• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

i've been in interviews for a job I reeeally want at a company i'd love to work for for about 3 weeks now. just got a call from them thinking maybe it'd be an offer-- nope! one more round of interviews. sheesh.

here's where i'm at:
- round 1 phone interview with recruiter
- round 2 phone interview with hiring manager
- round 3 in person interview with 7 people
- HR calls back to ask for references (thought this was a good sign)
- round 4 coffee with hiring manager (only got 15 minutes with her during the in-person in round 3 because she was pulled into a fire, so we wanted to do a follow-up)
- Hiring manager asked to see some writing samples
- round 5 another in person with 2 more people-- (am guessing higher-ups, but haven't gotten confirmation yet).

hopefully after all this there will be an offer at the end of the tunnel!

At this point I'd turn them down. That's ridiculous.

At this point I'd turn them down. That's ridiculous.

They finally checked references yesterday-- am hoping for an offer Monday, and after my long search (since I've been looking to change roles fairly significantly) I'll be saying yes as long as they don't veer too far off from what I asked for salary-wise. It's 100% what I've been hoping to find.

The willing to relocate line is good to know, since I end up applying for a lot of gigs out of state. I've gotten interviews all over the place (Boston, Boulder, Berkeley -- hmmm, maybe I just need to apply to "B" cities) but I have been kind of worried that I may get cut for just that.

Yeah not every company will pay your relocatin expenses, especially if you're aiming to move there anyway, but luckily mine did and is paying first 3 months of rent.

Hoping someone will have some advice for me here.

I'm looking to relocate back to NC (no real preference for where, though most of my job search has focused on the Raleigh or Charlotte areas), and I'm looking for some sort of business analyst position. Problem is, I don't have any BA experience, and most entry level spots (which, hey, I'd take an entry level spot!) are looking for recent graduates. I graduated in 2012, and in the worst decision of my life to date, immediately took a shit part-time job (which turned into a shit full-time banker job). Quit there in January 2014, moved up here to RI, and ended up getting hired with the same bank, but in a legit job, in the sense that it pays fairly well and requires a college degree and all that. The issue here is that the job is really just fielding inbound client calls, and it was always supposed to just be a holdover while I found something I actually wanted to do. Two years and a promotion later, I'm still in a customer service phone bank, and while I think I'm getting paid really well for what I do, I want to make a move. The usual career path for my position involves going the wholesale banking route, which is something I know I don't want to do. I've been applying internally for "Analytics Consultant I" positions, to no avail. I minored in comp sci, and I know my way really well around Excel/C++/Java, am trying to teach myself Javascript and SQL. I dunno. I just feel like I'd be reasonably qualified for all these positions if I actually had, like, experience.

I guess I have two questions:

1.) How the shit do I find an entry level gig in my preferred field, 4 years out of school? When listings say they're looking for recent graduates, and I apply anyway, am I filtered/dismissed out of hand?

2.) If I'm applying to an NC position, how do I indicate that I'm willing/able to relocate? I feel having the RI address on my resume is an automatic dealbreaker, and my buddy offered me his Raleigh address to use, but I think that would bring up more questions than it's worth.

+1 on using the cover letter.

have you considered recruiters? contacting recruiters in nc via linkedin might be a good place.

have you considered pursuing a cfa?

I'm looking to relocate back to NC (no real preference for where, though most of my job search has focused on the Raleigh or Charlotte areas), and I'm looking for some sort of business analyst position. Problem is, I don't have any BA experience, and most entry level spots (which, hey, I'd take an entry level spot!) are looking for recent graduates. I graduated in 2012, and in the worst decision of my life to date, immediately took a shit part-time job (which turned into a shit full-time banker job). Quit there in January 2014, moved up here to RI, and ended up getting hired with the same bank, but in a legit job, in the sense that it pays fairly well and requires a college degree and all that. The issue here is that the job is really just fielding inbound client calls, and it was always supposed to just be a holdover while I found something I actually wanted to do. Two years and a promotion later, I'm still in a customer service phone bank, and while I think I'm getting paid really well for what I do, I want to make a move. The usual career path for my position involves going the wholesale banking route, which is something I know I don't want to do. I've been applying internally for "Analytics Consultant I" positions, to no avail. I minored in comp sci, and I know my way really well around Excel/C++/Java, am trying to teach myself Javascript and SQL. I dunno. I just feel like I'd be reasonably qualified for all these positions if I actually had, like, experience.

1.) How the shit do I find an entry level gig in my preferred field, 4 years out of school? When listings say they're looking for recent graduates, and I apply anyway, am I filtered/dismissed out of hand?

2.) If I'm applying to an NC position, how do I indicate that I'm willing/able to relocate? I feel having the RI address on my resume is an automatic dealbreaker, and my buddy offered me his Raleigh address to use, but I think that would bring up more questions than it's worth.

Your best bet will probably be to utilize LinkedIn.

1. Target the companies where you are applying
2. Find employees within HR (preferably an HRBP or Recruiter) as well as Managers within the department you are interested in - Send them a Connection request
3. If they accept, Craft the best note you can to explain your situation and desires to move. Make sure you formally apply for the position before emailing a particular manager.
4. You will want to preface that you are in process of moving to NC and are looking for a smooth transition into your next role.

If you can get that note in the hands of the right person, the manager will likely cue the recruiter to screen you further and then you will have an opportunity to explain how and why this is the best move for you.

I would start there if I was in your shoes.

RSF - after a year or so of looking outside of Charleston, I made the move to Denver a few months ago. I spent a lot of time working LinkedIn and trying to flip cold contacts into interviews, but what ultimately got me the job and facilitated the move was networking - using people I know to connect to people they know inside the company, and ultimately to the recruiters.

Best of luck in your job search.

RSF - after a year or so of looking outside of Charleston, I made the move to Denver a few months ago. I spent a lot of time working LinkedIn and trying to flip cold contacts into interviews, but what ultimately got me the job and facilitated the move was networking - using people I know to connect to people they know inside the company, and ultimately to the recruiters.

Best of luck in your job search.

Very good advice.

Would it be considered really shitty and/or burning bridges to back out on a verbal agreement to take a job if a better one comes along?

Background: Was a student last year, worked on a research study. PI of that study wants to keep me on and, while I've been applying around since graduating, has been trying to get money together to hire me. Nothing quite panned out in the job search and he gets his ducks in a row to hire me for Job A. I say yep, I got nothing else in the fire, let's do it. We plan to sign papers 8/11 or so.

Suddenly, today, I get an email asking about availability for a phone interview with Job B. It's a better job, higher paying, in NC, and is pretty much exactly what I've been reaching for since graduating, but didn't expect to get. I'm one of 6 people being considered. I'm talking to them today, don't know their timeline, but I'm already stressing about the potential, seeing as I'm on the verge of signing a lease/job papers back up in Baltimore.

Job A: fair salary for recent grad, Baltimore, good experience as an analyst/coordinator, ability to get expertise in new technologies
Job B: 33% higher salary, Chapel Hill, full step higher title as program manager, ability to get experience in more aspects of research, personnel management, local (WFU football tickets again!), etc.

Job A will exist and Job B probably won't happen for me but the close timelines and verbal agreement already in place have me stressing. Would it be really shitty to back out of A if B gets offered or is it "all is fair in love and war"?

You've got to do what's best for you. If you go with Job B and the guy at Job A gets salty, so be it. Hopefully he would understand, but if not, fuck it.

Academia/research may be a bit different than commercial gigs, it's an incestuous business, but I agree with dkn and lcd. In the end, you still have to look out for yourself and pick the best option for your career.

Academia/research may be a bit different than commercial gigs, it's an incestuous business, but I agree with dkn and lcd. In the end, you still have to look out for yourself and pick the best option for your career.

Yeah... it's someone I'd still work with and have contact with for a long time. I really didn't expect this interview to come up. I still don't expect to be offered the job (I think I'm about 2 years off although my current experience somewhat uniquely aligns with the requirements) so I figure I'll just see what they say and only bring it up if I'm offered.

I don't know how big your field is, but people go where the funding is, and PIs expect that. Still, if it's someone with whom you have research and personal experience that you expect to continue, it's a tough call.

Back