• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

alright fine that one can slip through but business jargon is still dumb. I also really hate how the words "brand" and "content" are the end-all, be-all.

The last few posts have made me appreciate my gov't position.

How frowned upon is it to change your job title on a resume? My job title is what I was brought in to do 3 years or so ago but because of layoffs and such I only do said job around 10% of the time now. I haven't "officially" switched positions during that time and my title has remained the same but its really not what I do and haven't done so for over a year and a half now. Thoughts? (probably not a big deal, but this is my first job out of college so its top of my resume which I'm blasting out pretty regularly now)

I would be cautious about changing the job title from what your HR dept will report as your job title. If somebody goes to check refs, and your HR reports back something different than what you claim, there will necessarily be some 'splainin' to do. The cover letter might be an appropriate place to explain major change in duties under the same title. Your resume should reflect your actual responsibilities and areas you cover. Talk to your HR about getting your job title changed to reflect the realities of your current position.

alright fine that one can slip through but business jargon is still dumb. I also really hate how the words "brand" and "content" are the end-all, be-all.

Matt's work just changed the word content to creative in all their job titles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked my boss what my job title was when getting business cards and he said "put whatever, instructional designer, project manager, instructional technology consultant, any combination of those things."

Also, my department is about to change names, do I just change the current job entry on my cv? Or make a new entry? People are doing both.

Also, my department is about to change names, do I just change the current job entry on my cv? Or make a new entry? People are doing both.

Make a new entry.

Job responsibilities and title the same? Just update the name. The more years in a position, the better.

Job responsibilities and title the same? Just update the name. The more years in a position, the better.

I am only 3 months into the job, so this seems unlikely to make a difference, but it is my inclination rather than making it seem like I jumped jobs after less than six months

I am only 3 months into the job, so this seems unlikely to make a difference, but it is my inclination rather than making it seem like I jumped jobs after less than six months

I will second the motion to just update the organization. Three months is too short a time to warrant a new entry. If it was a longer period of time (multiple years), then you might think more seriously about it.

Signed my offer letter this morning!

Now I'm #nervous about submitting my notice. Ideally I wanted like 3 weeks to a month before starting the new gig, but if I start on or before July 1 am eligible for a bonus of up to 15%, so I'd be dumb to pass that up. We have a major project launch tomorrow that's been 3 years in the making, so ideally I'd give notice on Wed, but puts me a little too close to the 1st to quit here and get down to Asheville. Should I just bite the bullet and do it today? The timing here is awful, but I gotta do it sooner than later.

Signed my offer letter this morning!

Now I'm #nervous about submitting my notice. Ideally I wanted like 3 weeks to a month before starting the new gig, but if I start on or before July 1 am eligible for a bonus of up to 15%, so I'd be dumb to pass that up. We have a major project launch tomorrow that's been 3 years in the making, so ideally I'd give notice on Wed, but puts me a little too close to the 1st to quit here and get down to Asheville. Should I just bite the bullet and do it today? The timing here is awful, but I gotta do it sooner than later.

You are rolling out. Give the notice sooner rather than later. I feel that most employees believe that they are more indispensable than they really are. As far as I am concerned, the only person looking out for you is you. Obviously, don't burn bridges (sounds like you won't), but you have to make that paper too.

Also, congrats!

Agreed. They'll manage without you. Announcing sooner rather than later gives them more time to work on a new strategy anyways.

Thanks. Did it today with my immediate supervisor. Will tell our CEO tomorrow since she's been a mentor to me. I've never really quit a job before: was laid off from my first job out of school, and I left my next job after my boss left to become the CEO of my current company and brought me over.

Is it okay to ask recruiters when references are checked in the hiring process, if they are checked at all? Don't wanna sound interrogative, but I also kinda need to know. I feel my current employer would be one of my best references, but you know, I don't want them knowing I'm looking for a new job, unless I know pretty well that I've already locked up the job. Thanks.

I was worried about the same thing. Back 6 months ago, before I officially started looking, I approached my supervisor and their supervisor and asked if they'd be willing to let me put them down as a professional reference if I needed one. They both agreed.

When I applied for the job that I just got, I put "references available upon request" on the application. After the first interview, they called and asked for my references, which I gave them but asked they not contact them until I had a chance to speak with them. I told the references that I had a successful 1st interview and that they may be contacted. That process worked out very well.

Reactions: Ayo
Thanks for the response, tsy.

I was worried about the same thing. Back 6 months ago, before I officially started looking, I approached my supervisor and their supervisor and asked if they'd be willing to let me put them down as a professional reference if I needed one. They both agreed.

When I applied for the job that I just got, I put "references available upon request" on the application. After the first interview, they called and asked for my references, which I gave them but asked they not contact them until I had a chance to speak with them. I told the references that I had a successful 1st interview and that they may be contacted. That process worked out very well.

This is a good way to handle the situation. You don't want to advertise to early that you are looking to leave, until something pretty solid shows up. But you also don't want to totally blindside your current manager, cause that sometimes leads to burned bridges.

Okay,

I have a line on some non-attorney positions in an established Washington DC -headquartered law firm. The firm has offices in other locations. All the positions would be in DC. The position descriptions below are very abbreviated. More elaborate descriptions are available if you PM me.

1. Manager/Director Financial Planning and Analysis. Manage, lead and direct work of staff who provide all financial planning for the firm. Prepare financial statements and management reports.CPA/MBA with experience.

2. HR Recruiting Assistant for non-attorney positions. Responsible for posting ads to find candidates, scheduling interviews, collecting interviewer feedback and hire/non-hire recommendations. College degree plus 2 years experience.

3. Marketing Technology Manager. Primary Liaison with the technology vendors and firm IT Department. On-line marketing. Manage website. BA or BS plus 7-8 years experience.

4. Senior Business Development Coordinator. Provide legal practice area specific marketing and business development for Intellectual Property and Telecom, Internet&Media practice groups. Drafting client proposals, writing tailored RFP responses. Degree in marketing, English, Communications or similar field plus 3-5 years experience.

Back