Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

$500 short of what you wanted on an annual basis? Maybe I'm just a #nervous type but I'd take it no question. Even if there is a 2% chance they reopen the search or your new manager has a negative view of you it ain't worth it.

Sheikh of Smoke
    Done. Accepted.

My last day here will be July 1st, my first day there will be July 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by tsywake View Post
    Done. Accepted.

Good luck with the new job!

Punishingly Intricate
    Done. Accepted.

congrats friend!

I like to think my advice was the tipping point. Congrats my man.

Quote Originally Posted by bmoneydeac View Post
    $500 short of what you wanted on an annual basis? Maybe I'm just a #nervous type but I'd take it no question. Even if there is a 2% chance they reopen the search or your new manager has a negative view of you it ain't worth it.
    i'm super risk-averse in things like this, so yes - this would have been my feeling, too.

Done. Accepted.

I know how to spell definitely.

Way to go, tsy! Wolf1297 will bring congratulatory uber beer to you at Bristol (if not before).

#ClawsIn #ManUp
    Congrats, Tsy. Enjoy the lame duck session for the rest of the month.

Should of asked for something, anything really. Worked in a free week vacation or something.

Sheikh of Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingWithMyDeac View Post
    Should of asked for something, anything really. Worked in a free week vacation or something.
    Same company, and I've been there long enough to get 7 weeks of PTO. Benefits wise I can't complain. I did ask for a few concessions, but those will be handled on a departmental level.

Overpaid Wax Extractor
    7 weeks? Wow that's terrific

Quote Originally Posted by BWELLS21 View Post
    Anyone have any leads on a software sales job in the Greensboro/WS area? Actually, I'll take a lead on any mid-level sales job. Software is just my preference.
    Potentially. Let me see what's open where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by bym051d View Post
    Potentially. Let me see what's open where I work.
    Thanks bym051d.

I just started a new job two weeks ago and I can already tell it sucks. I'm a software developer and this code was written 10 years ago and it shows. The problem however is that no one cares. The mantra seems to be, "well it works, so just leave it alone". The bigger problem is that as new features are written in, its written very poorly and it doesn't have to be the case. There's also no code review process. There's QA so your shit has to work but there's no one actually looking at the code to make sure you aren't writing shit.

Anyways, how long do I wait before I start applying for a new job? My wife and mother-in-law both say about six months.

Quote Originally Posted by lokisapocalypse View Post
    I just started a new job two weeks ago and I can already tell it sucks. I'm a software developer and this code was written 10 years ago and it shows. The problem however is that no one cares. The mantra seems to be, "well it works, so just leave it alone". The bigger problem is that as new features are written in, its written very poorly and it doesn't have to be the case. There's also no code review process. There's QA so your shit has to work but there's no one actually looking at the code to make sure you aren't writing shit.

Anyways, how long do I wait before I start applying for a new job? My wife and mother-in-law both say about six months.
    Start looking immediately. That type of shit is institutionalized, so unless you plan to make a stand at being an efficient code czar and try and carve out a niche that way, you need to get a move on.

The other side of the coin (as someone who has been in management at a software company for over a decade) is that so long as the code works and brings in a revenue stream you leave it alone. Introducing risk by trying to make the code better can be costly, especially if the other developers aren't as enlightened as you. We have a pretty staunch position against rewriting code just for the sake of rewriting it.

I did however manage to get some performance testing practices introduced into our coding and SQL writing about 8 years ago and it's made a huge difference in new development over time. We actually train our developers on using dotTrace and SQL profiler now, which only helps.

What if you guys are at the same company #awkward

Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    What if you guys are at the same company #awkward
    I'd try to get him promoted for actually giving a shit about nice code. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lokisapocalypse View Post

If you're at SAS, never ever ever ever leave.

Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

My boi does software and jumps every 6 months or so to get PAID but he knows his shit and is in Silicon Valley trying to hit a big one.