• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I'm kinda torn, tbh. On the one hand, it is a dog-eat-dog world and you gotta look after you - companies have no loyalty to employees anymore, so why should employees feel bad for screwing over a company? On the other hand, it would suck to go through a search, identify a candidate, make an offer, have the offer accepted, and then have the person take another job right before they were supposed to start - then you would have to start all over. That happened to us once - and by the time we found out and wanted to start the process over the corporate budget process had moved on and we lost the headcount - so we never got to fill the position.
I guess the only way it could come back to bite you would be if the industry is small and close-knit and they find out you are still interviewing. Or if you take another job and the first company starts bad-mouthing you to others in the industry...

"It happened to us once..."

Congrats on low balling candidates so your boss (you?) Could make more short term money.

Think long term and pay talent what it's worth.

"It happened to us once..."

Congrats on low balling candidates so your boss (you?) Could make more short term money.

Think long term and pay talent what it's worth.

Good try but we were paying plenty - the guy that did it to us decided to take a totally different job.

Seriously though, it is really hard to job search at 35 without any real professional accomplishment. I’m just stuck settling for another job I’m not really excited about for the same salary I was making 12 years ago.

All it takes is one company who thinks you are special. Play up some sort of niche you have. Listen to recruiters and head hunters. Interview with whoever you want. Its a free market, workers only advantage is that we can move around, no one is signing you to a 5 year contract. Companies will drop you with little hesitation so don't feel bad about interviewing. You are worth what the market is willing to pay you.

Good try but we were paying plenty - the guy that did it to us decided to take a totally different job.

So deaconson wasn't privy to the offer amount before accusing you of low-balling the candidate???

Shocking development here. News at 11pm.

Went for a new role but it’s on commission and so far it’s been a 20% pay cut from my previous role. Dude in my role last year made bank but they increased the goals substantially right as I joined. I was not notified of the goal increase during the interview process and my peers who also had substantial goal increases are either trying to leave or have already left.

If anyone has any ‘Sr Mgr’ / ‘Dir’ level leads in CLT or Winston send me a PM. I’m good with data analytics and I have people mgmt experience. Also have Sales experience but I’m ready to leave commissions after this experience. Happy to help anyone else on the boards with jobs in CLT as well; unless you’re someone like RJKarl I’d go to bat for most people on here.

I’ve learned via getting involved in hiring at my company we advertise the bottom 50% of a salary range that the position’s pay band is approved for. That way if they ask for more there’s room to negotiate, and if they don’t, room to move up. It’s more fair than advertising the top range and getting expectations wrong imo.

Seriously though, it is really hard to job search at 35 without any real professional accomplishment. I’m just stuck settling for another job I’m not really excited about for the same salary I was making 12 years ago.
From what you said about yourself, Sales and Entrepreneurship are great skills for the workforce
Every company needs sales reps
Or start a side hustle while doing your current job
Possibilities are endless

The older I get the more I realize I want to start my own thing but I lack the balls to do it

Corporate life seemed pretty sweet like 30yrs ago but now even with doing the cheat code stuff like having mentors in c-suite positions corporate life is endless waiting on older people to retire

My last job I was my boss’ succession plan but then I realized he’s going to be in the same job for 10+yrs and that’s a waste of 10yrs of my life

Before I always looked up to people around my age with the fancy VP job titles, now I look up to people like Nonny who have the balls to start stuff like Own the Moment (by the way mdmh I bet Nonny would hire you as a sales rep)

MDMH, have you thought about ways to turn your shoe hustle into something full time?

The older I get the more I realize I want to start my own thing but I lack the balls to do it

Corporate life seemed pretty sweet like 30yrs ago but now even with doing the cheat code stuff like having mentors in c-suite positions corporate life is endless waiting on older people to retire

My last job I was my boss’ succession plan but then I realized he’s going to be in the same job for 10+yrs and that’s a waste of 10yrs of my life

Before I always looked up to people around my age with the fancy VP job titles, now I look up to people like Nonny who have the balls to start stuff like Own the Moment (by the way mdmh I bet Nonny would hire you as a sales rep)

jesus, guess I gotta catch up with what Nonny is doing from a quick google search.

MDMH, have you thought about ways to turn your shoe hustle into something full time?

I thought about it a lot when I went back to work full time after the pandemic shut down. I couldn’t find another way to source rehab shoes like I had been, plus I never had enough quality inventory to make a livable profit anyway. I made about 17k profit over 2.5 years, but my source for inventory dried up.

mdmh, you could always be a DC cop

If that's the goal, change your title on LinkedIn to be something that is a better descriptor for your functional duties or something more inline with what your role would be called at other companies in your industry. You can change your LI settings to turn notifications off and make this change without it triggering an update to your network.

Good look here. Did this like 10 days ago and have already had a couple reach out, with a potentially promising call this afternoon.

If anyone has any good leads on a Sr Marketing Manager/Marketing Director level jobs in the direct to consumer/product marketing space, please PM.

If anyone has any good leads on a Sr Marketing Manager/Marketing Director level jobs in the direct to consumer/product marketing space, please PM.

Did I get you drunk enough you embarrassed yourself and got yourself fired?

Haha I did get pretty hammered that night but no, not a job for me

Was minutes away on Friday from leaving Big Nuke and moving to a new company but my current company came back at the 11th hour with a counter that convinced me to stay. The move would have been a significant change in lifestyle for me in a variety of good and bad ways, but ultimately I decided that it was better for me to stay. Nevertheless, it was an extremely stressful week. Way more stressful than I would have thought.

If you stay, (it may be too late) make sure they write in an employment agreement that says they have to give you a bigger severance package short of willful misconduct. They can still pip you but proving the willful is tough

Some places you take the stay offer, and all it does is give them time to source your job properly.

Back