Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38434445464748

Thread: Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WRS View Post
    Any opinions on getting an MBA from the Pit business experts? Here is my situation. I have 12 or so years of highly linear progression in financial services but am absolutely desperate to find a more challenging/intellectually stimulating job. A very high percentage of the jobs that I would consider are heavily biased toward candidates with an MBA. Iím not super enthusiastic about doing it for a few reasons:

1) I think MBAs have started to be viewed as less valuable and for a variety of reasons think that trend will continue to accelerate.
    2) Have a few friends who just graduated from Fuqua and they enjoyed the experience but the classes seemed pretty easy. Not sure how much they really took away from the classes other than exceptional mastery of the B school buzzword vocabulary.
    3) These programs are staggeringly expensive and I would be in the position of absorbing the cost myself.
    4) Related to 3, most of the jobs I see posted would likely involve a significant pay cut. Iím comfortable with taking maybe $50-75k less in total comp for the right job but canít really justify doing that AND paying >$100k for the degree.

Thoughts?
    I did a MBA through Western Carolina (night classes at UNCA), that, in total might have cost a little more than $20K if I remember correctly (I started in the fall of 2008)
    Of course, in the finance world, I'm sure no one is impressed by a degree from directional state university, but it "checked a box" that you seem to want to check.
    In my experience, it was pretty much a no-brainer as I was told if I graduated my company would (almost completely) reimburse tuition and give me a significant raise...but I had to do night classes and keep working
    But if you need to check a box, then think about doing a part time program as they seem to be (for whatever reason) cheaper than others. Maybe that's not the case anymore or maybe Western was just a really good deal. My brother did one through the University of Florida (he lived in Florida at the time) which he claimed was also cheaper than the full time program.
    Granted I did all this while I was single and had no other time commitments, so leaving the house at 7am and getting home a 10pm 3 nights/week + homework for a few years wasn't a problem...these days, with a wife and 2 samll kids, I don't know if that would fly for me (although I know people in my program who had a wife and kids at the time)

Appreciate the input everyone.

Nonny ó Good to hear from you. Thanks for checking in. Definitely need to get a bit more systematic in working my connections to uncover opportunities.

Bacon ó Thatís a heck of a deal. Even UNC, which is hardly regarded as a top program, is listed at $125k (!!) for two years. And most employers limit tuition reimbursement to the annual tax deduction limit of $5,250.

Going to adopt the mindset that I need to double down on networking and applying internally and externally over the next 6 months while we are in a bit of a holding pattern.

Anyone have job opportunity connections in Charleston, SC? My younger daughter recently moved there with no job (longish story) and is looking. She has 3 years experience in the event planning/management industry - working for an upscale restaurant chain in Greenville, SC. The hospitality industry is obviously struggling overall right now so she isn't seeing that many opportunities being advertised.
    She is interested in changing industries but doesn't have actual experience in other industries. I think she could be good at sales but it scares her a bit - the right type of sales would interest her - she is great with people, very organized, driven and detail-oriented...
    She has had some temporary work down there as an executive assistant for a lawyer, but that is ending...

PM me if you have any ideas or connections...

Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    Anyone have job opportunity connections in Charleston, SC? My younger daughter recently moved there with no job (longish story) and is looking. She has 3 years experience in the event planning/management industry - working for an upscale restaurant chain in Greenville, SC. The hospitality industry is obviously struggling overall right now so she isn't seeing that many opportunities being advertised.
    She is interested in changing industries but doesn't have actual experience in other industries. I think she could be good at sales but it scares her a bit - the right type of sales would interest her - she is great with people, very organized, driven and detail-oriented...
    She has had some temporary work down there as an executive assistant for a lawyer, but that is ending...

PM me if you have any ideas or connections...
    Your description of your daughter suggest she would be successful in sales. Most sales oriented companies have developed a product specific formula that has been successful. The hard part is learning and following that approach until it's reflexive. Simple but difficult.

Iím in the midst of a very unusual internal job application process. I submitted my application only a day or two after the job was posted and was immediately contacted by the internal recruiter to set up a 30 min call with the hiring manager. The conversation was good but focused heavily on the team and scope of this job which is a newly-created role. Then absolute silence for 10 days or so followed by getting 3 more phone interviews scheduled out of the blue. Again good conversations but not very technical or challenging. Also each of these conversations has been only 30 minutes and by phone only so difficult to gauge how the other person is feeling. Just finished the 3rd of those this morning and plan to send an email to the hiring manager to reconnect and restate my case for the role but have absolutely no feeling on where things stand.

How often would you say you get a reply to a TY email? Had a first rounder with someone in HR and he replied to my TY letter within about an hour of me sending. We left the call that heíd be in touch next week, but in all my years I dunno if Iíve ever gotten a casual reply to a TY email.