told my boss and me before these meetings we were "non-negotiables" if it came to staffing changes. But seems like this guy hates everything we do and wants to start from scratch (the #vibes I'm getting). Hoping to get that call about a job offer any day now...

One of these guys?

The-bobs.png

no it's a branding "guru" who I think has a lot of friends who do what we do in-house, so will tell the CEO that he needs to use those guys instead of who we have

Get the severance check and then the new job. Win-win.

So I'm waiting to hear back on an offer at Company A (told I'd hear "early this week," but you know how those things go). Company B now wants me to fly down for a 2nd round interview. Initially I defs wanted to work for B over A due to location, company, job, etc, but I learned in the 1st rounder it's a 1 year gig as someone's on maternity leave, but if they grow or she doesn't come back it could become permanent.

A is now looking like the more sure thing in that it's a permanent gig. Do I now follow up with A to see if they've made a decision or wait it out?

I don't think there's a down side for following up with A. Just be sure to reiterate your thanks for the opportunity and your excitement for the position.

Good luck, man.

It's a really difficult time to take off work as we have a major program launch on the 14th that's been 3 years in the making. I already took off last Tue to go to Company A and last Friday for the long weekend. Thinking I'm gonna have to call in sick on this one (next Tue).

Does your current office know that you are looking to move?

I am about 3 months in to a "temporary" 1 year gig. I couldn't be happier that I took it because of location, atmosphere, work life balance. There's a chance it becomes permanent or a greater chance it gets renewed as temporary, but don't let the 1 year gig thing scare you away. You can always use it for leverage in salary negotiations too

I am about 3 months in to a "temporary" 1 year gig. I couldn't be happier that I took it because of location, atmosphere, work life balance. There's a chance it becomes permanent or a greater chance it gets renewed as temporary, but don't let the 1 year gig thing scare you away. You can always use it for leverage in salary negotiations too

I'm a little apprehensive in that I'll be moving, so don't wanna be stuck if I can't find something else. It's in Asheville, which is 1b on places we want to relocate (W-S is 1a), so there's that.

I think I've posted before, but any mechanical or biomedical engineers out there interested in working in spinal medical devices, shoot me a PM, we're currently looking for people.

Edit: In Northern Virginia.

Anyone have any leads on a software sales job in the Greensboro/WS area? Actually, I'll take a lead on any mid-level sales job. Software is just my preference.

Decisions CT....

I got the offer for the job I've been interviewing for earlier this morning. Its a pay grade increase of 2 levels, and a hefty raise. The offer is within $500 of the number I had in my head. Since its the first offer, do I reject out of principle or since its close to what I was hoping for, should I accept? It'd be a less stressful job with more prestige.

Decisions CT....

I got the offer for the job I've been interviewing for earlier this morning. Its a pay grade increase of 2 levels, and a hefty raise. The offer is within $500 of the number I had in my head. Since its the first offer, do I reject out of principle or since its close to what I was hoping for, should I accept? It'd be a less stressful job with more prestige.

Some questions to help your thinking on this. You know your situation with them a whole lot better than someone in the internet peanut gallery. Most of the answers you probably shouldn't share openly either, I just present for your consideration.

How open (based on what you know about the new place) are they to negotiation? How much will it upset them if you ask for anything more - would it jeopardize the job offer? I doesn't sound like this is a situation where you want to put the offer in jeopardy over $500.

Do they know what you are currently making? What % increase is their offer? What additional % does the $500 represent? With the comment about the "two levels" of pay grade, what is the $500 more you would like with respect to the next level on the pay chart? Is it a reasonable reach to ask for a third level?

I wouldn't ask for just the $500. That's less than $10 per week.

As a comparator, the federal General Salary ("white collar" jobs) has 10 steps within each grade level. Grade is usually not negotiable, but the step within grade is. Each step is around 3% of the grade base,so a negotiation on salary is in the ~3% increments. Steps are earned every 2-3 years for time in grade.

Example GS-11: Step 1 = $51,298. Step 10 = $66,688; each step is 1,710, or 3.3% of the step 1 salary.

Decisions CT....

You're going to turn down a job over $500 ? You should blow that away in your first performance review.

Or are you asking about what you should counter with ?

Its more asking if I should even counter. It'll be within the same company, so they know what I make now. I never expected the offer to be as close to what I had in my mind, so that has blown me away. My question, is do I counter offer with the chance of them increasing the $$ by another few thousand. I dont think it'll be worth it, but I've always heard if they really want you, never accept the first offer.

Back