• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Since you got a new job in June, you probably got a raise as well. This should create more of a refund as I bet they took taxes out of your base as if you were there the entire year.

Mo' Money! Mo' Money!

any pit employment lawyers? i am accepting a role with a software company in copenhagen that my current employer is considering a competitor. i signed a non-compete, but it is limited to the 12 months after terminating my employment. it also has language around territory and market. obviously this will be a new territory and the market is different than what i served under my current company's employment. i.e. my current company is in europe and does have a software offering that competes with my new employer but i never worked in that market. do i need to get with an employment lawyer?

any pit employment lawyers? i am accepting a role with a software company in copenhagen that my current employer is considering a competitor. i signed a non-compete, but it is limited to the 12 months after terminating my employment. it also has language around territory and market. obviously this will be a new territory and the market is different than what i served under my current company's employment. i.e. my current company is in europe and does have a software offering that competes with my new employer but i never worked in that market. do i need to get with an employment lawyer?

Yes

wooooooooord

talked to a friend that is an employment lawyer and the new org is reviewing with their counsel. seeming like i should be good.

I guess this is a good problem to have, but I'm not looking forward to turning in my resignation notice on Monday.

Backstory, currently working in Charlotte and grew up in High Point. Getting married in September. Had a company from back home reach out while on vacation last week and after two phone screenings, they extended an offer that's about a 35% raise with a hefty signing bonus. After a counter offer or two, I have verbally accepted and will be signing the paperwork this weekend. I love my current company, but returning home was always in the plans due to our families locations and the free child care that comes with that. Earlier than expected, but I couldn't pass up the offer. What sucks is I'm slated to start a new position with my current company June 1st and a ton of changes have been made to restructure two teams around that position. I know this is worst possible timing and will mess a lot of things up. Any advice, other than the truth? I'm not looking for a counter offer, my mind is made up. Just trying to minimize damage for a company that really treated me well (for the most part) over the last two years.

Just ghost them. Don't show up. Don't return calls.

I guess this is a good problem to have, but I'm not looking forward to turning in my resignation notice on Monday.

Backstory, currently working in Charlotte and grew up in High Point. Getting married in September. Had a company from back home reach out while on vacation last week and after two phone screenings, they extended an offer that's about a 35% raise with a hefty signing bonus. After a counter offer or two, I have verbally accepted and will be signing the paperwork this weekend. I love my current company, but returning home was always in the plans due to our families locations and the free child care that comes with that. Earlier than expected, but I couldn't pass up the offer. What sucks is I'm slated to start a new position with my current company June 1st and a ton of changes have been made to restructure two teams around that position. I know this is worst possible timing and will mess a lot of things up. Any advice, other than the truth? I'm not looking for a counter offer, my mind is made up. Just trying to minimize damage for a company that really treated me well (for the most part) over the last two years.

Congratulations.

Just be truthful about what happened and make every effort to aid in the transition.

Congratulations! Truth seems like the best option.

Good deal, thanks. I actually met with them over lunch and went ahead and laid it out there. Went well, all things considered. We usually cut all employees off the day/week of their resignation (due to billing access, customer information, ect.) but we worked out an agreement to stay on until the 31st. I'm happy with that.

just tell them you're moving to High Point, I'm sure they'll understand

lolz

You got a new job after two phone screenings?? Damn. Congrats!

I had a previous interaction with the company a year or so ago and have worked with their CEO in the past. Both parties knew the interest was mutual before the screenings, timing was the only issue until now.

Congrats on both the new job and also working out the transition with your about to be ex-employer. Very professionally done.

I had a previous interaction with the company a year or so ago and have worked with their CEO in the past. Both parties knew the interest was mutual before the screenings, timing was the only issue until now.

I think people worry about reactions to these sort of situations way too much. As long as you're not a dick about it, taking a job for the location or significantly better pay is never all that controversial. It might suck, but anyone that holds it against you is probably a hypocrite.

On a side note, if there's anyone in the DC or Norfolk area with a TS/SCI who has any experience at all with streaming technologies (hands-on keyboard), we're hiring. Even our junior positions are $150/hr, just have to be cool with offending some Google folks...

cover letter tips? links or cliffs? what to do about 1-2 things in job qualifications that i don't fit?

cover letter tips? links or cliffs? what to do about 1-2 things in job qualifications that i don't fit?

Are the qualifications you don't fit "must haves" or nice to have? How easy or difficult would it be for you to get them? What is your judgement about their importance to the job? And your ability to do it?

If it is possible get them, having a plan to get them is one way to address them.

Are the qualifications you don't fit "must haves" or nice to have? How easy or difficult would it be for you to get them? What is your judgement about their importance to the job? And your ability to do it?

If it is possible get them, having a plan to get them is one way to address them.

They are things like "knowledge of healthcare industry and HIPAA" and "experience in healthcare setting preferred."

I fit most of the other qualifications, my experience is just in a different field. Should I just try to translate my current experience to show competence to learn complicated rules/regs?

They are things like "knowledge of healthcare industry and HIPAA" and "experience in healthcare setting preferred."

I fit most of the other qualifications, my experience is just in a different field. Should I just try to translate my current experience to show competence to learn complicated rules/regs?

As they only list that as preferred you should have a shot. Your plan sounds like a good one. Need to bridge the gap between what you've done and what they say they eant and need. Are the other qualifications also listed as "preferred" or in more forceful language "must have, will have" etc.?

HIPAA is pretty specific sets of requirements. If they don't have someone to mentor you in its specifics, things might not go well. Its not just the statute. Its all the implementing rules and regulations that have to be followed.

Might also look at your background and see if you have a "nice to have" skill or experience that they didn't ask about but might be useful based on your read of the position description.

fuuuu

Division just re-structured; no longer reporting into my manager that brought me on. Moving to the FP&A team, even though I'm more of a generalist/analytics guy than financial analyst.

Anyone in FP&A? Tips for onboarding into that world?

Back