• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Don't forget the biggest piece of leverage you have in negotiating salary for a new job. Unless the new job is purely lateral and you will be doing exactly the same thing for them that you were doing in your old job, they should not be basing your incoming salary on what you used to do. They should be basing that salary on what you WILL be doing for them.

I have never heard of any company asking for W2s from your last job. That's insane! (Not saying it isn't happening. It's just if someone asked me to present tax returns or W2s I would be like, "Are you serious Clark?")

A lot of third party recruiting firms are adding things like: Are you willing to document your earnings for last year with w-2's or tax forms. It's not the companies themselves (that I see), but the third party firms and then they say it's about helping you present your total cash (PTO, 401k match, etc). But it really is a way for the company not to get burned by either liars or people that keep talking about target opportunity when they have never hit target.

we're hiring a technical writer and a digital content strategist (website marketing person-- my old job!) again in raleigh. anybody know anybody? send 'em my way!

Reactions: BDL
whats the ecommerce scene like on the east coast anyway (outside of maybe nyc)

A lot of third party recruiting firms are adding things like: Are you willing to document your earnings for last year with w-2's or tax forms. It's not the companies themselves (that I see), but the third party firms and then they say it's about helping you present your total cash (PTO, 401k match, etc). But it really is a way for the company not to get burned by either liars or people that keep talking about target opportunity when they have never hit target.

Interesting. Maybe I am too old school and would miss out on opportunities, but if asked to share tax forms or W2s I would just say no. I go out of my way to not even provide current salary on an application if I can. Nor target salary range. That's BS.

Not providing salary on an application or even in a first interview seems fine to me. But a hiring manager shoulld probably be asking a candidate no later than 2nd interview what they're looking to make. Depending on how much that is, and the type of job role, it's reasonable to ask that candidate to substantiate past earnings and/or desired future earnings prior to even considering an offer. Especially in sales contexts, for the reasons D92 mentions above. It's mutually beneficial unless the candidate has something to hide.

Interesting. Maybe I am too old school and would miss out on opportunities, but if asked to share tax forms or W2s I would just say no. I go out of my way to not even provide current salary on an application if I can. Nor target salary range. That's BS.

That likely is too old school for a lot of people, especially big companies. Also, most of them will do employment checks and most employers will give out title, time worked at that company and your ending salary. They likely are going to find out either way.

The reason most companies have a salary range for positions is because the qualifications and background of the candidate will determine where they fall in the range - and past salary does as well. If you are going for a stretch job, don't expect that they would offer you high end of the range, because the expectation of what they think you should make can and does at time factor into the hiring decision.

And don't forget if your company needs Comp and Ben leadership.. Give me a call. (or give me your money either way)....

That likely is too old school for a lot of people, especially big companies. Also, most of them will do employment checks and most employers will give out title, time worked at that company and your ending salary. They likely are going to find out either way.

The reason most companies have a salary range for positions is because the qualifications and background of the candidate will determine where they fall in the range - and past salary does as well. If you are going for a stretch job, don't expect that they would offer you high end of the range, because the expectation of what they think you should make can and does at time factor into the hiring decision.

Oh I get it. I have worked for huge companies for the past several years, so I agree, they are going to find out. All I was saying, is I would not provide it upfront as part of a screening process. It's part of the "who flinches first, loses" mentality I have about salary. I want them to commit a number or a range before I let them know anything about my current salary. Again, the biggest thing is you're not typically making a perfectly lateral move so why does your current salary matter? (I know it does, but my point is that they should have a range or a salary in mind based on what you're going to be doing. They shouldn't care about what you were paid for what you've done in the past.)

If you just give in and immediately give them a number, you're at a disadvantage. It's like buying a car. Do everything you can to make them give you a number first.

With that in mind, they really should let you know something by the second interview so you're not wasting each other's time.

Is Linked In good for soliciting leads? If you are like me (in sales), cold calling has become a major bitch over the years with advanced phone systems, no receptionists, and really just folks not wanting to talk on the phone. Would you connect with a friend of a friend on what would be considered a "cold" email?

Is Linked In good for soliciting leads? If you are like me (in sales), cold calling has become a major bitch over the years with advanced phone systems, no receptionists, and really just folks not wanting to talk on the phone. Would you connect with a friend of a friend on what would be considered a "cold" email?

Why not ask the mutual friend to connect you?

Why not ask the mutual friend to connect you?

I am in the beginning stages of really trying to use it and had not gotten that far. Most folks that I know that are on it are not salesmen and they just kind of dabble in it. I'd love for it to be a substitute vehicle for cold calling.

BullDeacsLaw-- we are still hiring for a couple of things that might be pertinent. I'll see if i can locate some postings....

BullDeacsLaw-- we are still hiring for a couple of things that might be pertinent. I'll see if i can locate some postings....

thanks! her degree is in PR but she has done a bit of everything where she's at now

What do you want to do?

Really anything. Technically, I'm already doing what I want to be doing, I just need a second job.

I left the church where i was working in August to plant a new church in Greensboro. As we get started, I need another job alongside being the pastor of a new and very small church. I've been working part-time at a restaurant since September to help make up the difference between what I was making and what I'm making now - but the schedule isn't working all that well (have to get up @ 4 am when I work) and the pay is pretty terrible - plus it's not a great company to work for. My wife's job just got restructured as well, meaning she'll be making about 5k less.

So I'm looking for something new. It can be part or full time - I just can't really work nights and weekends. I know it narrows the field of jobs, but I'm looking for something that when I'm done for the day I can leave the job @ the job so I can still focus on being the lead pastor of a new church. I've applied for some administrative assistant jobs and some of the colleges around here and for the treasurer position at a local elementary school. I'm really open to anything. I know because I do have another job with the church plant, that is somewhat of a concern in getting a job, but because of how we structure our finances at the church (we take the whole "love your neighbor as your yourself" thing seriously - so 50% of our budget is spent on others outside the church and investment in the community and no more than 50% is spent internally), it will be at least several years before I would be able to be supported solely by the church.

If you know of anything in the area, I'd love to hear about it.

Back