• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Use every contact you can. There's no shame in job acquisition.

Ok, I was kind of leaning this way. That's what I did to initially get hired at REI; I was going to miss the interview period because of class, so I just went to the store and asked to speak to a manager and see if they could interview me right then.

Worked.

I am sure that even the woman scheduling the interviews is allowed to make concessions (or should be allowed). It's unreasonable for them to be like "this is your one shot, hope you don't have anything scheduled for this very specific time or you are SOL. Definitely reach out. If not to her, then to the hiring manager absolutely.

Yeah, this was my feeling as well. I land in philly at 2:30 Portland time, and was told "the last interview slot is at 1:45pm." I understand how hard it is to get a panel together, but comeeeonnnnnn.

You should be fine, but at some places they try to schedule 4-5 interviews with the hiring manager or committee knowing that 1-2 or even three may not make the interview. As long as all meet the standards of the job and it was a "fair" process mission accomplished. Then if the hiring manager doesn't like the three that made it, they will reach back out to "reschedule".

You should be fine, but at some places they try to schedule 4-5 interviews with the hiring manager or committee knowing that 1-2 or even three may not make the interview. As long as all meet the standards of the job and it was a "fair" process mission accomplished. Then if the hiring manager doesn't like the three that made it, they will reach back out to "reschedule".

This would likely not fly when I have hired for state jobs and assuming the city is similar, this may not be what lbe is dealing with.

This would likely not fly when I have hired for state jobs and assuming the city is similar, this may not be what lbe is dealing with.

Correct. There's a bit more of a process involved to make sure it is equitable in the eyes of The Man.

Alright then, sent an email to the hiring manager and didn't hear back. I'm certain he read it, I am assuming he is unable (or thinks it's imprudent) to respond at this point.

ALL OF THE VIBES that this goes smoothly tomorrow; I've changed my seat on the flight to be closer to the front of the plane so I can dart off as soon as we're down... but damn this is stressful.

So is this a preliminary phone interview or is it THE Interview ? Is everyone just getting a phone interview tomorrow or just you because you're not in town ?

So is this a preliminary phone interview or is it THE Interview ? Is everyone just getting a phone interview tomorrow or just you because you're not in town ?

I honestly don't know if it's prelim or THE interview. When I initially got the job that started me here, I was convinced it was a prelim after it was over because it was so short... but that 25min resulted in me getting an offer. Given the window of time in which they're conducting interviews tomorrow, I believe there are 5 candidates. Based on the fact I had my pick of time slots, I believe they called me first to schedule, which is positive (IMO). I am getting a phone interview because I'm not in town; other options are in-person, skype or facetime. I'm doing phone since I'll be literally running through the airport during the thing.

Yeah, if five candidates meet in person and you're on the phone, who do you think has the advantage ?

Anybody not running through an airport has an advantage. Phone vs. in person is the least of my worries.

Whatever, all I can do is do the best with what I can control. I've got this.

I'm currently in the waiting game. Had an interview on Wednesday and they indicated I was one of the finalists. Its doing PR/Marketing for a division of a university and the dean for that division is out of town through today. The committee indicated they would discuss with him next week, but said knowing him it would probably involve several discussions over a couple of days. They expect to know their decision "soon," but then it goes into the university's HR system. As one person on the committee put it, the Dean moves at 1,000 miles an hour, the faculty at 5-10 miles an hour and the HR department is light years slower than the faculty. They hope to have everything done and a person in place by the end of November, but indicated experience has told them it could be in December, which means job actually starting in January. In other words, there could be a lot of waiting and patience in my future.

Felt like I nailed the interview. Literally, every single question they asked me I was able to provide examples of items I have accomplished in the past pertaining to the issue in question (I spent 15 years working in a collegiate athletic department). I have never walked out of an interview thinking I have done better, which is probably not a good thing.

I'm currently in the waiting game. Had an interview on Wednesday and they indicated I was one of the finalists. Its doing PR/Marketing for a division of a university and the dean for that division is out of town through today. The committee indicated they would discuss with him next week, but said knowing him it would probably involve several discussions over a couple of days. They expect to know their decision "soon," but then it goes into the university's HR system. As one person on the committee put it, the Dean moves at 1,000 miles an hour, the faculty at 5-10 miles an hour and the HR department is light years slower than the faculty. They hope to have everything done and a person in place by the end of November, but indicated experience has told them it could be in December, which means job actually starting in January. In other words, there could be a lot of waiting and patience in my future.

Felt like I nailed the interview. Literally, every single question they asked me I was able to provide examples of items I have accomplished in the past pertaining to the issue in question (I spent 15 years working in a collegiate athletic department). I have never walked out of an interview thinking I have done better, which is probably not a good thing.
Private or public university? Either way, in my experience, January is even an ambitious timeline. Pretty much nothing gets done from thanksgiving on...

There is at least one poster that works at GT and I used to work in HR at Tech but I know some people in most of the other USG schools. Feel free to PM me if you want

Its a public university. I'm thinking they will make their decision in the next week. Then they are hoping everything with HR can be taken care of in the next 3-4 weeks. I've worked for two public universities previously. The first one interviewed the third week of November and started the second week of December. The second interviewed end of May and started beginning of July. However, this university is much larger and I could see it taking longer.

There is at least one poster that works at GT and I used to work in HR at Tech but I know some people in most of the other USG schools. Feel free to PM me if you want

Thanks, but this job isn't in Georgia. All of my previous collegiate experience is, first at Georgia Southern and then Valdosta State.

Anybody not running through an airport has an advantage. Phone vs. in person is the least of my worries.

Whatever, all I can do is do the best with what I can control. I've got this.

This went really well, for any interview- not just because of the airport factor. I think I could have been a bit more detailed on a question about professional development, but over all I'm confident I did as well as I could have. Should find out this week what's next.

So question for the board, especially for those that have worked in a collegiate setting...

Its been two weeks since I had my interview and I haven't heard anything. They warned me that it could take some time and would probably be in December once everything got through HR. My question is, do I email asking for an update or do I just ride it out?

Firstly, it's almost always fine to follow-up with the hiring committee - it shouldn't hurt you, as long as you do it professionally and don't badger them. They might give you an updated timeline, or give an indication which way your candidacy is going.

Depending on the institution, there are any number of factors that could be delaying a decision. I would not lose sleep over it (easier said than done).

Though, at the public and private institutions I've worked at, if you're not 'the one' it can be a long time before the other candidates are notified. The good guys will call you as soon as they're able, and the dicks will send an impersonal e-mail or physical letter way after someone has been hired. Hopefully, you're not dealing with that aspect of things.

Good luck.

Back