• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Getting rejected for a job because they completely restructured the position and your skill sets don't match is the worst.

Getting rejected for a job because they completely restructured the position and your skill sets don't match is the worst.
Yep, I've definitely seen companies use interviewing for a role to actually shape the open role, and often even decide if it's necessary.

Wait, did that just happen with the Asheville interview? That was quick.

No for my job in Cary. The recruiter called me like 30 mins before my Aville one, which did not help my confidence. Had to shake it off and I think I did ok, but now I'm doubting. I think if I hadn't gotten the news today I would've thought I nailed today's interview. Vamos a ver.

Haven't been keeping up with this thread but had a quick general question for the masses. In a perfect world, I'll have three job offers with roughly equivalent (after cost-of-living adjustment) salaries that could send me to Baltimore, Philly, or NYC (Queens though I'd probably live in Brooklyn). Among them, I've only spent minimal time in Baltimore during grad school but generally liked it there. Never really explored Philly or Brooklyn. How do the boards feel about those places?

Haven't been keeping up with this thread but had a quick general question for the masses. In a perfect world, I'll have three job offers with roughly equivalent (after cost-of-living adjustment) salaries that could send me to Baltimore, Philly, or NYC (Queens though I'd probably live in Brooklyn). Among them, I've only spent minimal time in Baltimore during grad school but generally liked it there. Never really explored Philly or Brooklyn. How do the boards feel about those places?

Baltimore would be way better than Queens. I don't know a ton about Philly. Baltimore is a seriously underrated city that is amazing. Pretty sure those other guys haven't spent meaningful time here.

There are a TON of great relatively affordable downtown neighborhoods in Bmore. I guess you know that if you have spent some time here. Feel free to PM if you want some more detail.

There are a TON of great relatively affordable downtown neighborhoods in Bmore. I guess you know that if you have spent some time here. Feel free to PM if you want some more detail.

Yeah, if I "stayed" (well really moved back), I'd probably live in Mount Vernon or, less likely, Upper Fells or Canton (though I couldn't afford to live alone there). The jobs in NYC and Bmore would be more interesting than Philly too. I've just heard a lot of good stuff about Philly lately as a city for young professionals.

Yeah, if I "stayed" (well really moved back), I'd probably live in Mount Vernon or, less likely, Upper Fells or Canton (though I couldn't afford to live alone there). The jobs in NYC and Bmore would be more interesting than Philly too. I've just heard a lot of good stuff about Philly lately as a city for young professionals.

Philly is solid if you live downtown, easily walkable city - there are 7 schools that are spitting out 20-somethings that are all staying in the area - not expensive, tons of good places to eat and drink. Lots of super chill parts depending on what you are looking for. Public school system is trash if you have elementary age kids, but private schools arent pricey. Its better than Baltimore, and probably on par with Brooklyn since its cheaper to live and the tax rate is lower in Philly (7% vs 9.5% i think) - but Brooklyn has easy access to everything in NYC, so you have a lot more room to explore. Ive lived in both Philly and NYC - if you want big time city with a small town feel, do Philly - if you want to live in NYC because NYC, do that. Both are solid options and both mean you dont have to live in Baltimore.

I've been at my current employer for a long time - receiving typical small, incremental raises and excuses. We finally hired additional folks in peer positions to mine a couple of years ago, after years of my handling work for several people. I figured they were hired at higher salaries than mine, 'cause that is how things work. But, a year or so ago I accidentally learned that at least one of them was making at least 20%-25% more than me. I went to management and demanded a raise. I couldn't admit knowing what I knew and, of course, they will provide no information about what peers are making. Long story short, after a year of promises and delays and excuses I finally just received a 10% raise plus some stock that is worth another 5% or so a year over the next 4 years.

I'm happy about the raise but feeling pretty bitter about the struggle required to get it. This company is famous for waiting until people get another job and threaten to leave and then offering more money to keep them. Why don't companies realize that giving folks the least you can get away with just makes them spend their time looking for another job?

Mostly just venting but think I probably should get off my ass, hire a headhunter, and go find a new job. Problem is my field is pretty specialized and would likely require a move - which I am open to but the wife - not so much...

To some degree, I think you answered your own question. That company probably knows that despite frustrations, people will probably still not leave. Still shitty way of doing business and probably not best long-term.

Back