• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I'm potentially looking to hire a preferably young (because of the product target demographic), recent graduate marketing/sales rep on a straight commission basis. Obviously the risk is no set salary, but the upside is potentially pretty large as the overall market is enormous and our product consistently gets top-tier, best-ever-made reviews so just a matter of getting it out there. Anybody have success reaching out to local college business schools to see if they have somebody with some balls willing to take a risk? Or are those schools going to steer their kids away from straight commission positions?

Absolutely, but what if you don't know anyone that works at a company that you are targeting? LinkedIn can be just like applying online. If you do nothing other then get your profile up and running, or just send in an application - then yea, might as well literally throw your resume into a black hole. By connecting with Managers, HR, and Recruiters within an organization, introducing and highlighting yourself makes their job easier then trying to thumb through dozens of resumes that all look the same.
This has the potential to be really annoying/naive if you're a recent college grad bugging top dogs at a big company

seriously i was just imaging what poor companies phillydeac has decided to bug in the past where the entire office talk for 2 days is that weird rando stalker on linkedin who is sending erreone odd messages

but in fairness there's not much downside and it could work

Last edited:
Really depends on the role, when I am hiring for lower level sales reps, I don't care about cover sheets. But, when I am hiring for managerial positions, I require a cover letter too - and when I don't get it, I rarely consider the person. I am looking to see if they are actually interested in the position and took any time to look at the company and description before applying. Standard cover letters suck and are easy to spot. For high level positions, hiring managers are looking for invested candidates - for low level, I am looking more for a skill set and job/academic history and if the person can competently put together a resume. A lot of bigger companies will have HR screeners that weed that out too - they only check for the items that are required before the look at the resume or pass it along. I hate using screeners, but sometimes you have to if the applicant pool is too big.

Exactly. If I was hiring a part time employee to fold bulletins and answer the phones, I wouldn't ask for a cover letter. But this is a big position (with a decent compensation package). I received one application within 30 minutes of positing the job. Which also promptly when to the trash. 30 minutes isn't even enough time to think about whether or not the job is a good fit, and surprise, no cover letter was included. I bet if I called that person right now, they couldn't tell me what city the church is in or what denomination we are.

Iappreciateit/buckets

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

First, I said request to connect with anyone (which millions of people do everyday). Secondly, I said to reach out to managers or people in HR (Not CEO's) every couple of months - not everyday.

I made a career coaching and assisting companies in hiring mode across all industries. I negotiate 10's of millions of dollars annually in salaries and have helped companies build buildings with all the expansions they go through due to the Org Development and hiring that myself and my team has completed.

The tips I have shared above are tips that have found hundreds of jobs for people in the posters situation(not people that I'm doing work for, but people who reach out to me with request for help).

But, if you don't think it will work, just keep randomly applying for jobs that a thousand other people have applied for. I'm sure it will work out, no problem.

Iappreciateit/buckets

First, I said request to connect with anyone (which millions of people do everyday). Secondly, I said to reach out to managers or people in HR (Not CEO's) every couple of months - not everyday.

I made a career coaching and assisting companies in hiring mode across all industries. I negotiate 10's of millions of dollars annually in salaries and have helped companies build buildings with all the expansions they go through due to the Org Development and hiring that myself and my team has completed.

The tips I have shared above are tips that have found hundreds of jobs for people in the posters situation(not people that I'm doing work for, but people who reach out to me with request for help).

But, if you don't think it will work, just keep randomly applying for jobs that a thousand other people have applied for. I'm sure it will work out, no problem.

HaHa! Nice April Fools joke.

Iappreciateit/buckets

10058dcb1b4362d026586078bdcfd1a21f6add9244f48ee814914b82d9892f5f.jpg

I'm potentially looking to hire a preferably young (because of the product target demographic), recent graduate marketing/sales rep on a straight commission basis. Obviously the risk is no set salary, but the upside is potentially pretty large as the overall market is enormous and our product consistently gets top-tier, best-ever-made reviews so just a matter of getting it out there. Anybody have success reaching out to local college business schools to see if they have somebody with some balls willing to take a risk? Or are those schools going to steer their kids away from straight commission positions?

don't hire a girl, she might be on the verge of getting wifed up and pregnant.

lol

Exactly. If I was hiring a part time employee to fold bulletins and answer the phones, I wouldn't ask for a cover letter. But this is a big position (with a decent compensation package). I received one application within 30 minutes of positing the job. Which also promptly when to the trash. 30 minutes isn't even enough time to think about whether or not the job is a good fit, and surprise, no cover letter was included. I bet if I called that person right now, they couldn't tell me what city the church is in or what denomination we are.

Are you entered into a most pretentious church competition?

Last edited:
poor guy finds his dream job but NOPE... Too quick on the trigger

So you invented a dildo?

don't hire a girl, she might be on the verge of getting wifed up and pregnant.

I'd actually prefer a girl for this position. The timeframe on this one is much shorter, so unless she was visibly showing I wouldn't care too much. But the hotter the better, provided her other qualifications are decent.

I'd actually prefer a girl for this position. The timeframe on this one is much shorter, so unless she was visibly showing I wouldn't care too much. But the hotter the better, provided her other qualifications are decent.
Everybody needs a hot sales girl, amirite?

Back