• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

They are things like "knowledge of healthcare industry and HIPAA" and "experience in healthcare setting preferred."

I fit most of the other qualifications, my experience is just in a different field. Should I just try to translate my current experience to show competence to learn complicated rules/regs?

I know I'm late to respond here, but yes - translate your current to show competence. Depending on the sector, there may just be a bot initially screening for certain phrases/key words and it is important to hit all of the Knowledge/Skills/Abilities points they raise in the posting.

A headhunter reached out to me this week. The position would be a pay bump of ~10% over my current and would be a higher level role, although at a smaller company. So an upward move but not a huge leap. If my current employer bumped pay to that level, I probably wouldn't leave for this job.

I don't believe in getting an offer and trying to use that as leverage to get a pay bump at current job. I think once you say "I've got an offer from so and so..." it's best to just move on.

Any suggestions on whether/how to go to your boss in a non-threatening way before pursuing other options to say - "I've got a few data points and I think other companies would have me at $X. I'm generally happy here but would listen if other companies presented a better opportunity. Can we reevaluate my salary so that I'm sure my best opportunity is right here."? Or does even having that conversation in the context of "I may start looking" doom my future?

A headhunter reached out to me this week. The position would be a pay bump of ~10% over my current and would be a higher level role, although at a smaller company. So an upward move but not a huge leap. If my current employer bumped pay to that level, I probably wouldn't leave for this job.

I don't believe in getting an offer and trying to use that as leverage to get a pay bump at current job. I think once you say "I've got an offer from so and so..." it's best to just move on.

Any suggestions on whether/how to go to your boss in a non-threatening way before pursuing other options to say - "I've got a few data points and I think other companies would have me at $X. I'm generally happy here but would listen if other companies presented a better opportunity. Can we reevaluate my salary so that I'm sure my best opportunity is right here."? Or does even having that conversation in the context of "I may start looking" doom my future?

Companies give raises when you demonstrate value to them, not based on what others would pay. Tell them why you deserve the raise.

Companies give raises when you demonstrate value to them, not based on what others would pay. Tell them why you deserve the raise.

True, but market value is also a determinant of pay so data points on that should be relevant. In my experience companies pay you what they have to pay you to keep you from jumping ship (assuming they would rather you not jump ship).

True, but market value is also a determinant of pay so data points on that should be relevant. In my experience companies pay you what they have to pay you to keep you from jumping ship (assuming they would rather you not jump ship).

Relative timing may play a role here. How long since your last performance review and/or raise? When should your next one happen? Does your company do "out of cycle" raises?

And to echo the above, if you do have a conversation about increased compensation, make it about the value you bring to the company. Skills, knowledge, ability, capability, contacts and anything else relevant. Industry wide salary should only be a minor supporting point in your case, unless you are willing to walk.

Shot in the dark, but does anyone know a firm or business interested in a construction attorney? Last couple years have been in-house. Living in DC, but would be very open to moving out.

Resume question. I've worked various roles within the same company since 6 months out of undergrad at WFU. My current resume is 2 pages, but adding my current role and job duties will extend the resume to 3 pages. Is that ok, or should I try to keep it at 2 pages? I could remove my college and brief post college jobs prior to joining the company, which would reduce it back to 2 pages. Is it better for the resume to have a complete job history or just list relevant job duties from the past 15 years?

I think you can cut it to just the relevant ones on the resume. Some places (a lot of public universities to which I've applied) will have you fill out a more complete work history, but I think that often only needs to go back 10 years or so. I'd definitely get it down to two pages.

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to do a video interview for a position at another company, on a scale of 1-10 how uncool would it be to take said video call from a conference room at one's current employer (10 being the most uncool).

Resume question. I've worked various roles within the same company since 6 months out of undergrad at WFU. My current resume is 2 pages, but adding my current role and job duties will extend the resume to 3 pages. Is that ok, or should I try to keep it at 2 pages? I could remove my college and brief post college jobs prior to joining the company, which would reduce it back to 2 pages. Is it better for the resume to have a complete job history or just list relevant job duties from the past 15 years?

Agree with others. Drop the oldest/less relevant stuff.

Thanks for all the recs. I'll definitely keep it at 2. For years I operated under a CV instead of resume, but in recent years I've had to transition it over to a resume.

Thanks for all the recs. I'll definitely keep it at 2. For years I operated under a CV instead of resume, but in recent years I've had to transition it over to a resume.

My resume just includes the jobs that are in my current field. I do not include college jobs, my graduate assistantship, my mortgage job, or some others on there. Your resume should highlight your relevant education and experience for the job you're applying for. If they want more complete work history, you can cover that on the application.

2 is totally the norm for most mid career professionals I deal with. That being said, smoosh similar jobs into one to make space. I did get one that was 9 pages recently and included 4 pages of their publications. Needless to say, they wont be getting an interview.

2 is totally the norm for most mid career professionals I deal with. That being said, smoosh similar jobs into one to make space. I did get one that was 9 pages recently and included 4 pages of their publications. Needless to say, they wont be getting an interview.

Obviously the nine pages was someone thinking academic CV, where every bit of minutia is put down. I was in one situation where mid-career CV was expected to be double digits pages (including publications and presentations). If it wasn't you were considered lazy.

Obviously the nine pages was someone thinking academic CV, where every bit of minutia is put down. I was in one situation where mid-career CV was expected to be double digits pages (including publications and presentations). If it wasn't you were considered lazy.

Nice for academia to come along and remind everyone that the Palma/dv faceoff isn’t the lamest dick measuring contest around.

This might be a shot in the dark, but I wanted to see if anyone has any business connections in Lisbon, Portugal that they would be willing to share or pass along? The Wake alumni network doesn't really list anyone, so I thought I would try the board.

I will be moving to Portugal in June with my wife to be, for a minimum of two years. My background is legal, mainly focusing on construction, transportation, and infrastructure. I am hoping to continue doing legal work, but am open to other alternatives.

Thanks.

Back