• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Any position where her boss will be a homely woman. That won't end well for at least one of them.

I get hung up with this interview question.

"What role are you currently in salary wise?"
(I tell them the honest answer.)
"You are applying for a promotion but would you be willing to consider a lateral move if it came available?"
(I answer "Yes I would consider it".)

It is a small sample size of three promotion interviews in the past three years but in two of them I was offered the lateral move - one I accepted 3yrs ago and one I declined - and one I wasn't offered anything. Moving forward I am going to change the answer to a more honest "No I will not consider a lateral move". I'm tempted to lie about my salary as well to frame the promotion interviews more like lateral interviews, but I don't like lying in interviews.

I get hung up with this interview question.

"What role are you currently in salary wise?"
(I tell them the honest answer.)
"You are applying for a promotion but would you be willing to consider a lateral move if it came available?"
(I answer "Yes I would consider it".)

It is a small sample size of three promotion interviews in the past three years but in two of them I was offered the lateral move - one I accepted 3yrs ago and one I declined - and one I wasn't offered anything. Moving forward I am going to change the answer to a more honest "No I will not consider a lateral move". I'm tempted to lie about my salary as well to frame the promotion interviews more like lateral interviews, but I don't like lying in interviews.

Are these positions within the same company you work for now?

Don't lie about comp for any in-house interview - way too easy for them to find out.

Probably not good to do it for any interview, lots of companies requesting to see previous W2s - but you can fudge it, if you want, by rolling in any extra comp if you get options or stock buy-back or 401k matches. You can definitely round up too, most people don't care about that.

Just because you will accept a lateral move is never taken into consideration on if you should get the promotion or not (at least not at any company I have ever worked at) - sometimes they do it to keep employees morale happy so that even though they are turning you down for the promotion, they see value in you and want you to gain extra experience in different roles to help you move up next time. I would take it as a good sign if they are offering you lateral moves.

For those of you that have moved across the country. How have you gone about doing it? Did the job take you there? Or did you look for a job in that specific location ahead of time?

My fiance and I want to move in the coming year and I need to figure out the most painless way to do it.

For those of you that have moved across the country. How have you gone about doing it? Did the job take you there? Or did you look for a job in that specific location ahead of time?

My fiance and I want to move in the coming year and I need to figure out the most painless way to do it.

You just do it with prospects. Ideally have a job, but that can lead to endless excuses and delays. My wife and I just did it (Eastern Pa to Denver) and it all worked out. It was the best decision we ever made.

SF SF SF

I wouldn't rule out a headhunter that works in the area you're targeting.

I have a phone interview coming up this week for Job A, but I would much rather be considered for a different position within the same company (Job B). I'm definitely qualified for Job B, but almost certainly overqualified for Job A (although it's in a field I'd like to break into which is why I applied). Is there a good way to express this on the phone while maintaining that I'd still be interested in Job A?

I have a phone interview coming up this week for Job A, but I would much rather be considered for a different position within the same company (Job B). I'm definitely qualified for Job B, but almost certainly overqualified for Job A (although it's in a field I'd like to break into which is why I applied). Is there a good way to express this on the phone while maintaining that I'd still be interested in Job A?

apply to job b using a secret identity

Anyone done contract IT work before?

I had a call with a firm in Denver and they're looking for contractors, though my preference is very much to be a full-time employee somewhere. Just wondering what some ups/downs are from your personal experience if you've done the contract thing before.

Anyone done contract IT work before?

I had a call with a firm in Denver and they're looking for contractors, though my preference is very much to be a full-time employee somewhere. Just wondering what some ups/downs are from your personal experience if you've done the contract thing before.

As a contractor, you are responsible for a lot more stuff on the tax side (e.g. employer and employee parts of FICA) than if you are an employee. Also, you need to figure in any retirement type stuff (IRA etc.) as part of your contract price. Make sure you get enough in your contract to cover all that stuff. I'd want at least 25% and probably 50% more to contract than I would accept in salary if I was a hired employee.

Back