• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I’d be interested in hearing if anyone has a company or site that is good for remote work. Flexjobs has been a bit of a let down.

Thanks

Bank of America and Kimberly Clark used to have a rep for being very flexible about work from home..

Like core team based in Charlotte, but FT members from San Fran, Fl, Boston...

Marriot and Hilton too.

ATL northern suburbs are not wildly different from the Raleigh suburbs.

It's all relative. There are plenty of ways to live in the Triangle and have an Atlanta-like commute.

Alright well living in Atlanta guarantees that you’ll have an Atlanta-like commute.

Sure, but if the job is somewhere in the Perimeter Mall area and he buys a house in that area he has a manageable commute. Not everyone drives 90 minutes to work. Considering he lives in Cary, there are a lot of suburban Atlanta locations that would offer a similar lifestyle with an easy commute and greater access to big city amenitiies than Raleigh.

hitting my ten year work anniversary in a corporate environment

four promotions, only one of them was in the same dept, i've found it is much easier to get promoted by hopping depts and having key people vouch for you to the people hiring

the worst kind of boss is a nice shitty boss because you become complacent, a shit shitty boss is not the worst because you are extra motivated to leave

annual performance reviews are mostly worthless unless there is high quality specific constructive feedback as opposed to 'keep crushing it', seven of my ten reviews i received the max rating

being a good manager has a ton of parallels to being a good parent, i think about this a lot as i am relatively new at both

in my experience if a boss hires you they are more likely to care about you and invest in you as opposed to a boss who 'inherits' you via reorg, shuffle, giving into superiors etc.

i still regret not getting my CPA but i've accumulated loads of experience with management, Excel / VBA hacks, leadership, six sigma, presenting to execs, SQL, working collaboratively, being database admin for so many random systems and pushing myself to perform while still keeping family #1

hitting my ten year work anniversary in a corporate environment

four promotions, only one of them was in the same dept, i've found it is much easier to get promoted by hopping depts and having key people vouch for you to the people hiring

the worst kind of boss is a nice shitty boss because you become complacent, a shit shitty boss is not the worst because you are extra motivated to leave

annual performance reviews are mostly worthless unless there is high quality specific constructive feedback as opposed to 'keep crushing it', seven of my ten reviews i received the max rating

being a good manager has a ton of parallels to being a good parent, i think about this a lot as i am relatively new at both

in my experience if a boss hires you they are more likely to care about you and invest in you as opposed to a boss who 'inherits' you via reorg, shuffle, giving into superiors etc.

i still regret not getting my CPA but i've accumulated loads of experience with management, Excel / VBA hacks, leadership, six sigma, presenting to execs, SQL, working collaboratively, being database admin for so many random systems and pushing myself to perform while still keeping family #1

Nicely done- so what keeps you motivated and not ground down by corporate life after 10 years? I sometimes struggle with that.

I have an offer to go a private forensics lab in Sonoma County, CA from a state crime lab in Columbia, SC. The salary will be 2.5 times what I currently make, plus a one time cost of living adjustment, and they will pay to move my family across the country. Other benefits include insurance, 401K, LTI and grad school reimbursement (the last 2 I don't get now). It is basically the same job duties that I have now but with more formal recognition and the chance to being a key player in doubling/tripling the work output.

I was found by an outside recruiter, passed along to the internal talent acquisition group, and interviewed with the lab director (hiring manager) and site director (her manager). Talent acquisition pressed me hard after a verbal offer saying there was another candidate available but I pushed back stating that a cross country move was life changing for me and my family (wife/three kids). Lab people agreed and flied me out to Cali for a site visit. At this point we are just over a month past first contact.

The parent company of the lab is a major international pharmaceutical company who likes to use lots of metrics in determining compensation packages. The forensic lab itself is a small part of a larger company that is under the big umbrella. I feel like their offer may be maxed out in salary. As it stands, I am 99% sure I will take the job. So the question is: How do I squeeze out every last bit out of an offer? Are there things that I should ask for that one may otherwise overlook? Remember, I have been in a government lab for more than 17 years and there is no negotiating there.

Thanks in advance,

Forensicdeac

I have an offer to go a private forensics lab in Sonoma County, CA from a state crime lab in Columbia, SC. The salary will be 2.5 times what I currently make, plus a one time cost of living adjustment, and they will pay to move my family across the country. Other benefits include insurance, 401K, LTI and grad school reimbursement (the last 2 I don't get now). It is basically the same job duties that I have now but with more formal recognition and the chance to being a key player in doubling/tripling the work output.

I was found by an outside recruiter, passed along to the internal talent acquisition group, and interviewed with the lab director (hiring manager) and site director (her manager). Talent acquisition pressed me hard after a verbal offer saying there was another candidate available but I pushed back stating that a cross country move was life changing for me and my family (wife/three kids). Lab people agreed and flied me out to Cali for a site visit. At this point we are just over a month past first contact.

The parent company of the lab is a major international pharmaceutical company who likes to use lots of metrics in determining compensation packages. The forensic lab itself is a small part of a larger company that is under the big umbrella. I feel like their offer may be maxed out in salary. As it stands, I am 99% sure I will take the job. So the question is: How do I squeeze out every last bit out of an offer? Are there things that I should ask for that one may otherwise overlook? Remember, I have been in a government lab for more than 17 years and there is no negotiating there.

Thanks in advance,

Forensicdeac

Does the insurance cover family health and life insurance?
Searching LTI gets a lot of hits but none that make sense in this context. It is?

Thanks in advance,

Forensicdeac

Any moral reservations about working for big pharma? On account of Vice and Jon Oliver tells me that they is the devil, and all.

Does the insurance cover family health and life insurance?
Searching LTI gets a lot of hits but none that make sense in this context. It is?

Insurance does cover family and seems comparable to what I currently have. LTI for them is stock options (+/- based on my performance review) that matures after time as encouragement to stay working there.

Any moral reservations about working for big pharma? On account of Vice and Jon Oliver tells me that they is the devil, and all.

In general I am not too keen on big pharma as I personally feel way too many people are over medicated. However, my position will be almost exactly as it is now other than being in a private setting vs working for the state police. The end customers will be the same: police, medical examiners, attorneys etc. You make a good point though.

Back