• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

This might be a shot in the dark, but I wanted to see if anyone has any business connections in Lisbon, Portugal that they would be willing to share or pass along? The Wake alumni network doesn't really list anyone, so I thought I would try the board.

I will be moving to Portugal in June with my wife to be, for a minimum of two years. My background is legal, mainly focusing on construction, transportation, and infrastructure. I am hoping to continue doing legal work, but am open to other alternatives.

Thanks.

I've got a friend, WFU grad, who lives in Porto. Its a little north of Lisbon, but if you want to PM me your contact information, I'll forward it along to him and ask if he'll reach out to you.

This might be a shot in the dark, but I wanted to see if anyone has any business connections in Lisbon, Portugal that they would be willing to share or pass along? The Wake alumni network doesn't really list anyone, so I thought I would try the board.

I will be moving to Portugal in June with my wife to be, for a minimum of two years. My background is legal, mainly focusing on construction, transportation, and infrastructure. I am hoping to continue doing legal work, but am open to other alternatives.

Thanks.

Sounds like fun. Congrats.

Anyone have experience with temp-to-full time gigs?

A recruiter reached out to me last week and I've been talking to him about a position that would be very, very similar to my current role. I've been with my company for 7 years now in a variety of positions (most shitty), but for the last year I've been in a role that's p much exactly what I've been looking for since graduating. There are some dope perks that come along with that-- I work from home whenever I want, and I have lots of accrued PTO, for example-- but the pay isn't great.

The position with this other company is being offered as a temp contract, with the intention to go full-time down the line, but there's no timeline on that, because hiring is currently on pause due to a merger. This recruiter (he's third party, not from the company) said that it would be a full-time position if it weren't for that merger, and the definite goal is to make it full-time as soon as the company gets the green light to do so. That's obviously a huge risk for me, though, and I responded as much. He said that they could compensate me extra while on the temp contract, and then go down a bit when I go full-time. And that's the trade-off... The numbers he's said I would get would be almost a 50% raise for me in the short-term, and about 40% over what I'm making now once I go full-time. That's a massive pay bump, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the risk.

Current job:
-Like what I do
-Low expectations (was brought on in an entry-level capacity, with an understanding that there would be a significant learning curve)
-Great job security
-Work from home whenever I goddamn please
-Tons of PTO / 401k matching / etc, from tenure with company

This job:
-$$$ (compared to what I'm making now, at least)
-Risk around temp contract
-Uncertainty about job security post-merger? It's a much smaller firm than where I am now
-Probably *significantly* higher expectations

wat do

They will fuck you if they get a chance, do not trust anything that dude says.

Yeah. I wonder if I could use it as leverage to get a raise from my current role. Honestly, I really like my job, just wish it paid a bit more.

Anyone have experience with temp-to-full time gigs?

A recruiter reached out to me last week and I've been talking to him about a position that would be very, very similar to my current role. I've been with my company for 7 years now in a variety of positions (most shitty), but for the last year I've been in a role that's p much exactly what I've been looking for since graduating. There are some dope perks that come along with that-- I work from home whenever I want, and I have lots of accrued PTO, for example-- but the pay isn't great.

The position with this other company is being offered as a temp contract, with the intention to go full-time down the line, but there's no timeline on that, because hiring is currently on pause due to a merger. This recruiter (he's third party, not from the company) said that it would be a full-time position if it weren't for that merger, and the definite goal is to make it full-time as soon as the company gets the green light to do so. That's obviously a huge risk for me, though, and I responded as much. He said that they could compensate me extra while on the temp contract, and then go down a bit when I go full-time. And that's the trade-off... The numbers he's said I would get would be almost a 50% raise for me in the short-term, and about 40% over what I'm making now once I go full-time. That's a massive pay bump, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the risk.

Current job:
-Like what I do
-Low expectations (was brought on in an entry-level capacity, with an understanding that there would be a significant learning curve)
-Great job security
-Work from home whenever I goddamn please
-Tons of PTO / 401k matching / etc, from tenure with company

This job:
-$$$ (compared to what I'm making now, at least)
-Risk around temp contract
-Uncertainty about job security post-merger? It's a much smaller firm than where I am now
-Probably *significantly* higher expectations

wat do

Hey, so I had something similar. I was told the original contract was 5 months with the possibility of it becoming full time after. I negotiated for a big pay bump to make the risk worthwhile, two years later I was still in the same job. Its all about is the compensation worth the risk. I have found that once a company gets you in, they are loathe to let you go just to bring someone else in. They are going to put the time and effort in to train you the initial couple months, and if they like the work you are doing, they are going to want to keep you, even if it means extending your contract rather than making you permanent (very common in govt). It sounds like your current gig is great (hook a brother up with remote work if you can), so maybe its just the salary. Contract work is a little stressful, especially when the contract is nearing its end and you don't know if it will be renewed, but the increased compensation is how they make it worth it. Some people can handle the stress and uncertainty and some cant, if the new salary allows you to have that month or two to look for work in case the contract ends, it could be worth it, but depends on your financial situation.

Staring down a 1% raise this year, dudes. Thanks NC Legislature! You make it all worth it.

Yeah. I wonder if I could use it as leverage to get a raise from my current role. Honestly, I really like my job, just wish it paid a bit more.

Was my first thought as well.

Do you have some information that proves your salary is at or below market value? Just sounds like a good way to have that conversation with your managers without coming across as threatening to leave.

What's the current prevailing wisdom on asking about the salary range for a position? I've got a phone screen coming up for a role that is interesting, but I'd like to make sure nobody is wasting their time if the salary isn't going to be close.

Is it ok to ask at the end of the initial phone screen?

What's the current prevailing wisdom on asking about the salary range for a position? I've got a phone screen coming up for a role that is interesting, but I'd like to make sure nobody is wasting their time if the salary isn't going to be close.

Is it ok to ask at the end of the initial phone screen?

Yeah - I usually ask before even setting up a phone conversation. Or at least tell them where I am out now (easily Googleable for my position) so neither side wastes time (although apparently recruiters have a ton of time, since half the jobs that reach out to me are just never ever going to happen from a comp perspective alone, which publicly available data would tell them - no I don't think I will change jobs to one that, if I perform well, might pay half of my current base).

Weirdly specific question here... I had an initial phone interview for a job that sounds interesting, and, though we haven't talked numbers yet, should be a decent increase for me. It would definitely be an expanded role and a better title - although with a smaller, but still large, company.

I've been with my current company forever. I like the work and make plenty of money. I am frustrated with the lack of opportunity for a different or expanded role. I am also tired of working for a company where the power resides in China.

But - this job would require a relocation to somewhere I am not entirely excited about relocating to. Of course I have indicated that I am willing to relocate. My plan, if offered is to try and talk them into letting me do the job remotely. Failing that, I would have to look carefully at the job... For enough money the relocation might not look so bad.

Now the question. Toward the end of the interview the guy brought up the fact that I have been in the area I am in for a long time. It was right at the end and I failed to address it in the moment - but now I wonder whether that was his way of figuring out whether I was really willing to relocate. I am writing him a thank-you email and trying to decide whether to address it in the note. I would say essentially that we are free and ready to move now that our kids are out of the house and there are no issues with moving them from their schools... But I don't know whether it is wise to explain how willing we are to relocate when my actual plan, if offered, is to make a pitch for doing the job remotely... My other option would just be to say thanks and leave it at that...

Wow, that was a lot. What do you think?

Weirdly specific question here... I had an initial phone interview for a job that sounds interesting, and, though we haven't talked numbers yet, should be a decent increase for me. It would definitely be an expanded role and a better title - although with a smaller, but still large, company.

I've been with my current company forever. I like the work and make plenty of money. I am frustrated with the lack of opportunity for a different or expanded role. I am also tired of working for a company where the power resides in China.

But - this job would require a relocation to somewhere I am not entirely excited about relocating to. Of course I have indicated that I am willing to relocate. My plan, if offered is to try and talk them into letting me do the job remotely. Failing that, I would have to look carefully at the job... For enough money the relocation might not look so bad.

Now the question. Toward the end of the interview the guy brought up the fact that I have been in the area I am in for a long time. It was right at the end and I failed to address it in the moment - but now I wonder whether that was his way of figuring out whether I was really willing to relocate. I am writing him a thank-you email and trying to decide whether to address it in the note. I would say essentially that we are free and ready to move now that our kids are out of the house and there are no issues with moving them from their schools... But I don't know whether it is wise to explain how willing we are to relocate when my actual plan, if offered, is to make a pitch for doing the job remotely... My other option would just be to say thanks and leave it at that...

Wow, that was a lot. What do you think?

I dont think I would mention it in the thank you note, particularly if you want to pursue the job as a telework siituation. If you push the willing to relocate, the telework option becomes a little bait and switch.

The other option is to only address the interviewers comment, by simply stating why you stayed put, without any further coment about relo.

I think that would be something to bring up before you get into the offer process. (second interview if not the thank you letter)

If they are open about saying the job requires relo, not only could they pull the offer but it could mean no chance for them at for a later job. There might be reasons why they want relo (culture, technology, cost - my last company if they allowed remote work from home on an ongoing basis the workers comp premium went up 30% even if the remote work was all done in states where there was already a payroll nexis).

Go through the process and get a feel before the offer, do they mean have to relo or not before you get to the offer.

Back