• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

With all your pay and stock options at those two jobs, you should be able to adopt several of us. :)

Ha. Let me get my kids to college and then I’ll consider additions to the family

Yesterday was my last day as Director of Engineering for Amazon Redshift. I joined the team one year after service launch and was in the trenches for almost 6 years. Leaving was pretty brutal as I hired many of the engineers straight from school and watched them grow up.

I hoping the next journey is either my last or next to last. I’m starting at Google in a week as the director of a new data privacy service. Exciting but stressful times...

#notsohumblebrag

Eh. Honestly was posting mostly about the break up of a pretty tight team. Maybe comes across wrong but didn’t intend it.

I have a 12 month no solicit which can be enforced. I suspect some will come my way but I have to be careful.

Anyone want to make a claim on the best resume font? Using the Googles for "best resume font" generates results that are all over the place.

Any opinions on getting an MBA from the Pit business experts? Here is my situation. I have 12 or so years of highly linear progression in financial services but am absolutely desperate to find a more challenging/intellectually stimulating job. A very high percentage of the jobs that I would consider are heavily biased toward candidates with an MBA. I’m not super enthusiastic about doing it for a few reasons:

1) I think MBAs have started to be viewed as less valuable and for a variety of reasons think that trend will continue to accelerate.
2) Have a few friends who just graduated from Fuqua and they enjoyed the experience but the classes seemed pretty easy. Not sure how much they really took away from the classes other than exceptional mastery of the B school buzzword vocabulary.
3) These programs are staggeringly expensive and I would be in the position of absorbing the cost myself.
4) Related to 3, most of the jobs I see posted would likely involve a significant pay cut. I’m comfortable with taking maybe $50-75k less in total comp for the right job but can’t really justify doing that AND paying >$100k for the degree.

Thoughts?

Obviously one point in favor of a top MBA is the network which is clearly valuable but much more difficult to quantify what that might mean longer term.

WRS,

The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll finish. If you go the part-time grad school route while continuing to work (like I did twice), it will be a rough 2.5 to 3 years, but totally doable and you won’t rack up debt. Depending on where you are, I’m sure there is a good program at a state school where the tuition will be much more affordable.

I can also tell you that demand for a graduate business degree runs opposite the economy. Good economy = B schools competing for applicants. Bad economy = people flocking to B school programs in droves.

WRS - don’t do it.

MBAs are not nearly as important as they used to be and often are seen as less valuable than real world experience.

If you want to join a new industry, find an alternative way to show value. You have a skill set that is valuable that may not exactly translate to the job you want, but it’s a foot in the door. Go for a large company because once you’re in, it’s far easier to network and move around.

I’d also guess through your investment companies and relationships you’ve prob got a very large network. Tap into that. Treat the networking aspect like a job or your personal b-school. You’re far enough into your career you can find better ways to get a job than getting an MBA.

Go MBA if ya get into wharton or the like. Don't if it's not a top 10 program. Tho if you're comfortable taking $75k less, stay where you're at, drop $75k buyin for a nice golf membership and find your next job that way.

I've been thinking similarly, but its not for the wanting to go to a large company and all that, I just kinda wanna go to Wharton. Not sure how that whole 2.5 GPA is gonna hold up.

Last edited:
But to your last point: Quantifying network: I'm 39, and I've never really in my life ever had to apply for a job. Everything was essentially handed to me from my Wake Forest connections:

1st job: Didn't get into any of the big4 accounting programs cause of said shitty GPA, got the one Wake got for me which I didn't interview for
2nd job: Worked for a client of the first job after I got fired from the first job for telling my manager to go fuck himself
3rd job: Guy my age from my first job's dad ran a firm
4th job: Buddy from Wake worked for a firm that did their taxes, and was in the same industry as my 3rd job. When my predecessor retired it was a "does anyone know anyone" intercompany email. Technically the first job I applied for, but I knew I was going to get it before I applied. Still there.
5th job: Friend I met from same buddy from Wake one day when going to play Poker got me this one. Didn't have to apply here, just a recommendation. Still there. Now just working 2 jobs.

So one can see the value in just being in a situation where you're around people who have the money to pay for the MBA themselves or presumably will be around said money and decision makers for the next 30 years. Probably worth it if you're still seeking challenges at this point in your career. I'm seeking how quickly can I retire.

Last edited:
I did the wake mba. 13 years after undergrad. It def helped me.

But I also made it through undergrad without an accounting or finance class.

If you already have that background do something else

Back