• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

CONGRATS!!!!

Depending how far up in Sonoma County you are, it's a good mix of country and being a reasonable distance from a city.

CONGRATS!!!!

Depending how far up in Sonoma County you are, it's a good mix of country and being a reasonable distance from a city.

Nothing better than an geography lesson from RJ on a place 500 miles from his home. I wonder if the ocean is cold in that area.

Looking for some advice here:

-Just finished up final round interviews for a position I'm excited about - would be leaving my currently employer to take the job. Currently awaiting final feedback (i.e., final rejection or offer).

-Current boss is asking me to take on a modified role - no title or pay change right now - with future potential for increase likely. Boss pressing me to make a decision sooner than later.

What I'm trying to avoid is taking the modified role, my boss pushing out an announcement, and then me turning around and leaving. I don't have a good enough relationship with my boss that I'm comfortable telling her I'm making moves. Taking on this modified role wouldn't address the issues that are pushing me to look for a new role as well.

Any tips or ideas on how to approach my boss who is pushing me for a decision while I'm waiting to see if another offer comes in?

Compartmentalize it and do what's best for you if you were to stay with your current employer.

Worst case scenario is you can use your new position with your old employer as a bargaining chip with your new employer.

Agree with Biff, not a ton of loyalty from most companies right now, so you need to do what is best for you. If the modified role is better for you if you were to stay, take it and then decide on the other role once a decision is made.

While they may be upset you are moving if you do get the role, you can be honest about why you are moving - if your current org fixes the things that need to make you whole and you decide to stay, great, if not, there isn't really a burned bridge and you shouldn't feel bad.

Take the modified role. You don’t know you will get an offer

That’s a bridge to cross later

Does your boss pushing for the modified role offer any leverage to even partially address the issues that are pushing you out?

Compartmentalize it and do what's best for you if you were to stay with your current employer.

Worst case scenario is you can use your new position with your old employer as a bargaining chip with your new employer.

Agree with Biff, not a ton of loyalty from most companies right now, so you need to do what is best for you. If the modified role is better for you if you were to stay, take it and then decide on the other role once a decision is made.

While they may be upset you are moving if you do get the role, you can be honest about why you are moving - if your current org fixes the things that need to make you whole and you decide to stay, great, if not, there isn't really a burned bridge and you shouldn't feel bad.

Take the modified role. You don’t know you will get an offer

That’s a bridge to cross later

Solid advice guys, thanks for grounding me. I told my director I was interested and wanted to start sketching out a transition plan into the new role for 3 weeks from now in order to get some high priority project work wrapped up, to include the communication plan to the team. I'm still waiting to hear on a final decision on the other job, so I'll worry about what to do if an offer comes through - otherwise the modified role presents an interesting challenge and growth opportunity in the near term.

Does your boss pushing for the modified role offer any leverage to even partially address the issues that are pushing you out?

Possibly; one of my issues is with my direct manager and while that reporting relationship wouldn't change in the modified role, I would get a lot more autonomy and a chance to work more closely with my director and VP which would mitigate a few of my current grievances. Modified role also increases chances of promotion and/or better bonus payout at year end so there's some win there.

Solid advice guys, thanks for grounding me. I told my director I was interested and wanted to start sketching out a transition plan into the new role for 3 weeks from now in order to get some high priority project work wrapped up, to include the communication plan to the team. I'm still waiting to hear on a final decision on the other job, so I'll worry about what to do if an offer comes through - otherwise the modified role presents an interesting challenge and growth opportunity in the near term.

Let me guess - you have a military background.

Received an exceptionally strong offer from the outside employer; agreed in principal and now working through minor details but it definitely exceeded my expectations. Hoping we can get this thing finalized and move to the next chapter!

Received an exceptionally strong offer from the outside employer; agreed in principal and now working through minor details but it definitely exceeded my expectations. Hoping we can get this thing finalized and move to the next chapter!

Sounds good!

Good luck. Remember, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence because the septic tank has overflowed.

Congrats!

Yesterday was my last day as director for Amazon Redshift. I joined the team one year after service launch and was in the trenches for almost 6 years. Leaving was pretty brutal as I hired many of the engineers straight from school and watched them grow up.

I hoping the next journey is either my last or next to last. I’m starting at Google in a week as the director of a new data privacy service. Exciting but stressful times...

Last edited:
Back