• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

yup. basically you can keep a hardline at the low end of what you told them.

if there is a relocation involved you can possibly move the needle if you can make the argument you underestimated the COL adjustment. this happened to me when i moved from dc to sf. i was offered a job in nyc or sf, and they asked for a comp number in each. i did a 20% COL adjustment for SF and i think like 50% for NYC + 10% raise for SF and 25% for NYC (i very much preferred SF). i didnt realize sf was closer to nyc in cost than dc. they offered in sf, and i started looking for apartments. when i realized the extent of the cost difference i came back and asked for more. they obliged. i would have been so underpaid relative to the market at our original agreement, so i think they were happy to up the offer to make me happy rather than me getting here feeling underpaid and jumped at the first offer.

What's the best way to apply for a project manager position without specific prior experience as a "project manager"? My resume is full of project support type experience, but I can't seem to clear the hurdle of having 3-5 years prior experience specifically in project management.

What's the best way to apply for a project manager position without specific prior experience as a "project manager"? My resume is full of project support type experience, but I can't seem to clear the hurdle of having 3-5 years prior experience specifically in project management.

Do you have experience with Basecamp or Wrike or any project management software? Have you taken a project management class? Do you have time to do a MOOC or AlISON course? I would highlight those type of things or you are just going to have to fudge your protect support roles as project management roles. But honestly, they aren't equivalent, so be prepared to have the hiring staff feel like you don't check that project manager box.

Had an interview in Charlotte last week that I think went really well. Sent my follow up thank you emails to the two supervisors I interviewed with as well as the HR I met with beforehand that afternoon. Was told to reach out to one of the supervisors mid-this week. Left a voicemail and an email on Wednesday, heard nothing back. Annoying

My wife heard back yesterday about a job she had an in-person interview for over a month and a half ago after dead air since the interview. Really bizarre. Take it easy and don't be aggressive with your correspondence.

Just saw the CEO of the company for the position I'm applying for is a WFU grad. Anyone on here familiar with the tech start up Econdash based in Charlotte? If so, gimmie dat connection hookup!

2 months later and I get this interview!

One question, they're making me fill out an application. One question asks for permission to contact my current employer, only choices are yes/no. How bad does circling no here look on the application?

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. But if you are worried about it, can you write in "check with me first" or something?

Circle neither. Be prepared to address it if they ask in the interview.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. But if you are worried about it, can you write in "check with me first" or something?

This, or just put No. You marking No on a Current Employer is not a red flag, not many expect that - if they asked if they can contact your past employers and you put No on all of them it would be.

2 months later and I get this interview!

One question, they're making me fill out an application. One question asks for permission to contact my current employer, only choices are yes/no. How bad does circling no here look on the application?

Got the offer today. Whaddup Queen City

I'm an internal (to the City) candidate for a job that was practically written for me. I know who the hiring manager is.
I have been scheduled for a 30min phone interview, to take place during my ~50min layover during a day of travel on Friday (LOL).

Is it appropriate to take advantage of the fact I know who he is and email the hiring manager at this point to let him know the situation and see if there are alternatives? I am sure the woman scheduling the interviews is not able to make any sort of concessions for individuals, but he probably could.

I'm an internal (to the City) candidate for a job that was practically written for me. I know who the hiring manager is.
I have been scheduled for a 30min phone interview, to take place during my ~50min layover during a day of travel on Friday (LOL).

Is it appropriate to take advantage of the fact I know who he is and email the hiring manager at this point to let him know the situation and see if there are alternatives? I am sure the woman scheduling the interviews is not able to make any sort of concessions for individuals, but he probably could.

Use every contact you can. There's no shame in job acquisition.

I am sure that even the woman scheduling the interviews is allowed to make concessions (or should be allowed). It's unreasonable for them to be like "this is your one shot, hope you don't have anything scheduled for this very specific time or you are SOL. Definitely reach out. If not to her, then to the hiring manager absolutely.

Back