• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

HR might have a preference. Or you could do like I usually do and just stalk the CVs of others with the same gig (if there are in fact any others).

Schools can sometimes be unnecessarily stingy about this title, even if that's exactly what you are. In my experience it usually depends how they're funding the position. Still might be the most accurate way to describe it.

VAP positions are really the worst though. Wake relies on them quite a bit.

I also have a contact in the department who I could probably just flat out ask. Definitely can't go VAP without that title on the contract.

The waiting game is the worst.

Interviewed for a position the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I believe I was the first one to interview. They told me they were off for the holiday the three days after my interview and that they would have more interviews the week after (which was last week). They told me "no news is good news for a couple of weeks" and "we plan on contacting you whether you advance to the next/final round of interviews or not as we want everyone to know where they stand."

Its now been two weeks and the waiting is getting old. What really makes it old is I originally applied for the job at the beginning of September and have known since the end of September that I had been selected for an interview, but they didn't start interviews until two weeks ago.

that sucks bmoney no doubt you'll land on your feet somewhere, hopefully it's sooner rather than later

the last few jobs i've had the same cycle. crush it at the work, get serious props from management, build relationships with coworkers, then when i bring up wanting to get into management it is 'pay your dues' nonsense, so i pay it for a year or two and no progress is made so i either move laterally or gain a promotion in another area. i'm doing a good job of maintaining good relationships with the various departments i've been in, so when a managerial spot opens up i'll be front of mind. i've learned it is WAY more about building relationships in corporate life than crushing the work so that has been my main focus over the past few years. Wake teaches the 'crush the work' part well but the building relationships part comes in the form of a poorly constructed class called OTAB.

that sucks bmoney no doubt you'll land on your feet somewhere, hopefully it's sooner rather than later

the last few jobs i've had the same cycle. crush it at the work, get serious props from management, build relationships with coworkers, then when i bring up wanting to get into management it is 'pay your dues' nonsense, so i pay it for a year or two and no progress is made so i either move laterally or gain a promotion in another area. i'm doing a good job of maintaining good relationships with the various departments i've been in, so when a managerial spot opens up i'll be front of mind. i've learned it is WAY more about building relationships in corporate life than crushing the work so that has been my main focus over the past few years. Wake teaches the 'crush the work' part well but the building relationships part comes in the form of a poorly constructed class called OTAB.

Sounds like you are learning once more the old saw "its more about who you know and not as much what you know" when it comes to promotions etc.

The waiting game is the worst.

Interviewed for a position the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I believe I was the first one to interview. They told me they were off for the holiday the three days after my interview and that they would have more interviews the week after (which was last week). They told me "no news is good news for a couple of weeks" and "we plan on contacting you whether you advance to the next/final round of interviews or not as we want everyone to know where they stand."

Its now been two weeks and the waiting is getting old. What really makes it old is I originally applied for the job at the beginning of September and have known since the end of September that I had been selected for an interview, but they didn't start interviews until two weeks ago.

I applied for a position 3 weeks ago and got an email to do an initial HR interview. Knocked that out on a Friday, heard back 30 minutes later department head wants to talk. Had a phone interview with him Monday that I think went pretty well. He said I should hear back very soon from original HR lady. When if ever should I reach back out to her? End of next week? I don't do well with waiting.

I plan on reaching out Tuesday if I don't hear anything. That will be three weeks since the interview. Normally, I try to reach out after about two weeks, but figure since Thanksgiving was thrown in during this time frame, I would extend it a little.

Interviewed back in October for a job with a university. Didn't get the job, was their second choice, but they did refer me to another position within the university. Found out today that I have a initial phone interview on Monday. Maybe I will get lucky and both will want me and I can start a bidding war.

bmoney, any luck with the interview? Hope you landed it.
Barca, how are you liking the new job? Charlotte, right?

I've been trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up for about a year now. I finally finished up What Color is Your Parachute a few months ago, but haven't started the legwork part of the process yet. Mrs I/O loves her job, and I really want that same feeling and I know there's something out there that I would enjoy doing, I need to just figure out what it is. I do know that it's not within the corporate world though, I've worked for three different banks now and I'm just not cut out for that mentality.

I would definitely be curious to hear any recommendations regarding books or anything else that might help. I'll update my resume this weekend, as well as my LinkedIn profile. I'm definitely planning to pick up the Two Hour Job Search book I saw referenced here a few times as well. It's definitely my main goal for 2017.

Bmoney if that interview doesn't pan out, Mett may be able to reach out to some peeps at WF (the other WF), just let us know.

bmoney, any luck with the interview? Hope you landed it.
Barca, how are you liking the new job? Charlotte, right?

I've been trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up for about a year now. I finally finished up What Color is Your Parachute a few months ago, but haven't started the legwork part of the process yet. Mrs I/O loves her job, and I really want that same feeling and I know there's something out there that I would enjoy doing, I need to just figure out what it is. I do know that it's not within the corporate world though, I've worked for three different banks now and I'm just not cut out for that mentality.

I would definitely be curious to hear any recommendations regarding books or anything else that might help. I'll update my resume this weekend, as well as my LinkedIn profile. I'm definitely planning to pick up the Two Hour Job Search book I saw referenced here a few times as well. It's definitely my main goal for 2017.

Asheville actually. So far so good.

Bump. So I'm receiving a lot of interest from a big 4 consulting firm (likely as a Manager) but know my personality/lifestyle is not suited to traveling 80+% of the time.

What's the best way to obtain an offer allowing me to almost entirely work remote/out of my home office (Charlotte)? Is this even possible?

Bump. So I'm receiving a lot of interest from a big 4 consulting firm (likely as a Manager) but know my personality/lifestyle is not suited to traveling 80+% of the time.

What's the best way to obtain an offer allowing me to almost entirely work remote/out of my home office (Charlotte)? Is this even possible?

What type of work? If it's audit or something annual, you may be able to get a guarantee to remain with a Charlotte client that has annual business.

However, if it's not a consistent client, you can try to get guarantees for Charlotte based clients but I know that's pretty difficult beyond first engagement.

Other option is to get a job in their corporate functions departments where there's minimal travel and can often work remotely.

Last edited:
Get engaged on one of the big banks and profit.

What type of work? If it's audit or something annual, you may be able to get a guarantee to remain with a Charlotte client that has annual business.

However, if it's not a consistent client, you can try to get guarantees for Charlotte based clients but I know that's pretty difficult beyond first engagement.

Other option is to get a job in their corporate functions departments where there's minimal travel and can often work remotely.

Work would primarily be mortgage related, with most clients in Texas. Hence my concern.

Should I bring up my reservations regarding travel early on, or after a potential offer?

Work would primarily be mortgage related, with most clients in Texas. Hence my concern.

Should I bring up my reservations regarding travel early on, or after a potential offer?
Is it 100% a dealbreaker? I'm almost always of the opinion get the offer and then discuss but you'll probably be asked fairly early in the process if you're okay with travel.

As long as it's not a 100% dealbreaker, meaning a large enough salary or other perks would make you consider it, make it known early on travel isn't ideal but you're open to continuing the interview process. Then if/when you get the offer, negotiating travel isn't blindsiding them.

And worst case, an offer from them can always be used to increase chances of getting other job offers or internal benefits at your current company.

Is it 100% a dealbreaker? I'm almost always of the opinion get the offer and then discuss but you'll probably be asked fairly early in the process if you're okay with travel.

As long as it's not a 100% dealbreaker, meaning a large enough salary or other perks would make you consider it, make it known early on travel isn't ideal but you're open to continuing the interview process. Then if/when you get the offer, negotiating travel isn't blindsiding them.

And worst case, an offer from them can always be used to increase chances of getting other job offers or internal benefits at your current company.

Traveling nearly every week Monday-Thursday would 100% be a deal breaker. But I like your idea quite a bit. Plus, they reached out to me and seem very interested. My background/skill set apparently is pretty hard to find for them and very in line with what they need for these engagements.

Hate to break it to you, but regardless of what's promised or negotiated right now - for long-term success you'll have to be a road warrior. We make money by having you in front of the client.

Hate to break it to you, but regardless of what's promised or negotiated right now - for long-term success you'll have to be a road warrior. We make money by having you in front of the client.

By using "we" does that make you a partner? Having trouble understanding why having associates/managers in front of clients is that important as long as the project/engagement is successfully completed.

By using "we" does that make you a partner? Having trouble understanding why having associates/managers in front of clients is that important as long as the project/engagement is successfully completed.

Because as a manager there is also an expectation of business development, which is done by developing relationships with clients, which is best done face to face.

Once you're a manager at a big 4 you either need to be handed a book by a retiring partner or get your own, which you can't do remotely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back