• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

$500 short of what you wanted on an annual basis? Maybe I'm just a #nervous type but I'd take it no question. Even if there is a 2% chance they reopen the search or your new manager has a negative view of you it ain't worth it.

I like to think my advice was the tipping point. Congrats my man.

$500 short of what you wanted on an annual basis? Maybe I'm just a #nervous type but I'd take it no question. Even if there is a 2% chance they reopen the search or your new manager has a negative view of you it ain't worth it.

i'm super risk-averse in things like this, so yes - this would have been my feeling, too.

Done. Accepted.

My last day here will be July 1st, my first day there will be July 5th.

:woot:

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Should of asked for something, anything really. Worked in a free week vacation or something.
Same company, and I've been there long enough to get 7 weeks of PTO. Benefits wise I can't complain. I did ask for a few concessions, but those will be handled on a departmental level.

Anyone have any leads on a software sales job in the Greensboro/WS area? Actually, I'll take a lead on any mid-level sales job. Software is just my preference.

Potentially. Let me see what's open where I work.

I just started a new job two weeks ago and I can already tell it sucks. I'm a software developer and this code was written 10 years ago and it shows. The problem however is that no one cares. The mantra seems to be, "well it works, so just leave it alone". The bigger problem is that as new features are written in, its written very poorly and it doesn't have to be the case. There's also no code review process. There's QA so your shit has to work but there's no one actually looking at the code to make sure you aren't writing shit.

Anyways, how long do I wait before I start applying for a new job? My wife and mother-in-law both say about six months.

I just started a new job two weeks ago and I can already tell it sucks. I'm a software developer and this code was written 10 years ago and it shows. The problem however is that no one cares. The mantra seems to be, "well it works, so just leave it alone". The bigger problem is that as new features are written in, its written very poorly and it doesn't have to be the case. There's also no code review process. There's QA so your shit has to work but there's no one actually looking at the code to make sure you aren't writing shit.

Anyways, how long do I wait before I start applying for a new job? My wife and mother-in-law both say about six months.

Start looking immediately. That type of shit is institutionalized, so unless you plan to make a stand at being an efficient code czar and try and carve out a niche that way, you need to get a move on.

The other side of the coin (as someone who has been in management at a software company for over a decade) is that so long as the code works and brings in a revenue stream you leave it alone. Introducing risk by trying to make the code better can be costly, especially if the other developers aren't as enlightened as you. We have a pretty staunch position against rewriting code just for the sake of rewriting it.

I did however manage to get some performance testing practices introduced into our coding and SQL writing about 8 years ago and it's made a huge difference in new development over time. We actually train our developers on using dotTrace and SQL profiler now, which only helps.

If you're at SAS, never ever ever ever leave. :eek:

My boi does software and jumps every 6 months or so to get PAID but he knows his shit and is in Silicon Valley trying to hit a big one.

Back