• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Would it be considered really shitty and/or burning bridges to back out on a verbal agreement to take a job if a better one comes along?

Background: Was a student last year, worked on a research study. PI of that study wants to keep me on and, while I've been applying around since graduating, has been trying to get money together to hire me. Nothing quite panned out in the job search and he gets his ducks in a row to hire me for Job A. I say yep, I got nothing else in the fire, let's do it. We plan to sign papers 8/11 or so.

Suddenly, today, I get an email asking about availability for a phone interview with Job B. It's a better job, higher paying, in NC, and is pretty much exactly what I've been reaching for since graduating, but didn't expect to get. I'm one of 6 people being considered. I'm talking to them today, don't know their timeline, but I'm already stressing about the potential, seeing as I'm on the verge of signing a lease/job papers back up in Baltimore.

Job A: fair salary for recent grad, Baltimore, good experience as an analyst/coordinator, ability to get expertise in new technologies
Job B: 33% higher salary, Chapel Hill, full step higher title as program manager, ability to get experience in more aspects of research, personnel management, local (WFU football tickets again!), etc.

Job A will exist and Job B probably won't happen for me but the close timelines and verbal agreement already in place have me stressing. Would it be really shitty to back out of A if B gets offered or is it "all is fair in love and war"?

go for it! and also we could be neighbor-friends so i'm all about that job B life!

Only bring it up if offered and use it in negotiation tactics. As well, you should inform Job B that you already have an offer from Job A. It instantly makes you a more qualified candidate and also adds some urgency to the process.

Read this: https://medium.freecodecamp.com/ten-rules-for-negotiating-a-job-offer-ee17cccbdab6#.7whwqsh25

Not much salary negotiating working in research, haha. Only grant-funded positions with benefits set by HR. But I'll be sure to work A's offer into B's phone call.

Not much salary negotiating working in research, haha. Only grant-funded positions with benefits set by HR. But I'll be sure to work A's offer into B's phone call.

There's still some wiggle room. I promise.

Chic is probably correct.

Also, there's more to negotiations than just salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've learned that absolutely 0 video game companies offer development positions remotely. Most of the positions I've been applying for are web related and while none of them mention telecommuting, I apply anyway and I've gotten the HR screen from probably 75% of them. It always ends with a discussion about remote employment and how they don't do it now but would like to do it "someday".

Ugh.

They got Pokemon in old mexico or is it some knockoff Pokejuan or something?

Hoping someone will have some advice for me here.

I'm looking to relocate back to NC (no real preference for where, though most of my job search has focused on the Raleigh or Charlotte areas), and I'm looking for some sort of business analyst position. Problem is, I don't have any BA experience, and most entry level spots (which, hey, I'd take an entry level spot!) are looking for recent graduates. I graduated in 2012, and in the worst decision of my life to date, immediately took a shit part-time job (which turned into a shit full-time banker job). Quit there in January 2014, moved up here to RI, and ended up getting hired with the same bank, but in a legit job, in the sense that it pays fairly well and requires a college degree and all that. The issue here is that the job is really just fielding inbound client calls, and it was always supposed to just be a holdover while I found something I actually wanted to do. Two years and a promotion later, I'm still in a customer service phone bank, and while I think I'm getting paid really well for what I do, I want to make a move. The usual career path for my position involves going the wholesale banking route, which is something I know I don't want to do. I've been applying internally for "Analytics Consultant I" positions, to no avail. I minored in comp sci, and I know my way really well around Excel/C++/Java, am trying to teach myself Javascript and SQL. I dunno. I just feel like I'd be reasonably qualified for all these positions if I actually had, like, experience.

I guess I have two questions:

1.) How the shit do I find an entry level gig in my preferred field, 4 years out of school? When listings say they're looking for recent graduates, and I apply anyway, am I filtered/dismissed out of hand?

2.) If I'm applying to an NC position, how do I indicate that I'm willing/able to relocate? I feel having the RI address on my resume is an automatic dealbreaker, and my buddy offered me his Raleigh address to use, but I think that would bring up more questions than it's worth.

I put "Looking to relocate to North Carolina" at the very top of my resume for my NC search since I had a DC address. Then put something about that in the first paragraph of my cover letters. Seemed to work for me.

This is nice to know, I haven't been doing it, just putting seeking relocation in the cover letter.

RSF, if you're open to VA/DC, let me know via PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might have a lead for you in Raleigh. Will confirm and shoot you a pm!

RSF would you consider lovely GREENSBORO?

Anyone have any of these for CHARLOTTE? Looking for anything business analyst/marketing/sales related

This is nice to know, I haven't been doing it, just putting seeking relocation in the cover letter.

Yeah I got this tip from a friend who relocated to Seattle due to his wife's new job, and not having any local connection on his resume. Basically if people open up your resume and just see an out off state/city address they might immediately dismiss you.

Coming to this thread for some advice as usually you guys are pretty good about that.

Couple months ago was talking to a NYC based start-up that actively recruited me to join their team. They were not able to provide a compensation plan that met my needs given their current funding so we went our separate ways. Fast forward to last week where we connected again and they wanted to reopen conversations. Spoke with the CEO Saturday and the COO Monday. They have made it very clear I am their top candidate and highly desired.

Yesterday they asked me for "a ballpark range that is acceptable to you from a comp perspective" of which I provided a fairly aggressive one. Received an offer today of the following:

Given current budgets, and the fact that much of the work ahead of us if focused very keenly on closing deals as quickly as possible, I’d like to propose the following compensation structure:

• $xxxk on conversion of one financial services firm to paying customer status; (Nonny: this is slightly more than I'm making now, but it's in NYC vs. VA)
  • $xxxk on two conversions;
  • $xxxk on three conversions; (Nonny: this is the first level that met the comp range I provided)
  • Equity compensation to be agreed post first conversion, subject to negotiation.

First, sounds like they are offering a 100% commission based position. That was never mentioned in previous conversations. Second, I am not sure I completely understand this pay structure. Are they flat commissions or do they turn into a salary? And third, I don't like the equity comment as I would have no leverage in negotiations if I'm already working at the company for however long.

Those are my thoughts. What does everyone else think of this 'offer' by them? What would you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Coming to this thread for some advice as usually you guys are pretty good about that.

Couple months ago was talking to a NYC based start-up that actively recruited me to join their team. They were not able to provide a compensation plan that met my needs given their current funding so we went our separate ways. Fast forward to last week where we connected again and they wanted to reopen conversations. Spoke with the CEO Saturday and the COO Monday. They have made it very clear I am their top candidate and highly desired.

Yesterday they asked me for "a ballpark range that is acceptable to you from a comp perspective" of which I provided a fairly aggressive one. Received an offer today of the following:

Given current budgets, and the fact that much of the work ahead of us if focused very keenly on closing deals as quickly as possible, I’d like to propose the following compensation structure:

• $xxxk on conversion of one financial services firm to paying customer status;
  • $xxxk on two conversions;
  • $xxxk on three conversions; (Nonny: this is the first level that met the comp range I provided)
  • Equity compensation to be agreed post first conversion, subject to negotiation.

First, sounds like they are offering a 100% commission based position. That was never mentioned in previous conversations. Second, I am not sure I completely understand this pay structure. Are they flat commissions or do they turn into a salary? And third, I don't like the equity comment as I would have no leverage in negotiations if I'm already working at the company for however long.

Those are my thoughts. What does everyone else think of this 'offer' by them? What would you guys recommend?

Sounds like they don't want to pay you shit now. Are you directly responsible for making a financial services firm to paying customer status? Seems only worthwhile if you can exceed the 3rd option by signing up more than 3.

I've never had a problem with having salary/bonus tied to performance (but then again, I've never been in a commission structure). Times when I've been lowballed on salary, I've asked for a 6 month review with a guaranteed set raise percentage based on performance.
Can you estimate if the three conversions is likely attainable? Is that a new baseline going forward after achieving it?

I've posted here regarding engineering positions at my company before, but if anyone is interested or knows anyone interested in an entry to 3ish years experience marketing position in medical devices (spine), let me know.

Back